cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a SIM-card

nmyshuniaiev
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am going to buy a cell-phone plan, using Public Mobile. And I want to order a SIM-card on the internet. So, is it ok that for all the plans there is only one type of SIM-card? Because I have checked some of the plans and they all propose to me to order the same sim-card.

8 REPLIES 8

The multi-size SIM card fits Full/Mini/Micro/Nano form factors (and almost every phone uses Nano SIM these days). You just downsize the pre-cut plastic perforations (pop them out by hand) to whatever fits in your device's SIM card slot. You can also (re)use the plastic spacers to upsize them again, although I admit this can make things a little wiggly in some older SIM card slots.

Some SIM cards contain add-on technologies - like extra NVRAM flash, active cryptomodules, RFID/NFC chips, etc - but Public Mobile uses none of these things, they only offer one-card-fits-all for everything.

I notice they don't even have gold-plated contacts anymore. Nor do the new devices they plug into. They're no longer designed to have a service life of more than a few years.

saeliux
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It is entirely normal that there is one SIM that will work for any plan. All other companies are the same.

This is what you will expect for a smooth transition:

1. Check phone is compatible with public mobile and unlocked

2. Get SIM card

3. Activate: Be ready to provide information on the number you are porting, enter friend referal to get $10 back, sign up for Autopay to get $2 off every month

4. Wait few hours for porting to be completed

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@nmyshuniaiev wrote:

I am going to buy a cell-phone plan, using Public Mobile. And I want to order a SIM-card on the internet. So, is it ok that for all the plans there is only one type of SIM-card? Because I have checked some of the plans and they all propose to me to order the same sim-card.

@nmyshuniaiev All SIM cards from public mobile fit in any phone they have no relation to your plan. Once you find a local retailer to buy one you can decide to activate in store where you should get a free one. Good if you are choosing a lower priced plan. If you want a plan $40+ you will qualify for the rbc promo as long as you activate online, pay with a credit card and put RBCREWARDS  in the promo box. It will give you $10 off for 6 months + 5gb bonus data add on all $40+ plans. Set up with Auto pay for 500mb monthly bonus and $2 reward. Make sure you enter your referral code halfway down the first page when activating for your $10 credit and your referrer will get a $1 reward every month. Promo box is on third page (pick a plan). Please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/RBC-offer for more details

Geez my disappearing posts are driving me crazy..? Anyone else having this problem today?

@nmyshuniaiev wrote:

The current generation of sim card is one-size-fits all with the the customer removing plastic cut-outs as needed to change to the different sizes.  There are old Public Mobile sim cards that are cut to specific sizes, but there likely aren't that many of those remaining.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@nmyshuniaiev you can also go to a Walmart, London drugs, wow mobile shop to buy a Sim card  and get it activated there if you choose 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@nmyshuniaiev  There is only one Public Mobile SIM card for all plans. No worries the same card will work with all plans. Please go ahead and order it. 👍

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The sim card will work will all plans.

The sim card can fit regular, micro, and nano.  You punch the size of sim card that is compatiable with your phone.  Most new phones take nano sims.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@nmyshuniaiev wrote:

Once you get the sim, then you make your plan selection and pay. One sim coverss all the plans. Make sure your phone is compatible at PM.  www.willmyphonework.net

Need Help? Let's chat.