cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add on data costs needs to be lower

Penndroid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have a 4G 2 gig unlimited text/talk plan in Canada - yet Public MObile doesnt make it very easy to add another 1 Gig without breaking the bank imo. 30 dollars for a 1 gig add - on? Thats bascially saying 82 dollars for a 3 gig plan!  I get the advantage of no contract but me thinks buying a gig could be a little lower. 20 dollars max. I bet you could offer 2 gigs for 40 and get my business that way. Or offer up better cost 4G plans 

20 REPLIES 20

@Penndroid wrote:

wow state the obivious - because i am wanting Public Mobile to offer more plans? They are run by Telus i was told not that it matter but options shouldnt be a reason to leave - it should honestly be provided 

I am sure everyone would love a carrier who offers you anything you want for any price you choose to pay, but honestly do you think that is a business model that would survive? 

There are many ways to save money on here and sure it would be great to have loads of options and if PM sees the need for better LTE plans you may see them. PM is constantly rolling out new and different promo's and options. I am personally glad that PM is here to keep other low price carriers in check.

@Penndroid, I'm also paying for an LTE plan, I got it back in the Fall 2016 Promo, 12GB 90-day cycle, for $120.  Love it.  That was a deal.  Sadly, you've discovered that Public Mobile no longer has the great LTE deals.

This 3rd tier carrier is now only competing with the other 3rd tier players.  The difference, the 3G plans are not zones and are really 4G throttled speeds.

@Anonymous, Honestly, no, I probably missed the smile.  I have a vision impairment, and I don't see everything clearly, even with the magnification software I use.  I try very hard to make sure I see what is there, and sometimes I miss things.

I'm sorry if you feel I was calling you out, it was not my intention.  Yes, I made a mistake, I've not edited my post to update (and noted it accordingly).

I'm just trying to help out others with hopefully valuable information/input.

Penndroid

wow state the obivious - because i am wanting Public Mobile to offer more plans? They are run by Telus i was told not that it matter but options shouldnt be a reason to leave - it should honestly be provided 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Penndroid public is the 3rd tier low cost option.  If you want more than what public offeres then the solution is to move up the value chain. Which is part of why all three providers have a low cost option.

Penndroid

or Public Mobile could offer more plans with more data on the 4G spectrum cause 5G is right around the corner providers are already talking about it and releasing 5G phones - sure under contract but Bell offers up a 60 dollar 5 gig 4G plan - im paying 56 for 2 gigs Telus is 85 for 4 gigs 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

@Anonymous, call me the teacher's pet if you wish, that's your issue, not mine.

If I messed up my decimal place, I'm sorry - I'll figure it out and correct it.  But the principle is sound.

You did see the smiley right?

I was just goofin' around. If Shazia hadn't come on full of love for you I wouldn't have bothered to say something.

No sweat.

@Anonymous, call me the teacher's pet if you wish, that's your issue, not mine.

If I messed up my decimal place, I'm sorry - I'll figure it out and correct it.  But the principle is sound.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Penndroid If you have never done so, I really reccommend you try out one the 3G plans. You can always move back to 4G

Or you can take advantage of the new promo. Refer yourself onto a new plan with 3G data. Both plans will get a $25 credit. Then you can try out the 3G speed to see if it works. Pick any plan with 3G data. I think the cheapest would be the $20 250mb 3G data only. Then use the credit to get a 1GB add-on 

Note: you need to wait 2 days for the 3G to kick in. All new plans start off on full LTE. And do not bother with speed tests, instead test by doing stuff you normally would do with your data. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shazia_K wrote:

Good job @stonechucker!! Always on point! 🙂

Boy stonechucker...teacher's pet much 🙂

That $3/mb kinda tripped me up too. It's actually $0.03/mb. It's $3/100mb.

Just sayin'

🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Penndroid wrote:

3G isnt that great in my area where as 4G is - actually its 56 dollar plan 

Well...actually...Public Mobile so-called 3G is really actually using the LTE (if your phone has it) and then throttling it down to 3mbps.

Penndroid

3G isnt that great in my area where as 4G is - actually its 56 dollar plan 

Good job @stonechucker!! Always on point! 🙂

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Penndroid, consider this, I offer this as a frugal customer.

The other carriers who charge per 100-megabyte data overages of $7 (or more), are essentially saying if you use a GB over your 'cap', you'll pay us $70 in overage fees for your month.

This $30 for 1 GB add-on of data (at the speed of your current data package) is essentially  $3/100MB.  You buy it once, and it lasts until you use all of it. It does not renew automatically.  It's on your plan until you need it.

If you're less than half-way through your cycle, early renewal is the better option, possibly a plan change to increase your data allotment or to simply renew the current plan.  If you're more than half-way through, especially within days of renewal, the add-on would be the prevention of running out in my mind, for the future.

Post Edited:  Correct cost per 100MB of the $30 1 GB add-on as noticed later in this thread.  Sorry!

smp99

I agree totally with Dunkgirl's post for low data usage. 

But that does not apply here to @Penndroid  They are on a 2Gb plan for $47. It seems like that plan is not the best fit.

@Penndroid

@Dunkgirl describes this very well and I agree with @Anonymous. I hotspot my iPad from my phone and watch hockey games live with buffering only when I start the stream. So unless you are watching some high resolution videos you may consider a cheaper 3g plan.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

Dunkgirl

Data add ons (not us roaming data) price reflects data that does not expire. For some users a $30 1gb add-on can last for years. Plan data resets every renewal (30 or 90 days) It allows users that use little data to be on a $10 monthly plan with no data and use the $30 add-on to make their overall yearly plan cost significantly cheaper. Some users instead of spending $30 every single month (minimum 3 choice plan that includes text talk and data) to $10 month with a rarely add-on purchase. Its a big savings.

I can tell you this from experience. I am on the $10 plan and have never purchased a 2nd data add-on yet.

It also offers a benifit to those who only ever go VERY slightly over their data usage on a lower cost 30, 35etc plan that only need to use a few megabytes of that 1 gig per term.

This of course does not compare to the massive plans which have a large amount of data included in the price. The add-on of data is not always efficient, even in some cases its cheaper to "renew you plan early" by contacting a moderator. But for some this cost of data add-on is a blessing and an extremely good deal.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The high cost of additional data outside of what's included in a plan is a reflection of the lack of competition in this country.  The high overage charges is an enabler for many customers to oversubscribe their base plan and exhibit huge anxiety when the usage text arrives.  Sad reality, but what are you gonna do?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Penndroid wrote:

I have a 4G 2 gig unlimited text/talk plan in Canada - yet Public MObile doesnt make it very easy to add another 1 Gig without breaking the bank imo. 30 dollars for a 1 gig add - on? Thats bascially saying 82 dollars for a 3 gig plan!  I get the advantage of no contract but me thinks buying a gig could be a little lower. 20 dollars max. I bet you could offer 2 gigs for 40 and get my business that way. Or offer up better cost 4G plans 

I would suggest that the add-ons are really for gotta-have-it-now needs or for very low usage needs.

But, unless you're doing HD streaming or gaming, do you really think you *need* 4G? The so-called 3G here is perfectly adequate for all the usual internet needs.

But of course, we'd all like to spend less.

smp99

I think a better answer might be to switch to a plan that offers more data. I'm guessing your plan costs $47 based on your description. You could try on of the 3G plans for less. You can always move back to you current plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.