cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amber alert

leekhs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did not receive the amber alert dated October 1, 2019. So public mobile members receive amber alerts?

9 REPLIES 9

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

I can receive amber alert on phone without sim card, and no service either.  

As long as your device can connect to their specific network, it works .

There's a lot of GSM literature about SMS (and MMS) protocols. Including SMS-CB or CB-SMS (Cellular Broadcast modes, sent from the network to all connected compatible devices). Cellular Broadcasts can be at national, provincial, or regional (municipal) levels - and they're unselective, if your device has power and is compatible then it gets alerts (regardless of your carrier or your country), if your device is unpowered or out of range then it gets no alerts. 

It's (slowly) becoming internationally standardized. Canada's flavour is Alert Ready. Now officially operational in Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Quebec - unofficially operational in Ontario - plus some other coverage zones, minus some blind spots. Initially proposed by the Big Three telcoms and the CBC (and strongly opposed by the CRTC), ironically now a CRTC-regulated gongshow (which the CBC uses very reluctantly and Big Four have made the CWTA advocate repeatedly for allowing customer opt-outs).

Some customers (and the CRTC) argue that the system can save lives. Some customers don't want random alerts about faraway emergencies (or tests) forcing their phones to override all user controls with distinctly alarming and annoying noises. 

Some SMS apps used to provide user settings to block SMS-MT/SMS-OT (paid network advertisements) and SMS-CB (emergency broadcasts, disaster response, national defense, extreme weather warnings, amber alerts, etc) - sometimes as generic on/off, sometimes as specific categories. The CRTC has disallowed all SMS-CB blocking features in Canada (because it could save lives!) so if you want to block alert broadcasts (you insensitive monster!) then you'll have to get a little creative in finding the "old" versions of these apps (or compile your own SMS-CB blocking app from modded github sourcecode). 

https://www.alertready.ca/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert_Ready

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there,

Here are a couple of excerpts from the Wireless Public Alerting - Conditions :

• Customers must have a WPA capable smartphone with the latest software version installed.
  • Customers must be connected to the LTE network and within the geo-targeted area while the alert is being broadcast.

Public Mobile Moderator team

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Never missed an amber alert. My android phone without a SIM card receives amber alerts, everytime. (Manual smiling face emoji)

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@leekhs wrote:

I did not receive the amber alert dated October 1, 2019. So public mobile members receive amber alerts?

You need to be on LTE during the alert. If you are on 3g because you are on call, you get alert after switching back.

leekhs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes my iPhone is compatible for amber alerts as I always received them before switching to public. As for LTE, yes it was although I never needed to be on it with previous carrier. 

Ninja0628
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yes, PM numbers receive amber alerts, but I think the type of device you have factors into getting the alert as well.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

Yes, PM subsribers will receive amber alerts if they meet the criteria:

1. Be in an area that receives the alert
  2. Have a compatible phone
  3. Be registered on the LTE network

GR
Mayor / Maire

@leekhs is your phone compatible for amber alerts and was it on the LTE network when it came out? 

Need Help? Let's chat.