cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I call a Canadian number that is in the u.s.?

jaxie3-
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

can I call a Canadian number that is in the U.S.? With the unlimited talk, Canada and U.S.,  is that applicable to calling a Canadian number in the U.S. or will I need to purchase a long distance talk add-on?  

6 REPLIES 6

TaylorMeekins

Hey jaxie3;

Calling a Canadian number when they are in the United States usually doesn’t charge the dialer money. Usually the person who is traveling ( in the us) may possibly occur some roaming and data charges which may seem different then when they are local .

YOUR public mobile phone number will ALWAYS alert you if the call you are placing will be long distance . 

None the less , most public mobile plans will not allow you to call a LD (US-CANADA) number without a LD PLAN.

Hope I helped!

Thank you. 

jaxie3-

So I don't really need the unlimited call to U.S. then if I'm calling a Canadian number that happens to be in the states? Just get regular plan but with long distance add on?

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jaxie3- wrote:

can I call a Canadian number that is in the U.S.? With the unlimited talk, Canada and U.S.,  is that applicable to calling a Canadian number in the U.S. or will I need to purchase a long distance talk add-on?  

@jaxie3-To you, yes. it makes no difference where the person you are calling is located. So yes you can call them without needing anything special.

To them they will need to have service (partner carrier network) and be able to accept a call. They may need a roaming package or they may be paying a lot of extra money.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Long distance charges apply based on number you called, not where that person is.  

You can call your friend who has canadian number while their phone has connection. 

Roaming might apply to them if not in canada

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jaxie3- wrote:

If the Canadian number in US has the same area code as your phone number.  You don't need to pay long distance.  As far as PM is concern, you are calling a Canadian number whether it is in Canada or US.  

The Canadian number in US needs to have US roaming plan OR pay Canadian carrier by the minutes/text which will be expensive.

Use WhatsApp for text/MMS/voice call/video call over wifi is the cheapest way to communicate with the traveller.  This is what my family use to communicate with the traveler.  We use WhatsApp to communicate with family member even everyone are in Canada.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

As long as the Cdn user in USA has US talk, then you're good.

Need Help? Let's chat.