cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As new PM user I needs to port over their phone #

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Ok , I have been reading this forum and I think I know what to do.

I am just confirming I don't want a mistake that costs me my wife's phone #

So I install the Public mobile sim Card and log her in to Public Mobile.

I activate the sim card and wait for service to be on the phone.

Then I log back in as her and make a port request of her phone # from the other carrier.

Is this correct

So in short Activate then Port.

19 REPLIES 19

@Bullet77 

Yes when her sim stops working pop in th pm sim. Response time has been fast. I'm sorry I just don't use Simon did it give you an opportunity to include the account details of your wife's provider? If yes then the moderators can put the port request in without contacting you. If no then keep an eye on the private messaging so you can provide that info. Unless it was pc mobility or koodo prepaid that's just a number transfer between accounts.

Bullet77

@darlicious 

I am managing my wife's phone for her , I am trying to bring her to public. She is would never activate her own phone. The last thing she said you loose my phone number you are dead.

I finally got an account open by taking a new phone # .That's recommendation from computergeek541 an oracle. He also gave me a link to a chat bot to request help with porting to create a ticket. I hope it doesn't take 48 hours to get a response. Thats what the ticket confirmation says. I can't even use the PM sim that is active as it has the wrong phone # on it for her. So I now have assume when her old sim stops she will be ported over.

@Bullet77 

I feel your pain....you beat my record of six hours to activate a sim card! I wasn't successful until I was told the correct method to make the pm site happy....do this whenever you are performing actions on the site that change things. This applies to your self serve account as well. If you are making a payment, changing a plan or updating a credit card for example. Use this method :

1. Clear your browser and close all tabs.
  2. Reboot your device if it's been awhile.
  3. Open one tab only in secret/incognito mode.
  4. Firefox, chrome or safari work best.

If you find your experience with simple simon frustrating you can send a private message to the moderators instead. Put Moderator_team in the send bar. "Port request" in the subject bar and give a detailed message in your case you would include the following:

1. Full name and address on your pm account. 
  2. Email, phone # (temporary) and pin#.
  3. Phone # to be ported, full name on that account and account#.

Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times. The average wait time is 2 to 4 hours up to 48 hours for non urgent issues. Wait times have been quicker than average the last couple of days. The majority of ports take mere minutes but can take up to 2 hours for mobile numbers. Ensure any porting protection on your old account has been removed prior to making a porting request.

Welcome to public mobile.....youre a hydrant its like were already family!

@Bullet77 

Don't worry about selecting a "new" phone number it's only temporary so they can finish setting up your account. Once that's done the moderators will be able to port your number in. You won't lose your old phone number.

@Bullet77 wrote:

@computergeek541 

I activated her service with a new phone number.

After that, you'll need to proceed to https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Once there, type in "port request".

But there is no where to type port request only allowed to select from dropdown messages.

As soon as you open that link, you can type anything you like where it says "ask me anything". Type in port request there and then either press enter/return or click on the arrow to submit.

Bullet77

@computergeek541 

I activated her service with a new phone number.

But there is no where to type port request only allowed to select from dropdown messages.

@Bullet77 wrote:

there is no service yet using Public Sim. I haven't even selected the plan yet. I think there is 5 step pages to the activation set up I think I am now stuck on page two. It won't let me go any further now. Old sim from other carrier is still working so nothing has changed yet.

Not yet selecting a plan means that the Public Mobile account was never opened. Porting requests don't get submitted to the other carrier until after payment has been made and your Public Mobile account has been activated.

Bullet77

there is no service yet using Public Sim. I haven't even selected the plan yet. I think there is 5 step pages to the activation set up I think I am now stuck on page two. It won't let me go any further now. Old sim from other carrier is still working so nothing has changed yet.

@Bullet77 wrote:

I started to activate an account for my wife on line 10 hours ago!

The Public Site  froze (crashed) on me when I tried to continue after entering the info to port her  existing phone #.

So tried again and was getting a message I was using an invailid sim card.

I waited an hour and it said 3 times wait 50 minutes Sim is tied up in another session.

Two hours later it now says her existing phone # can not be transferred.

Make sure you are using the correct phone # - I am

Select a new phone # - she has had the number for 16 years and other carriers so that is not happening.

