cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Asking for my Google Account?

@MikeCheck wrote:

Yes, this was a used phone I received from my brother.

There seems to be no 'new user' on any screen.  There are no icons on any screen that I can tap to allow me to get out of any of those 4 screens previously mentioned. I can't seem to do anything without entering the requested Google account info.

I will try to reset the phone.

Thanks.

Since this was from a family member, the solution is simple.  Get your brother to add back the google account that was on the phone, then remove the account.  Then you can add your google account if you have one.  The reason why android phones behave this way is to deter phone theft.  

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@MikeCheck  Did you receive the phone used from somebody else? If they are someone you can get in touch with again see if they will be willing to try to sign in with their Google account. If they can they can then remove their Google Account from the phone (Go to Settings -> Clouds and Accounts ->. After that do another factory reset and hopefully things will be good.

Good Luck.

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What happened to my previous post?

I outlined my attempt to do a factory reset.

I cannot access any device settings. There are no icons anywhere, there is no home button visible, there is no way to get out of or move past the screens I mentioned.

I will have to contact my brother.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@MikeCheck your previous post is on page 1. Doesn’t look like you have much of an option then to contact your brother. Good thing it’s family and not some stranger off the internet

Highlighted

No, I had posted another reply that outlined my attempt to do a reset. I quoted a passage from the Samsung manual for this phone.

I talked to my brother and he said he won the phone at a Christmas office party. He only used it to play with some apps. He didn't put a SIM card in it. The phone came with a PIN number to open it.

Anyway, I managed to get it to accept my Google account email and password, after I re-verified my Google password online. But now when the phone accepts my login, it then automatically reverts back to the same login screen... and I'm in an infinite loop.

Highlighted
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@MikeCheck 

Your post was most likely removed by the spam filter. It has happened to me too.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Did you ask him if he put his Google account on the phone? And did he register it with Samsung Using said Google account?  Ask him to take it off his Samsung account. This may correct the loop @MikeCheck . 

Highlighted

Okay, I found out from a cell phone repair store that the problem was that Google locks itself to the phone even after an attempted factory reset so that you can't complete the reset process without logging in to your Google account. This is a reset protection default that's built in. So in order to complete the reset process, I had to go across the city to get my brother to login to his Google account on the phone itself. He had forgotten that he had started using his Google account with the phone, and he hadn't bothered to factory reset it before giving it to me, which was a few weeks ago and I was playing with it before I decided to put a Public Mobile SIM card in it. When I did, that's when the phone automatically started to reset itself. And at one point, I even thought the PM SIM card had done something weird to the phone. Anyway, when my brother logged into his Google account on the phone, it finally completed the reset.

I thought maybe it was something simple I wasn't doing, so I thought I'd ask on here. But it's a Google thing. After that nonsense, I thought of just avoiding Google on the phone, but without Google the phone is quite limited and there are hardly any apps one can download. So I bit the bullet and signed into the phone with my own Google account.