cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any luck getting a number ported?

BajaBrenda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm on day 3 of trying to get my phone number ported over.

My partner got his done almost instantly and it was ported from the same voip provider.

I'm not getting any replies from my messages.

Did something else happen with Public Mobile moderators? Are you guys swamped? Sorry to add to your work. I'll just keep emailing every hour or so until I get a response.

I'm not sure why I'm not getting a response.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

14 REPLIES 14

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Voip numbers are considered landlines for porting and PM says you need the following info for landline numbers:

- Complete billing address   

- Alternate phone number

- First and last name of the account holder

No mention of PIN. So why are the mods asking for a PIN from you?

Some voip companies will give you a "vendor" or "reseller" name for use with porting, did you provide that to the mods?

BajaBrenda

Yes that's what I'm doing asking my voip provider to tell me the info that PM needs for the 2 fields: name & pin. If they have to setup a pin I've asked for that but they don't think it's necessary.

It's like kicking a dead whale down the beach. Hurts, moves very slowly, very stinky, but missing the great ocean views.

@BajaBrenda wrote:

UPDATE: 

Public mobile needs a name and PIN to request the number to be ported.

The voip provider where the number is currently has both a company and my name on the account and doesn't require a pin to port out the number.

So far the numbers are still at the voip provider, they cannot seem to add a pin or answer the question about exact info, they provide too much info.

Public mobile cannot seem to submit the request without a pin.

So a week later the port is still failing.

Classic finger pointing happens all the time with technology. If I could see what the interface looked like I could figure it out myself. 

@BajaBrenda  Who is the VOIP provider. If that is the case then ask the VOIP provider if it is possible to setup a PIN or use a default number that they will accept. Also, not sure why PM can't submit the port without a PIN.

BajaBrenda

one way to know the number is successfully ported is to be able to make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls.

That's the only way that I'm interested in verifying the port as that's how I need to be able to use the phone 😄

I've ported many numbers over many years, this is the biggest fail case.

BajaBrenda

yes I've been messaging with moderators but the Public Mobile system is very rigid and the port is failing for some reason nobody can explain 

the port is failing for both numbers as it turns out

BajaBrenda

I've got outbound calling only on my public mobile account.

Inbound failed due to the port not completed

BajaBrenda

checked & still not working not ported

BajaBrenda

UPDATE: 

Public mobile needs a name and PIN to request the number to be ported.

The voip provider where the number is currently has both a company and my name on the account and doesn't require a pin to port out the number.

So far the numbers are still at the voip provider, they cannot seem to add a pin or answer the question about exact info, they provide too much info.

Public mobile cannot seem to submit the request without a pin.

So a week later the port is still failing.

Classic finger pointing happens all the time with technology. If I could see what the interface looked like I could figure it out myself. 

@Seahorse03 wrote:

I ported my number from virgin mobile. Once your old account disappears, it usually means the number is ported through. Try turn off and restart your phone. All services involving human operation are slower now due to shortage of staff. If it’s not working, try call Telus, the agent is able to check if your number is successfully ported by providing your number. 18665582273 They have a few numbers, I lost the number I originally used long time ago, but this number should work too. 

That phone number is the generic customer service phone number of Telus. While they might be able to eventually direct you to right place, you will be inititally reaching the wrong department. The people who answer the phone at that number do not specialize in number porting and cannot help you with your Public Mobile service.

Seahorse03

I ported my number from virgin mobile. Once your old account disappears, it usually means the number is ported through. Try turn off and restart your phone. All services involving human operation are slower now due to shortage of staff. If it’s not working, try call Telus, the agent is able to check if your number is successfully ported by providing your number. 18665582273 They have a few numbers, I lost the number I originally used long time ago, but this number should work too. 

@BajaBrenda  Did you send a service request via Simon or a private message? Sending several messages will slow things down rather than speed things up. If you have sent via Simon and its been more than 48 hours resubmit a new request via Simon. Do the same if you sent via private message but go thru Simon using " porting " issue in your request. Then keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of hour screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@BajaBrenda  to add to @geopublic 's answer, it can take as much as 7 days for your number to be transferred. If you sign in to your PM self service account, what number is showing there? Is it still the temporary number or the voip number. Thanks.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@BajaBrenda wrote:

I'm on day 3 of trying to get my phone number ported over.

My partner got his done almost instantly and it was ported from the same voip provider.

I'm not getting any replies from my messages.

Did something else happen with Public Mobile moderators? Are you guys swamped? Sorry to add to your work. I'll just keep emailing every hour or so until I get a response.

I'm not sure why I'm not getting a response.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

@BajaBrenda  VOIP providers normally take between 2-5 days to complete the port. Is your VOIP account still active? Did you setup a Port lock with your VOIP provider? I would recommend logging into your VOIP account and check status.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM is short staffed.  I would give the 24- 72 hours to respond.

Need Help? Let's chat.