cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I keep my phone number?

Tyson3411
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently with Rogers and looking to switch to Public mobile, is it possible to keep my phone number that I have with Rogers?

7 REPLIES 7

@surreyboz wrote:

@Tyson3411 wrote:

I am currently with Rogers and looking to switch to Public mobile, is it possible to keep my phone number that I have with Rogers?

Transfering a number from one cell phone company to another is known as a 'Number Port or Port’. Number portability has been a mandated by the CRTC in Canada since 2007/08.  Almost every number is Portable as long as the service provider provides service in the area where your number belongs to. Example: You Can Not Port a Banff Alberta number to wind/freedom Mobile because wind/freedom doesn't provide native service in that area. Another Example You can not port any numbers other than Quebec & Ottawa Region to Videotron because they don't provide native service to rest of Canada.   

That's interesting information regarding the native service porting restrictions.

terri2mail
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes! I switched from Bell 2 months ago and kept my number. The process is simple. I’ve never been happier!! 

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Tyson3411 wrote:

Transfering a number from one cell phone company to another is known as a 'Number Port or Port’. Number portability has been a mandated by the CRTC in Canada since 2007/08.  Almost every number is Portable as long as the service provider provides service in the area where your number belongs to. Example: You Can Not Port a Banff Alberta number to wind/freedom Mobile because wind/freedom doesn't provide native service in that area. Another Example You can not port any numbers other than Quebec & Ottawa Region to Videotron because they don't provide native service to rest of Canada.   

ZfromVanC
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, just dont cancel your Rogers account until your phone number has been ported over successfully. Once you've activated your Public Mobile SIM card and put in a number port request, keep using your Rogers SIM until it stops working, then you'll know the port is complete.

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Tyson3411 It is very easy as mentioned earlier. Sometimes you can get a free SIM card at store during the weekend. Canada Day is coming soon, PM may have promotion too. Watch out for that. 

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Tyson3411 wrote:

Yes you can keep your current number, you will need to port it when your activate your account.  It's suggested you get a temporary number with PM first and make sure everything is working and then port your number in.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Tyson3411 wrote:

@Tyson3411  Absolutely, as long as you keep the rogers account active and "port it" into public mobile. Either at activation (follow activation steps) or by creating a new public number (preferred method below), and transferring it over after its all set up

Transfering it over (after, best method)

1. Login to Self-Serve
2. Go to Plan and Add-Ons > Change Phone Number
3. Click "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider"
4. Enter your number and click "Check Eligibility"
5. Click the "I am authorized to transfer this phone number" before you do anything else.
6. Fill in the box to the best of your ability.
7. Click Submit and wait (don't press anything else until everything is clear).

Need Help? Let's chat.