cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call Forwarding Question

MoraMan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I know that I can turn on call forwarding on my iphone and set the forwarding number, but I don't know if this is a phone level feature only? Is there a way to do it at the carrier?

Basically what I'm doing is changing my SIM out when I travel, but I want any calls to my PM number to be sent to another local number. I'm curious how this would work with my PM SIM sitting on my desk instead of being in my phone.

26 REPLIES 26

robertmay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

providing that your phone is lost and is in a position to still receive a tower signal.  unfortunately my recent lost phone happened in a crevase and has no reception so the find my phone apps wont help me.  But they are good when they are available.

robertmay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

currently having this very issue.  I just lost my phone off a cliff.  I was hoping i could log in to my account and call forward it to a friends phone number until such time as we can get to the bottom  and search for my phone.  So far the only way I can see to enable call forwarding is with the phone in hand.  Strange that I cant do it from within my account portal.

@srlawren

1000%

I have an old Public line that I really never use

With rewards its down to something psychotically cheap so I refuse to let it cancel

It has been call forwarding for over past years

No issues

(I think its a Telus system limitation since they do not count minutes used during call forwarding despite showing in call history)

Even the local only plans (no prov wide minutes) can even forward to any number

@srlawren wrote:

@kav2001c even if you don't any LD add-on mins?  Are you 100% sure???

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kav2001c wrote:

@srlawrenthis is false

Province wide plans have no issue forwarding to any Canadian number

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo @Haiggy do note that you can only forward your PM phone calls to a Canadian phone number, no matter what roaming and/or long distance add-on(s) you may have purchase, nor whether you are physically in Canada or the USA. 

[And, if your plan only includes Province-wide calling, then you can only forward your calls to numbers based in your home province, unless you have some long distance add-on minutes which will get used up with every forwarded call to a Canadian number outside of your home province.]

@kav2001c even if you don't any LD add-on mins?  Are you 100% sure???

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Most "recruiters" are nothing more than telemarketers

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Exactly. It's the employers you want to have your number, not the endless 'recruiters' who pay some website like Indeed or LinkedIn.

@kav2001c wrote:

@Haiggy

???

Cat Frustrated

I think I missed the point too; WHAT industry could you be in where you "spam" out a resume and do not want an employer to contact you back???

@Haiggy

???

Cat Frustrated

I think I missed the point too; WHAT industry could you be in where you "spam" out a resume and do not want an employer to contact you back???

Many positions require 6+ months for hiring process as a standard (I even had one engineering firm contact me back over a year after I submitted resume)

If you were out of province (or country) I would argue leaving the US contact number on resume is a better idea anyways than even trying to get into call forwarding internationally (btw if you REALLY want to do this, many VOIP providers such as VOIP.ms or Vonage will do it no hassle)

@Haiggy wrote:

I guess I missed the point I was trying to make. If it’s a carrier-level feature, why do you need a device to manage it? For $10/mo I could sign up for a dummy number for spamming my resume out and using a temp number for burning without giving out my real number. So much handier for when you don’t have cellular service too. If you are in the US and forgot to turn it on before you left, you’re hooped unless you want to buy a US add-on simply because you need your phone forwarded. 

@srlawrenthis is false

Province wide plans have no issue forwarding to any Canadian number

@srlawren wrote:

@mimmo @Haiggy do note that you can only forward your PM phone calls to a Canadian phone number, no matter what roaming and/or long distance add-on(s) you may have purchase, nor whether you are physically in Canada or the USA. 

[And, if your plan only includes Province-wide calling, then you can only forward your calls to numbers based in your home province, unless you have some long distance add-on minutes which will get used up with every forwarded call to a Canadian number outside of your home province.]

srlawren

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@Haiggy wrote:

So much handier for when you don’t have cellular service too. If you are in the US and forgot to turn it on before you left, you’re hooped unless you want to buy a US add-on simply because you need your phone forwarded. 

you are incorrect on this one.  while in the USA you can enabel or disable call forwarding without a USA addon.

Haiggy

I guess I missed the point I was trying to make. If it’s a carrier-level feature, why do you need a device to manage it? For $10/mo I could sign up for a dummy number for spamming my resume out and using a temp number for burning without giving out my real number. So much handier for when you don’t have cellular service too. If you are in the US and forgot to turn it on before you left, you’re hooped unless you want to buy a US add-on simply because you need your phone forwarded. 

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Haiggy wrote:

I'm disappointed that you can't do this at the carrier-level without the phone. If you lose your phone, and call forwarding is on, you cannot ring it to find it... or if your phone is stolen, there's no way to reroute your calls- your only options would be to cancel or suspend the line altogether.

