cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic question

techie2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just registered with Public Mobile.

I am waiting the 2 hours required to transfer my old phone number over. Should Data come instantly or does that take 2 hours as well?

6 REPLIES 6

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was able to set up my self serve account right away but then my phone didn't read the new PM sim card and I had to got to the Mobile Shop to make an adjustment the next day. Until then, I couldn't use the phone. In most cases, I would think, everything should be fine after the two hours.

techie2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for all the great help gang. A simple restart got everything working fine. Go figure... sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!!

Thanks again.

It can take five minutes (plus phone reboot time). It can take 24 hours.

Most people apparently get basic service pretty quick but have to wait a day or three before all services become consistent. 

Changes on network-side stuff aren't instaneously everywhere, it takes time for all those base stations (towers) to hear the latest news about your phone (and your billing privileges/provisions/limits). 

@dabr wrote:

@techie2 wrote:

I am waiting the 2 hours required to transfer my old phone number over. Should Data come instantly or does that take 2 hours as well?

From what I understand it should be instant.  Just do a reboot of your phone too once everything is completed.

Generally if it doesn't (all plan services) the last thing to come thru would be your calling feature.

As your old provider holds back the phone number +calling until the porting is complete. If you can call and text then probably need to enable your data. Try rebooting your phone first....if not...airplane mode...on/off wait 10 min....then APN?  this is where I get lost in the techie stuff

Tech's take over...?.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@techie2 wrote:

From what I understand it should be instant.  Just do a reboot of your phone too once everything is completed.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@techie2 wrote:

So you are porting upon activation or did you activate your sim and take a temp number?  Who are you porting from?  What type of phone are you using and have you verified the APN settings match those of PM?  Sorry for all the questions just trying to get as much info to provide an answer  

Here is a great site to setup your APN and instructions on how to do it.  Find the APN Settings for Public Mobile here!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.