cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying SIM card online

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So with all the hassle I've been reading about retailers not wanting to sell you a SIM card without activating it. How long does it take to purchase a SIM card from PM and receive it in Vancouver, BC?

18 REPLIES 18

powerg21
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I had no problems buying it at London Drugs. The clerk said if I wanted it activated and i said I will do it at home.   

@NDesai wrote:

Best is to leave the date range far apart so they ask your to enter your postal code. Linking your order number to your postal is very accurate than matching it with only date ra

In my case, I had no choice but shrink the date range.  If I didn't, it would say there are duplicates, but would not let me enter my postal code.  Only after making the date range shorter, would it prompt me.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@CalgaryBen  wrote:

In the CanadaPost app, it won't even let me click the "Track" button if I only enter the 6-digit number.  If I pad it with 3 spaces before or after, or with zeros, it says invalid number.  So a case where you pretty much have to use the website... but I can confirm it works!  Thanks for the info!

Yes, you're right.  You have to use the website to track with reference number.  You also might have to narrow the date range, because when it says there are duplicates, I've found that it doesn't show the results.

Best is to leave the date range far apart so they ask your to enter your postal code. Linking your order number to your postal is very accurate than matching it with only date range. 

@CalgaryBen wrote:

In the CanadaPost app, it won't even let me click the "Track" button if I only enter the 6-digit number.  If I pad it with 3 spaces before or after, or with zeros, it says invalid number.  So a case where you pretty much have to use the website... but I can confirm it works!  Thanks for the info!

Yes, you're right.  You have to use the website to track with reference number.  You also might have to narrow the date range, because when it says there are duplicates, I've found that it doesn't show the results.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 wrote:

While someone may have discovered it earlier, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it before him, but @NDesai has shown as that the sim card order number can be used a Canada Post reference number.  This means all orders can now be tracked without even needing to ask the moderators.

Well you don't say!  That's pretty cool!  I never even thought to try the 6-digit order number as the tracking number, and when I did just now on the canadapost.ca site, sure enough, there it was!!

@CalgaryBen wrote:

2 years ago when I ordered a SIM card, I had the same complaint as I have now: they send you an Order number and you can view that it's shipped, but they don't provide the tracking number, even though it'd be very easy to do so since it's Xpresspost.

While someone may have discovered it earlier, I don't recall anyone ever mentioning it before him, but @NDesai has shown as that the sim card order number can be used a Canada Post reference number.  This means all orders can now be tracked without even needing to ask the moderators.

CalgaryBen

I know the question is no longer relevant to the OP, but FWIW:

• I placed an online order on Saturday (Feb 16)
  • Monday (Feb 18) was a statutory holiday
  • Tuesday, I received a notification that the SIM card had shipped
  • Thursday (today) I found the SIM card in my mailbox.  I live in Airdrie (15 min north of Calgary), and the SIM was Xpresspost shipped from Missisauga.

So, within (on the earlier side of) the 3-7 business days!  This is a spare/backup SIM card, so I didn't really care when it arrived.

2 years ago when I ordered a SIM card, I had the same complaint as I have now: they send you an Order number and you can view that it's shipped, but they don't provide the tracking number, even though it'd be very easy to do so since it's Xpresspost.

Murco

@shskr  Glad to hear it worked out!

shskr

So I bought one at mobile shop (superstore) yesterday and i asked if PM can tell if I activate from a retail store. The person said yes. I said I'm buying one for someone else and want to activate it at their home to take advantage of the many promotions they have now. The sales clerk said I see, ok.

Everything is good. Thanks community.

Doonerz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just bought a SIM card at London Drugs - no questions asked.

As far as time before receiving a SIM Card through Canada Post - I've bought two. I live close to Calgary and one SIM was sent from Telus in Calgary and was delivered in two days. The other was sent from Toronto, and it took about 8 business days.

It shouldn't take long to Vancouver area unless they send it from the East.

smp99

I saw 2 posts on RFD, Toronto and Vancouver, both got it next day express post.  This was last week. 

There were some delays during the strikes, but the Canada Post strike is long over.

shskr

@Jose_F wrote:

Hi shskr,

It is nice to read that you want to become part of the Public Mobile family. Regarding the delivery time frame, we send it through Canada Post Xpresspost (Due to Canada Post’s service backlogs delivery make take longer than the typical 3-7 business days).

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any other questions, please send us a DM to Moderator_Team.

Sincerely,
José.
Public Mobile Moderators Team

I'm already a PM customer and happy with the service. I'm getting my family on board but been reading about trouble with retail stores forcing you to activate online. I want to activate it at home to take advantage of the promotions. I realize some promotions are online only and some are both retail and online.

Thanks

@Jose_F, the CanadaPost backlog has been over for almost 2 months.  There is no longer work stoppages.  Please stop blaming CanadaPost, and the members of CUPW for delays that are not there.

As for local SIM purchases, The Mobile Shop and London Drugs seem to be the most favourable for purchasing a SIM without the hassle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shskr wrote:

So with all the hassle I've been reading about retailers not wanting to sell you a SIM card without activating it. How long does it take to purchase a SIM card from PM and receive it in Vancouver, BC?

There've been many reported incidents regarding Walmart. I think I recall one with London Drugs. The trick with Walmart might be to go in and say you need a replacement SIM as though you already have service.

Otherwise other places you can get a SIM are:

K Mobile, Wow Mobile, The Mobile Shop (Superstore/Loblaws related), apparently some (not all) Koodo outlets - will sell you a SIM.

Jose_F
Customer Support Agent

Hi shskr,

It is nice to read that you want to become part of the Public Mobile family. Regarding the delivery time frame, we send it through Canada Post Xpresspost, typically taking between 3-7 business days.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any other questions, please send us a DM to Moderator_Team.

Sincerely,
José.
Public Mobile Moderators Team

RossN
Mayor / Maire

It will probably take a week,your best bet is going to london drugstore or an mobility shop if one is avaliable, I have dealt with walmart in the past and they can be terible for service on occasion

Murco

It depends on mail service. Some people were waiting longer then 8 days. If you have a London drugs near by they were great for me.

Need Help? Let's chat.