Lastly contact the Public Mobil Community for help.

Well here I am

Activate your service with a new phone number.

@Bullet77 wrote:

The Public Site  froze (crashed) on me when I tried to continue after entering the info to port her  existing phone #.

I waited an hour and it said 3 times wait 50 minutes Sim is tied up in another session.

Two hours later it now say the phone # can not be transfer .

Select a new phone # - she has had the number for 16 years and other carriers so that is not happening.

Well here I am

Sorry to hear of this.

Have you checked to see if your credit card was charged?

If so try the SIM, do you have any services?

BEFORE you contact the moderators, make sure your phone is not locked by the previous provider. They can unlock it for you, if it is (free of charge). Contact them to unlock it.

If still no services and if the phone is unlocked then contact the Moderator_Team via private message, type in your subject "issue porting" using this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Bullet77

Two hours later it now says her existing phone # can not be transferred.

Well here I am

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bullet77 wrote:

Its not.   The other sim card is still working from the other carrier.  It now says contact the Public Mobil Community for further assistance. Now it says they are unable to transfer the phone #.

-Make sure I entered it correctly. (I Did).

-Select a New # ( that wont be happening we have had the # for 16 years)

One step forward and One step backward.  At least now, you SIM is activated when you received a message from PM about the porting issue.  Create a moderator support ticket for help using using the chat  button at the bottom right corner of this page.  Tell SIMon what is the issue (important) - Use "Port Request"

Number porting is a 2 stage process:
Stage 1. After submitted your porting request, PM set up your old number on your PM account. Login to your account. Select the [Plan and Add-Ons] tab. Is your old number showing on the [Plan and Add-Ons] page?
If yes, PM has done its work to setup your old number for you to call out, send text and data.

Stage 2. Now, you are waiting for your old provider to release your number to PM. Not until your old provider release your number, all the incoming calls and texts will continue to go to your old provider. You can continue to use the old provider SIM card until it stops working which is the indication that your number was released to PM.

Bullet77

Its not.   The other sim card is still working from the other carrier.  It now says contact the Public Mobil Community for further assistance. Now it says they are unable to transfer the phone #.

-Make sure I entered it correctly. (I Did).

-Select a New # ( that wont be happening we have had the # for 16 years)

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Bullet77 wrote:

I think there is something going on with Public mobile at this time . I had a freeze up on Public  during an activation on Public's site trying to activate an account. Then I  started get invalid sim. I waited over an hour and now it says my sim is tied up in another session wait 50 minutes, that was an hour ago. Tried again a few minutes ago and I am getting wait 50 minutes again.

I think something is broken.

Your SIM card may be already activated.  While you are waiting for another hour, insert your SIM card in a phone to test it.  

Instead of trying in an hour, try it before going to bed.  Good luck.

Welcome to PM.

Bullet77

I think there is something going on with Public mobile at this time . I had a freeze up on Public  during an activation on Public's site trying to activate an account. Then I  started get invalid sim. I waited over an hour and now it says my sim is tied up in another session wait 50 minutes, that was an hour ago. Tried again a few minutes ago and I am getting wait 50 minutes again.

I think something is broken.

Bullet77

Hope you are correct Benfatto. If you search porting phone # in forum you get a guide from someone that use to work at AT&T he say activate get the number working then port the number but doesn't say how to port it.

He says in his post you are probably reading this because you activated and ported at same time and now you don't have service days or weeks later.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bullet77 Porting during activation generally seems fine. Just in case there is a glitch consider getting the TextNow app for free calling/texting on wifi (or cellular data of course).

There is no particular need to install the PM SIM card until her old SIM stops working. If you do install it don't be surprised if incoming calls/texts don't immediately work; that's normal for a couple of hours.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Bullet77 unless you are on Telus/Koodo prepaid then just port at activation. if you get a monthly bill statement that means she's on postpaid and you can port at activation. don't waste time choosing a temporary number.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Bullet77 ,

So you activated with a temporary phone number, is that what you did, and now you want to port?

If this is the case you will need to contact the moderators.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen to talk to SIMon the chat bot or link:

https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

OR

2 - Contact the Moderator_Team via private message using this link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Who was your previous provider?

Need Help? Let's chat.