cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Being told local numbers are long distance?

@GinYVR wrote:

@seanneybWhat phone do you have? It sounds like a phone software misconfiguration rather than a network issue. Best to visit the phone's support forum to seek answer (especially if it is an android phone).

It's an iphone 8.  I haven't consciously changed any existing settings on it.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@kav2001c wrote:

Even if the number you dial is a local call, it will still be a long distance call when you are on a different tower that is not local to your home zone. (You can actaully check your detailed call history to see where system registered you but chances are you were not in Vancouver proper when call was placed).

Either way just ignore it.

I was in the middle of downtown Vancouver, calling a 778 cell phone two blocks away from me.

That 778 number *maynot* based in that geographic location.  It could be based in another part of the area code that is a long distance call from where you were standing.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@stonechucker wrote:

That 778 number *maynot* based in that geographic location.  It could be based in another part of the area code that is a long distance call from where you were standing.

Right. We all “may” think 778 is in the lower mainland only, but it is not.  So let’s say the 778 number was for Kelowna. The person owning that 778 number is in Vancouver. And the caller also has a Vancouver number. That would still be a long distance call to the Kelowna 778 number. So you get the LD message, redial the number and start with 1 xxx xxx xxxx, at no cost to PM user. 

For some unknown reason even my brother from Prince George that moved to Victoria retained his Prince George number. Very odd to deal with some one in your new local area, by calling your neighbor LD.