cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bell Prepaid Port - instantaneous?

raiger
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I want to port my mother-in-law over from Bell prepaid. I went into my own account, selected to change my number, put in her number, and it's eligible for porting. Good.

Assuming no typing errors on our part when filling out the porting form, my question is whether or not the port happens relatively instantaneously or not?

When I ported myself over from Koodo postpaid, it was immediate. If this is the case for Bell prepaid, then we will do it this evening. If not, then we will wait until next month, as her Bell account renews tomorrow.

She is bringing her own phone (OnePlus), so there should be no hiccups there. Also, my understanding is that only her account number is required, and not a pin (which I do not believe that she has).

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

@raiger wrote:

Just a follow-up: With the proper information available (phone number, name on account, account number), the port was instantaneous.

Texting and outgoing calls worked immediately. Incoming calls are going right to voice mail. Does this take a bit of time to become fully functional, or is there something that my mother-in-law needs to do on her end to get it entirely up and running?

@raiger  Porting is a two step process. 

Step 1: PM receives your port request, sets up the number with the PM network and submits the portrequest to Bell. Status: Done

Step 2: Bell releases the number. Status: Pending

I haven't seen many mentions of Bell Prepaid, but if you can call out and send texts but can't receive it does sound like the account is still being ported.

Is your Bell account still active? If so, put your bell sim back in and you may have full functionality. When the bell service stops working, put your PM sim back in and hopefully you'll be good to go.

raiger

Just a follow-up: With the proper information available (phone number, name on account, account number), the port was instantaneous.

Texting and outgoing calls worked immediately. Incoming calls are going right to voice mail. Does this take a bit of time to become fully functional, or is there something that my mother-in-law needs to do on her end to get it entirely up and running?

goldilock
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It is better to wait until next month because your mother-in-law's cellular provider account at Bell must be active in order to port it to public mobile, otherwise you can't transfer the number over. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@raiger  if you use onlt the bell account number and use the name on bell account exacty (even if there are spelling mistakes) in the porting page you should be fine....but.. being so close...

@raiger wrote:

I think that I would take a temporary number first, anyway, and then try to port as soon as everything is working properly.

I suppose that you are right, and no one can give a guarantee. I will leave it up to my mother-in-law to decide.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@raiger wrote:

Hi,

I want to port my mother-in-law over from Bell prepaid. I went into my own account, selected to change my number, put in her number, and it's eligible for porting. Good.

Assuming no typing errors on our part when filling out the porting form, my question is whether or not the port happens relatively instantaneously or not?

When I ported myself over from Koodo postpaid, it was immediate. If this is the case for Bell prepaid, then we will do it this evening. If not, then we will wait until next month, as her Bell account renews tomorrow.

She is bringing her own phone (OnePlus), so there should be no hiccups there. Also, my understanding is that only her account number is required, and not a pin (which I do not believe that she has).

Thank you.

@raiger Best to do it next month.

greygoose22

It is never guaranteed to be instant. It can take up to a couple of days in some cases and is why it is recommended to take a new number at first. Once the port is complete you can then switch to your number.

raiger

I think that I would take a temporary number first, anyway, and then try to port as soon as everything is working properly.

I suppose that you are right, and no one can give a guarantee. I will leave it up to my mother-in-law to decide.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@raiger  do it next month. if all goes well it will happen in two hours.  if there is an issue then you will need to renew her bell plan.   also activate with a temp number first then port when pm service is confimed to be working. 

dont forget to use your referal code  when you activte her line.

edit i would give 5 day period.  as mods seem to reply in 48 hours.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@raiger  hi there are no guarantees it will be instantaneouss sometime it is but it can be up to a couple of days it is suggested that you take a temporary number when signing up then when all is working port your number over in your self serve accountsmileyhappyy:

Need Help? Let's chat.