cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being asked 19 SIM card numbers while submitting port request

RobertDD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I am a postpaid (aka monthly) user of Koodo, I am trying to port my Koodo number to Public Mobile. I have followed the steps and was trying to submit a port request, however, there was a step required me for my 19 digits of SIM card (without that, I couldn't click Next - refer to screenshot). So should it be my old Koodo's 19 digits or my new Public Mobile's 19 digits in this case?

Oddly enough, everyone says I only need my Koodo's account number - which I filled in but couldn't proceed with just that.

And should I answer "Yes" or "No" for the question about first attempt?

Thanks!publicmobile.png

11 REPLIES 11

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Alan_K    thanks for chiming in.  I think you should update the text to say Public mobile sim number.

also two other things. 

1. should port requests go under activation issues as often porting is done after sucsessful activations
  2. are there any other account confirmations other than sim card number (ie account verification)  needed to complete the port?

RobertDD

Thanks everyone for the quick response.

I was able to go to the given link to send Mods team a message for the port request.

Cheers!

@RobertDD wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response, I forgot to mention that I did activate my new Public Mobile SIM card and grabbed a temp number already. Then I followed the port guide and type "port request" with the chat bot, that's where I ended up with.

@RobertDD 

According to announcements, you will need moderator help to complete the port at the present time since you already activated a new Public mobile SIM card and took a temporary number.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

What you are describing maybe Public mobile's fix to the present glitch.  The first time that I have seen such a request from a port.  Not sure if the fix is "live" yet.  

To contact moderator via 2 methods:

1. Ticketing system - faster response time

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@RobertDD  you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work. Type "Port Request"  in the subject message field. Give them the name on the account,  phone number to port and the old providers account number.  

Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM .

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RobertDD wrote:

Hello,

I am a postpaid (aka monthly) user of Koodo, I am trying to port my Koodo number to Public Mobile. I have followed the steps and was trying to submit a port request, however, there was a step required me for my 19 digits of SIM card (without that, I couldn't click Next - refer to screenshot). So should it be my old Koodo's 19 digits or my new Public Mobile's 19 digits in this case?

Oddly enough, everyone says I only need my Koodo's account number - which I filled in but couldn't proceed with just that.

And should I answer "Yes" or "No" for the question about first attempt?

Thanks!publicmobile.png

Hi @RobertDD , 

The SIM card number we need is the Public Mobile SIM Card #. This is so that we can assign the phone number you'd like to transfer over to it. You can find the number from this help article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

Hope that helps,

Alan

mimmo

@RobertDD   thanks for the clarification.  

so that form is in the simon get help.   I honestly don't know.  I will ask the  management to clarify the  wording on the form.

edit use the link mentioned above to send a message directly.  thinking about it i think it will be teh PM sim number, since everything else I believe belongs to the old account.

@mimmo yeah that's what I meant koodo prepaid, I'll edit. Plus OP application seemed a bit complicated thought that things may go sideways if something is not entered right. 

(wow needed to edit the whole thing, didn't make sense after I read it lol)

mimmo

@Naepalm wrote:

@RobertDD 

If you are porting from koodo the best practice is to activate your SIM and just use a Public Mobile number to start with.

@Naepalm  this is incorrect.  koodo prepaid and I believe PC mobile,  require the two step while any other service can be done in one step. so i am not sure what you mean by best practice for koodo activations. 

Also PM suggests porting during activation, so that would be best practice.  That being said,  I still think prefer the 2 step process though.   

RobertDD

Hello,

Thanks for the quick response, I forgot to mention that I did activate my new Public Mobile SIM card and grabbed a temp number already. Then I followed the port guide and type "port request" with the chat bot, that's where I ended up with.

mimmo

this must be the new activation portal.  i have never heard of porting asking for a sim card number.    

to avaoid any potential errors I woudl activate the new line without porting and then once your line is activated ask the moderators to complete the port for you.   Its one extra step but   it ensures your new line activates properly.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@RobertDD 

Activate your SIM and just use a Public Mobile number to start with, and don't port your number immediately.

(edit removed koodo wording and wording - best practice)

Once the SIM is activated then message the moderators and ask them to port your number over.

You can message than via this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

It will save you lots of hassle and they are really quick to port the number, you won't lose service at all with your current SIM either. 

Make sure to grab a referral code before signing up, info regarding that can be found here: 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/the-refer-a-friend-reward

Need Help? Let's chat.