cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are 613 area code numbers available through public mobile?

sophiedee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I am considering getting a plan with public mobile. I need to get a new line in addition to my regular one. I specifically need the phone number to have a 613 area code. Are those available at all with public mobile? The 2016 messages I read seemed to suggest public mobile uses a different area code. 

Thanks!

14 REPLIES 14

Rodrigo_C
Customer Support Agent

Hi there, Sophiedee,

Thank you for getting in touch with the community regarding that matter.

Yes we do have 613 area codes, but they only belong to Ontario, if you are in a different province, you will not be able to have the 613.

If you are in Ontario, and once you finish the activation you don't find a 613 area code, you can send us a Private Message and we can set the area code 613 from our end. 

Regards, 

Rod, 

Public Mobile Moderator Team.

MJ23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Upon activating at the store, a screen will appear providing a series of optional numbers you can choose. It will depend on the available #s.

cheers,

mj23

I am constantly amazed at the desire to have a certain area code for a phone number.  It is assigned as grouping of many phone numbers in a geographic area, and in many cases now, other area codes are overlaid in the same areas.

The number you have should be associated with where you are expecting to receive the majority of your calls, especially if business related.  If you’re attempting to have a phone number based on an area code to have ‘local calling’, you’re not going to always have that, if ever.  Not all calls in an area code are local, and if you’re not in the area code, calling to the area code will be a long distance call.

Your plan you select determines Province vs Canada vs Canada and US calling.  The bigger the area you can call, the more calls you can make without additional charges.  For business, you must think about those who are calling you, as a local call for them is more beneficial.

7AD
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The 613 area code is available to Public Mobile customers. 

I await the day when tephone numbers are no longer area code driven and become a universal telephone number.

sophiedee

Thank you everyone for your helpful feedback!

I will try out PM for the next month and if it is not working good I'll switch to a different carrier. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sophiedee  one more thought came to mind. will you need receipts/invoices for tax puropses.  if so be advised you need to request them.

details here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Invoice-Request/m-p/174071#M52477

@sophiedee wrote:

Well that's the thing. I don't want to buy a sim card if 613 numbers won't be available. And I want 613 specifically because I will be using the phone for work.

@sophiedee

Just a word of caution: if you must be reachable 24/7 on this number you might want to keep in mind that Public Mobile doesn't have live voice customer support, and, in the absolute worst case scenario, you might end up with several days without this number if you ever encounter a problem that needs help from the moderators (= Public Mobile CSR).

Not saying that that happens often, but this is a no frills third tier service that has its drawbacks, no access to immediate, direct help from the company itself can turn out to be one of them. 

mimmo

glad could help. great that you did your research. let us know if you have any other questions. 

don't forget about the various promotions currently avaialble.  $10 off  for 6 months for $30+ plans , and the 25+25 refer a friend promo  (this one is only available online ,not instore). 

sophiedee

That is awesome Oracle. Thank you so much for the information. I will get a card right away 🙂

mimmo

yes @Lieux  I used a spare sim and wet through to the second activation window.  I am sure you could get the list by trying a number change but not completing it, but it was not something i wanted try. 

sophiedee

Well that's the thing. I don't want to buy a sim card if 613 numbers won't be available. And I want 613 specifically because I will be using the phone for work.

I tried to find this way... @mimmo...did you use the number of a new Sim card to find that? If it's not a secret???Smiley Wink

mimmo

yes 613 is an area code option:

new sim activations give: 613-581-xxxx or 613-807-xxxx

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

Did you already tried to choose a number with 613 area code when you activate a sim card?? @sophiedee Why just this area code? If you have calls in your plan it will be with provincial or national calls including....I don't want to be indiscreet..you can choose to not answer...

Need Help? Let's chat.