cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation

Erfanrahbari
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone!

I just activated my sim card (with a new number, not a transferred one) and inserted it into my phone but still "No Service" is showing. Does it normally take time to be usable? What should I do now?

21 REPLIES 21

@Erfanrahbari 

Go to your settings and check for a software update.

Erfanrahbari

Yes, it is unlocked.

@Erfanrahbari 

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

On the top of the screen "No Service" is shown instead of "PM Network".

Is it possible now to transfer my number to another carrier? Or I should wait until the first use (text/call/data)? 

You need an active account to transfer to another carrier.  If your account status is active, then you could port out.  

Maybe try your SIM card in another working phone.  That helps determine whether this is a hardware setup issue versus PM service problem.  If Public mobile issue, you will need to contact moderator to get your account fixed.   

@Erfanrahbari 

Are you sure your phone is unlocked?

Edit: Call your previous provider to get apple support to unlock your phone. Then on wifi access iTunes to update your phone. Then put the sim card in and see if you are connected to pm.

Erfanrahbari

On the top of the screen "No Service" is shown instead of "PM Network".

Is it possible now to transfer my number to another carrier? Or I should wait until the first use (text/call/data)? 

And what is the history of the phone since it is being activated with a new number? Do you know of it having worked previously? Can you use it to access internet on wifi? 

AE_Collector

@Erfanrahbari 

What error message are you getting on your phone? No sim detected?

There are two scenarios here....as mentioned ( and rare but likely the issue) you got a dud sim card or it did not provision on activation and the moderators must reprovision the sim card.

Where did you purchase the sim card? Return it for an exchange. If possible change your sim # in your account and reboot to make sure the sim card works before you leave the store. If purchased from pm ask for a credit and go buy a replacement card.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Erfanrahbari you may want to double check the 19 numbers to make sure the entire SIM number is correct.

There isn't a way to check for that through self serve as the account only shows the last 4 digits. The odds of the last 4 number matching but someone find another SIM card numbers that starts with a different set of numbers is low.

@Erfanrahbari you may want to double check the 19 numbers to make sure the entire SIM number is correct.

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

everything is right.

The phone is not locked. I checked the rebooting; does not work. Network selection is automatic. My profile status is active. I am in the coverage zone. The last four digits of that 19 digit number on the sim card match the one in my account (change my sim card section).

I really have no idea what is the problem.

@Erfanrahbari rarely, a dud SIM could occur. But, hopefully this is just a "not ready" yet situation.

If you put in a ticket with the Moderators they can ensure your provisioning of your account is all good.

Check for outages in your area: http://outagereport.ca/publicmobile

or https://downdetector.ca/status/telus/map/ 

Erfanrahbari

I have iPhone 8 which is compatible.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Erfanrahbari :Also, can you tell us what phone you have and if you checked it's compatibility with the phone check tool by clicking get started at bottom this page?

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

everything is right.

The phone is not locked. I checked the rebooting; does not work. Network selection is automatic. My profile status is active. I am in the coverage zone. The last four digits of that 19 digit number on the sim card match the one in my account (change my sim card section).

@Erfanrahbari   You'll need to submit a ticket to moderators by clicking the chatbot bubble bottom right of the screen.  If you have trouble with chatbot then click the envelope icon top right and send a private message to Moderator_Team.   Only moderators can access your account and see what is wrong.

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

everything is right.

@Erfanrahbari Sure sounds like something went wrong with the activation. Contact a moderator for help fixing this.

How to Open a Ticket / Contact Moderators

1. Click Chat Bubble and type "Open Ticket"

2. Click "Contact PM Support"

3. Select "Account Specific Question"

4. Click "No, I Need A Human Now"

5. Select the link "Click Here To Submit A Ticket"

6. This opens a new window. Log in with Community Account NOT your self serve.

7. Provide log in info of Self Serve account.

8. Follow prompts.

Erfanrahbari

everything is right.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

Hi everyone!

I just activated my sim card (with a new number, not a transferred one) and inserted it into my phone but still "No Service" is showing. Does it normally take time to be usable? What should I do now?

HI again @Erfanrahbari ...one more thing, is your phone unlocked? (EDIT: @kselmak already mentioned this...)

Locked Phone? Contact your previous provider to unlock it for you.

You will need your imei number dial *#06# to get it.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

Hi everyone!

Hi @Erfanrahbari  - Welcome!

Activating a new number is supposed to be immediate, but lately it just seems take a bit of time (within an hour i'd say). In the meantime, reboot your phone (shut down for a few minutes) occasionally and remove and reinsert your SIM. You should be connected to the network soon!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Erfanrahbari 

It's most likely the responses given will resolve. 

Try this troubleshooter if all else fails:

1. Make sure airplane mode is off
  2. Power OFF your device, wait 1 minute, turn on and check for signal bars
  3. Check on account self-serve that your account status is Active
  4. While on self-serve, check that SIM card number under “Change Sim card” matches the SIM card number in your phone
  5. Make sure the device is not locked to a different carrier.
  6. Make sure you’re in a covered area and there are no cellular outages
  7. Change Wi-Fi calling preferences to Cellular Preferred or Cellular Only
  8. Set network mode to Auto
  9. Reset network settings
  10. Update device software to latest version
  11. Perform a manual network selection

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Should be instant

If restart or network reset don't work, check is your phone is locked

Can you borrow another phone that works on Telus/Koodo.

If it's still not working please contact moderators by private message to Moderator_Team

@Erfanrahbari 

If you are activating a new number, it should be also immediate activation.  Check if your credit card was charged.  Some customers in the last month or so have noticed that it took up to four hours for the SIM card to activate.  

Which model phone are you using?  Some foreign or older phones are not compatible.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Erfanrahbari wrote:

Hi everyone!

@Erfanrahbari    Do you see PM network?  Maybe try a network reset, also a reboot/remove SIM and reinsert and reboot again.    If you've selected a number your service should work without delays.

Need Help? Let's chat.