cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Amping up to activate two plans, but question about hardware switch later on

Hi lovely people,

I have received two SIM cards, one for me and one for my partner. We're currently with Telus. We did the transfer/IMEI check and both phones are well past their hardware contracts and good to go.

However, I'd like to know if you think the following is doable:

My partner's current Samsung phone is garbage/on the brink of smashy death, so I purchased a used Koodo motorola phone for cheap. The idea is, once I port the number from Telus by activating Public Mobile on his current Samsung, I will then be able to switch hardware to the Motorola.

I'm NOT awesome with this kind of stuff, but I'm worried about doing this in the right order. What do you say?

(Thank you.) 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Amping up to activate two plans, but question about hardware switch later on

Be certain that your phones are not carrier-locked.  Especially the recently-purchased used Motorola phone.  Koodo and Public Mobile are both owned by Telus, so any unlocked or Telus-locked or Koodo-locked phone should work on the Public Mobile network (explained here).

SIM cards are linked to a carrier, an account, and a phone number.  Yes, you can simply swap Public Mobile SIM cards between devices, the Public Mobile account and phone number will work on any device - unless the device is locked onto an incompatible network.

You'll need to select the Carrier or Network Operator, which is of course Public Mobile.  Phones may briefly report "Telus" instead of "Public Mobile" when connecting, but this is normal.

You may need to configure APN settings on the Samsung and on your Motorola (explained here).  Or you may not if the Samsung and Motorola are new enough to automagically configure themselves.  The APN settings need to be correct for cellular data and SMS/MMS attachments to work.

You may also need to manually setup the Voicemail number, although only the most ancient phones cannot do this automatically.

Finally, you may need to manually backup/restore/migrate any personal data on your phone - including all your contacts and notes and pictures and ringtones and such.  As you would whenever changing devices.

I would personally confirm that all network functions of a smartphone work - incoming and outgoing calls, send and receive texts, can connect to the web, etc - before reconfiguring anything else, installing any apps, or rooting a device.

Re: Amping up to activate two plans, but question about hardware switch later on

Wowow. Thank you. This whole message is going to be a great resource and I muddle my way through this.

I did just check the transferability (not a word) of the recently purchased Motorola using the IMEI check, and it was successful. 

Highlighted
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just moved one of my accounts from Telus.  Number port was instantenous, I swear I clicked approve or send on the last signup button and I had PM text messages on my Telus phone before I even switched.  It was the easiest thing I've ever done to save $20 a month. Smiley Happy  I spent a lot of time researching carriers at the end of my last contract; and as a techy do it yourself kind of guy in general this carrier is right up my alley.  Just wish I had more time to help out in the forums; but family calls!

With the addition of US Roaming I'm super stoked; hopefully will be able to shed my US Prepaid sim cards if the pricing is right!

Barkes99

Thank you! That is reassuring.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

i guess you are confused with old public mobile system< when it was cdma sstem> now there is no problem in changing handsets as many times you want> you can use new koodo phone if you want to activate your partner"s account if you want< or even do it on samsung once the account is activated< the sim should work with any handset> the handsets have to be unlocked though(i mean for bell< rogers adn the kind)> main thing is to activate the account>once that is done handsets won"t matter> all you will need is to see the messages public mobile with send to tell you your account is activated> good luck>

if you think i helped you in anyway< please give me bravo< if my post has solved your issue please accept my post as solution>
thank you>

Mayor / Maire

I forgot to mention that you'll need to restart/reboot the phone before these changes take affect.

And it sometimes seems to take Public Mobile's servers a little time to all sync up.  So you might instantly Register and Activate a new account but not actually receive any service for a short time.  Usually only a few minutes, sometimes a few hours, I would be concerned if it still doesn't seem to work after waiting out a full business day.

The PM staff are very responsive and helpful; they sometimes even create free "10-day pass" plans just to get basic service working Right Now and smooth over any delays associated with number porting, activation, or payment.

It may seem like a lot of stuff to know and do to get working phone service because no Public Mobile stores or kiosks or techs will do it for you.  But it only takes a few minutes and it only needs to be done once.  The effort pays for itself by saving you money.

Mayor / Maire

If you are using the phones on Telus you should have no issues with using them on Public. Even if locked most people have reported no issues using them (applies to Telus/Koodo phones only! Other carriers will require unlock).

Most models of Moto sold today are sold factory unlocked. So if current model should also be no issue (but why not test SIM in phone at store before you purchase it?)