cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation

ennjay16
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How long will it take to activate my New SIM card and be able to use my phone?

13 REPLIES 13

Benomar2000

pour un cellulaire jusqu'à 3 heures

@dgs wrote:

Have activated sim and received new phone number but now can't sign on to account or use phone.

@dgs 

As mentioned above, you could start your own thread/topic.

More details would be helpful.  

Did your credit card get charged?

Which model phone?

What happens when you put the SIM card in the phone? Do you get a PM signal?

Is your phone locked to previous carrier?

Did you activate at home or in store?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @dgs ,

If you repost here, you can "Ask A Question" and you will receive help more broadly.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/bd-p/Discussions

dgs

Have activated sim and received new phone number but now can't sign on to account or use phone.

@AE_Collector 

I seem to remember someone saying something to the effect that the ability to port in thru self serve was to help prevent sim jacking/fraudulent ports. Which would explain why it hasnt been "fixed" yet. Whether that is actually true....?

Koodo prepaid and pc mobility numbers require moderator assistance because koodo prepaid shares the same backend system with pm so porting is not possible because its not actually going out anywhere. Its simply a number transfer between accounts. PC mobility once upon a time shared the same back end as well so those numbers while ported in require some kind of account adjustment because the original info is still in the system....or something like that. This apparently holds true if the phone number was originally assigned/owned by pc mobility but long since ported to one or more providers in the meantime.

@Nezgar 

Yes that is what I am referring to. Reading that I was of the impression that there was a temporary glitch so this was the work around and soon they would fix it. But 5 months later, just like COVID-19... it is still here. 

AE_Collector

@AE_Collector wrote:

I really don't follow this idea that now we must contact a moderator to port a number in. Doesn’t really seem like that is the case. I have heard of people recently porting as it has always been done in the past and it worked properly.

See the announcement from March 13th - It is still in effect:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Number-transfer-in-Self-Serve-impacted-...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AE_Collector 

How I understand it is that porting during activation is fine. Except for Koodo pre-paid (and maybe PC Mobile?). Same as it has been for a while.

Porting after needs the moderators. As far as I know, still.

Welcome to the speed of Public Mobile.

I really don't follow this idea that now we must contact a moderator to port a number in. Doesn’t really seem like that is the case. I have heard of people recently porting as it has always been done in the past and it worked properly.

Is it just certain types of ports that should be done through moderators? Or is it hit an miss so if you cant be without your existing number IF something goes wrong then you should consider going through a moderator to do the port? I thought it was a temporary glitch to use moderators for porting but it has been months and months and months now.

AE_Collector

@ennjay16 

Ive ported in phone numbers upon activation from telus, fido, freedom, koodo and virgin and all were working with all services (in/out) in 5 minutes or less. The only providers requiring moderator assistance and a temporary number are koodo prepaid and pc mobility. Temporary numbers are recommended for voip, landlines and services like number barn because it can take 7 days (sometimes more sometimes less) for those numbers to complete their porting process.

@gblackma wrote:

@ennjay16 if you choose a new number turn your phone off insert the sim and restart your phone.  It should work.

If you ported a voip or landline up to 7 days, a cell up to 3 hours. If you ported from a cell provider and its been longer than than 3 hours. You may have a stuck port.  Contact the moderstors and ask them to fix it for you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

If a number port is requested during activation, the Public Mobile service still would work immedaitely, with the exception of incoming phone calls and incoming text messages from non-Telus customers.

When I activated a new account with a new number it was working as soon as I put the SIM card in my phone. 

Then a few days later I ported my phone number in from Telus which took 30-40 seconds and it was working. This was almost 2 years ago though. Other providers outside of TELUS owned companies will take a bit longer to port in and porting other than existing cell numbers can take longer still.

AE_Collector

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ennjay16 if you choose a new number turn your phone off insert the sim and restart your phone.  It should work.

If you ported a voip or landline up to 7 days, a cell up to 3 hours. If you ported from a cell provider and its been longer than than 3 hours. You may have a stuck port.  Contact the moderstors and ask them to fix it for you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Welcome to PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.