cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An interesting article about VoLTE - maybe dated.

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
6 REPLIES 6

The problem with 3G was that it would've become congested a lot sooner than LTE.

LTE is definitely delivering on its promise of high speeds and capacity in most day to day environments.

80 Mbps was available on day one with LTE. Today we have 1.2 Gbps and higher, depending on the specific area.

brid0nca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@sheytoon wrote:

@brid0nca really? I find LTE speeds are way faster than what I need.

How fast are you expecting exactly?

@88cranston that's a pretty old article. Any specific questions you have about the technology behind VoLTE, I can try to answer.

I never really had any expectation.  3G was fast enough for my purposes.  It is just that the  promise of LTE was 80 mb/s or some foolishness like that.  Carriers love LTE because they can oversubscribe the bandwidth better than 3G. 

VoLTE is marketing. 

I'm of the opinion that voice, text, and audio technologies should be standard issue freebies - they're basic services which are barely even monetized anymore, nobody even imposes limits on call minutes or msg counts anymore (within Canada) except on their ultra low-cost subscription offerings. The real commodity is Data, more capacity, more performance.

I doubt many people buy $$$$ premium flagship devices just so they can enjoy the finest in VoLTE voice calling. They buy it (at those prices) because of marketing. (And they don't buy the latest-and-greatest iPhone or Galaxy because they need tons of voice calling, lol, they buy those devices primarily to make heavy use of all the Data-based technologies.)

VoLTE is perceived as being valuable because of artificial scarcity. It's not an impressive enough thing in itself - to me - to justify the costs attached to it. My experience is that the people who want/need plenty of voice calling tend to be the same people who avoid texting and browsing and social media and gaming and apps, lol, VoLTE would be more useful in the real world if it was built into flip-phones.

It's worth noting that VoLTE's superior call quality only works when both/all calling parties are using it. And most smartphones de-emphasize actual voice/audio codecs (let alone their ever-cheaper speaker/mic hardware components), they tend to sound worse than devices from previous decades, because they lean more on software controls for everything. 

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Not expecting any thing spectacular as I don’t  need data. I thought VoLTE is for better quality calls. 

Yes as mentioned I realize article is dated. 

@brid0nca really? I find LTE speeds are way faster than what I need.

How fast are you expecting exactly?

@88cranston that's a pretty old article. Any specific questions you have about the technology behind VoLTE, I can try to answer.

brid0nca
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I remember all the promised amazing speeds we were going to get with LTE, did not really work out that way.
Need Help? Let's chat.