cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation

Imvc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is not totally a question but maybe something that would be helpful to people trying to activate a sim. Do you insert the new sim before or after you activate it? Does it even matter when? I was looking for info on this when I activated my sim and couldn't find any but now realize it's probably common sense as the sim wouldn't work if you insert it before activation. I used a laptop to activate my sim and maybe it's different for people activating through their phones. 

6 REPLIES 6

@Imvc wrote:

This is not totally a question but maybe something that would be helpful to people trying to activate a sim. Do you insert the new sim before or after you activate it? Does it even matter when? I was looking for info on this when I activated my sim and couldn't find any but now realize it's probably common sense as the sim wouldn't work if you insert it before activation. I used a laptop to activate my sim and maybe it's different for people activating through their phones. 

The only thing I will say about inserting your sim before activating it and turning on your phone too is the fact that I believe that you will more likely need to restart the device before the service starts working. However, doing so is not going to harm anything.

Kssdemoreno
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It does not matter if you insert the sim before or after it has been activated.  As long as you have a device that is connected to the internet, you can set up your account and follow the steps to connect your sim to your device. 

Hope this clarifies. 

sandpublic
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Imvc wrote:

This is not totally a question but maybe something that would be helpful to people trying to activate a sim. Do you insert the new sim before or after you activate it?

@Imvc  If you are not porting your number from another provider it doesn't matter. 

Does it even matter when?

When porting your number at the same time as activating your card then it's best to use your old sim in your device until it stops working. That signifies that the port is 100% complete and you can start using your PM card at this point without any issues. If your old card continues to work after 5 hours then there is an issue with your port and best to submit a ticket and as the PM moderators to investigate.

I was looking for info on this when I activated my sim and couldn't find any but now realize it's probably common sense as the sim wouldn't work if you insert it before activation. I used a laptop to activate my sim and maybe it's different for people activating through their phones. 

Variance

The last time I ported over, I put my new simcard in right away and that was a mistake.  Depending on the network congestion, it could take 24-48 hours, maybe even longer for it to fully port over.  So if you switch your sim card right away, you might not be able to make/receive calls yet.

The best thing to do, is to keep your existing simcard until that service no longer works.  Once that happens, pop in your Public Mobile simcard and you should be good to go.

Purplepan

Hi there!

There isn't much of a preference. Personally, I kept my old SIM in until my new one is activated, so if I were to get any old texts on my old provider, I could still read them until I switched over SIMs. You'll get a text message from Public Mobile confirming your new service is active when you plug in the new SIM.

Hope this helps. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

I would insert the sim after activation.  If you insert it before activation it would not connect or display a network.

Need Help? Let's chat.