cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barely any signal bars with in Ottawa

PMOttawa
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just switched over to PM today, but I am getting terrible reception, and already missed a  few calls due to no service in downtown Ottawa! What is going on? I used to be with one of the big guys and never had signal issues. Drop from 4 bars, to 1 or no signal, I though that was suppose to be the largest network in Canada, am I missing something or is there I tried both LTE/WCDMA/GSM and WCDMA/GSM without difference.

Whenever I get a signal it seems to work great (even on 2 bars), but most of the time I am between 1 and 0 (Emergency phone call only!)

13 REPLIES 13

PMOttawa

@sandpublic wrote:

@Mothman wrote:

I thought it might be worthwhile for me to add I have the same phone, I just switched from Virgin to Public last night, and noted the exact same loss shown in the signal strength icon. (4+ bars on Virgin, 1 bar, maybe 2 on Public)

This was inside the house, my wife has the phone today, so don't know how she's found it while out and about.

In my bit of testing last night I didn't notice any problems with the lower signal strength, but did find it interesting.  Maybe something to do with the older phone. Not sure.

Interesting to say the least. Virgin is Bell and PM is Telus and they both share their towers so why would that be? Maybe resetting the phone would help? 

no I think Rogers has stronger signal inside buildings.

PMOttawa

just an update. I left the office and got the usual bars. So looks like it is poor signal i side my building, but althought I never felt it with my previous provider... i got other colleagues  with poor signal indoor. 

sight. 

thank you all for your help.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mothman wrote:

I thought it might be worthwhile for me to add I have the same phone, I just switched from Virgin to Public last night, and noted the exact same loss shown in the signal strength icon. (4+ bars on Virgin, 1 bar, maybe 2 on Public)

This was inside the house, my wife has the phone today, so don't know how she's found it while out and about.

In my bit of testing last night I didn't notice any problems with the lower signal strength, but did find it interesting.  Maybe something to do with the older phone. Not sure.

Interesting to say the least. Virgin is Bell and PM is Telus and they both share their towers so why would that be? Maybe resetting the phone to factory defaults and starting fresh would help? 

Mothman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

PMOttawa

@computergeek541 wrote:

@PMOttawa wrote:

Just switched over to PM today, but I am getting terrible reception, and already missed a  few calls due to no service in downtown Ottawa! What is going on? I used to be with one of the big guys and never had signal issues. Drop from 4 bars, to 1 or no signal, I though that was suppose to be the largest network in Canada, am I missing something or is there I tried both LTE/WCDMA/GSM and WCDMA/GSM without difference.

Whenever I get a signal it seems to work great (even on 2 bars), but most of the time I am between 1 and 0 (Emergency phone call only!)

No carrier has great signal everywhere, espeicaly if you are indoors.  It's quite possible that the signal is just not very good there, although a large urbran area should generally be good.

What phone model do you have?  Some are slightly better than some others.

Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, and was not planning to buy a new phone

PMOttawa

Done that but no changes

@PMOttawa wrote:

No carrier has great signal everywhere, espeicaly if you are indoors.  It's quite possible that the signal is just not very good there, although a large urbran area should generally be good.

What phone model do you have?  Some are slightly better than some others.

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@PMOttawa wrote:

Did you power cycle your phone or just switched SIM cards on the fly?

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I usually see 2 bars.....quality of calls is never affected..by the lake..quite far from a tower..

Sharry19
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@PMOttawa  PM has same network service as of Telus & Bell so network service should never be any problem at all. Network service issue is totally out of equation with PM

The problem is either in your phone hardware or phone settings. 

If you could double check your phone & still problem stays then last thing you can do please send Private message to Moderator by clicking on this link @CS_Agent 

**** Please note: I am not a Moderator ****

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@PMOttawa wrote:

As a test...switch your phone to 3G..what effect does that have ?

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@PMOttawa wrote:

Which big guy? I assume you were not with bell/telus, because thats the exact same network.

Have you tried your sim card in a different phone?

denis2
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am on the market and the signal is all bars, also works great downtown maybe it's your phone, I have the same coverage i had with Bell

Need Help? Let's chat.