cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any restrictions on PM number selection

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Think the answer to this but thought I'd ask for confirmation purposes: can I select any available PM number for a new account that suits me?  For example, if I'm located in Toronto, can I select a Montreal number?

Secondary question: can I port a number from a different area code to an existing PM plan with a different area code? For example, if I have an existing PM account with, say, 416  123 1234, could I port another number, 514 321 4321, to that account.

(I think the answer is yes in both cases.)

8 REPLIES 8

@will13am wrote:

This is a little off topic, but those of us in the highest consumption tax districts get the most out of rewards.  

@will13am  Lol! That took a minute...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is a little off topic, but those of us in the highest consumption tax districts get the most out of rewards.  

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@popping wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@popping  Since you brought up the provincial tax implications. There is nothing stopping someone in the martimes or quebec from choosing an alberta number and keeping it. Thus saving 10% on their public mobile account.

OR have AB friend and family to purchase topup voucher for friend and family with non-AB phone number.

I have no family or friends in Alberta.  Smiley Sad

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious wrote:

@popping  Since you brought up the provincial tax implications. There is nothing stopping someone in the martimes or quebec from choosing an alberta number and keeping it. Thus saving 10% on their public mobile account.

OR have AB friend and family to purchase topup voucher for friend and family with non-AB phone number.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimbobs 

Answers for both wuestions are yes.  But you will be paying QC 15% tax instead of ON 13% tax.

It is fine to get a AB number during activation to pay less tax for the first month.  Then, port a QC number to you new account.

@jimbobs wrote:

Think the answer to this but thought I'd ask for confirmation purposes: can I select any available PM number for a new account that suits me?  For example, if I'm located in Toronto, can I select a Montreal number?

Secondary question: can I port a number from a different area code to an existing PM plan with a different area code? For example, if I have an existing PM account with, say, 416  123 1234, could I port another number, 514 321 4321, to that account.

Whe opening a Public Mobile account with a newly assigned phone number, you can pick any available number that is offer from any city that Public Mobile has number for. Your location doesn't matter.

Your current phone number at Public Mobile would make no difference for number porting. A number being ported in a from another carrier must be from a city that Public Mobile/Telus also offers phones numbers for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimbobs wrote:

1. Yes. On activating you can keep going through a bunch of numbers on offer. You can also type in some of your own preferences to see if it's available.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

Need Help? Let's chat.