I found being able to specify forwarding at a previous provider's website to be very convenient but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to come to PM.

For locating your phone though IOS, Windows Phone and Android all have the ability to do so.

IOS: Track and find your missing Apple device

Windows Phone: Find a lost phone

Android: Find your phone

In fact for me, just typing "find my phone" in a google search on my PC lets me locate my Android phone right there in the search results, with an option to ring it too. 🙂

Haiggy

I'm disappointed that you can't do this at the carrier-level without the phone. If you lose your phone, and call forwarding is on, you cannot ring it to find it... or if your phone is stolen, there's no way to reroute your calls- your only options would be to cancel or suspend the line altogether.

@nrg_svr wrote:

Great to see such helpful responses to a question I was already looking for the answer to.

Setting up 1 or 2 referrals with the $10 Public plan on offer right now and getting their landlines ported. They will then set up the forwarding to another number which won;t use up the $10 plan's limited minutes.... And then hopefully I can convince them to actually drop their other carrier cell plan as well and siwtch it over to Public when the time is right. 🙂

Beware: landlines can take up to two weeks to transfer. Do not close the accounts; that happens automatically.

If any live in apartments, and plan to pay by credit card, do not use the drop down "Apt #", rather, be sure the digits in the address field match the postal code used with the credit card.

I am glad you were able to find a relevant topic for your post. However, posting in old threads restricts your audience. In future you will have more assurance of help by creating your own topic on the forum, or sending a private message directly to the moderators.

Welcome aboard.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

nrg_svr

Great to see such helpful responses to a question I was already looking for the answer to.

Setting up 1 or 2 referrals with the $10 Public plan on offer right now and getting their landlines ported. They will then set up the forwarding to another number which won;t use up the $10 plan's limited minutes.... And then hopefully I can convince them to actually drop their other carrier cell plan as well and siwtch it over to Public when the time is right. 🙂

@MoraMan call forwarding is placed on phone then updated on network

Even if you remove SIM card the call forwarding (for old number) is still enabled (new SIM / number is unaffected)

If you put old SIM into a different phone when it registers on network it will show on the new phone that call forwarding is enabled

So call forwarding is tied to network and follows your SIM, not your IMEI (phone)

I'm still searching for the according post but am confident that call forwarding to numbers outside Canada is not possible, no matter what plan / add-ons you have.

A work-around would be forwarding to your local Canadian Fongo number, and adjust the settings in Fongo according to your needs - to be able to receive calls through Fongo you need a data or WiFi connection but I think you can forward the call from your Fongo number to a number at your destination (probably a charged service).

Edit: This is the most recent official statement from a moderator I could find: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Call-forwarding-to-US-phone-number/m-p/...

mimmo

@MoraMan  I believe you can only call to calls allowed in your plan (provincial or canada), international will not work.

@MoraManwrote:

Thanks all,

all coming together now. So if I wanted to forward to my US number, I assume I would need the US calling package or add on, correct?

mimmo

you can do the call forwarding in the USA without haveing a usa addon as long as you have a valid network signal.  I even canceled it  on my last cruise (using the cellular at sea network).  but it you travel outside of canada and USA you are out of luck.

I forward my calls to my fongo number. works great.

MoraMan

Thanks all,

all coming together now. So if I wanted to forward to my US number, I assume I would need the US calling package or add on, correct?

It's the same as turning your phone off - the SIM card can't be reached so the system automatically reroutes the call to your voicemail number or whatever phone number you have set up before you took the SIM out / turned the phone off. Easy to try out for yourself, no?

As you thought, call forwarding, when activated, bypasses your phone altogether. I did this just a month ago without issue.

MoraMan

@will13am Thanks, I think that answers the question I just posted to @Luddite.

So I just have to make sure to do this before I cross the boarder as I do not intend to add a roaming package?

Are you guys forwarding to Fongo type number?

MoraMan

@Luddite But then I will take the SIM out and my phone number is technically different, how will it work? Is it not a phone setting?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MoraMan, it is done on the phone as already confirmed.  However, it is a network level setting.  The setting on the phone is transferred to the network. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@MoraManwrote:

I know that I can turn on call forwarding on my iphone and set the forwarding number, but I don't know if this is a phone level feature only? Is there a way to do it at the carrier?

Basically what I'm doing is changing my SIM out when I travel, but I want any calls to my PM number to be sent to another local number. I'm curious how this would work with my PM SIM sitting on my desk instead of being in my phone.

Yes. The easiest way is to set it up with the PM SIM installed, then change out the SIM. I do it whenever I'm away.

Need Help? Let's chat.