cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation without a phone?

horizon89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hello,  I am referring a family member to Public Mobile.  We have ordered a new phone, however it will probably not arrive for 2-3 weeks. We would like to take advantage of the current promotions before they expire and already have a SIM card.  Is it possible to create an account, choose a plan, enter payment info etc. and activate PRIOR to receiving the phone?   Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

@horizon89

You could activate the SIM card in any other (unlocked, Telus-locked, Koodo-locked) phone - assuming you could borrow one long enough to swap SIMs and restart a couple times - although it shouldn't be necessary. 

@iPhoneUser wrote:

I recently referred to a friend with no phone. Sim was activated and account was topped up by a voucher but for some reason she needed a texted code to finish her account or? Does any one what that would be about. It appears she initiated a process that requred a code and may have initiated the process 3 times.....thus 3 codes were sent to her. Does any one know what this process would be when doing an application  something else soon after?

@iPhoneUser  I do believe @rktc_2003  is correct the text is to access the self serve. Once the SIM is put in a phone it will recieve it. Access to the self serve account would be restricted til the code is entered.

@horizon89  It is likely a promo may be offered this morning (friday) if not see if pm offers an early boxing day sale that allows you to take advantage of the holiday free add on gifts that would have to be loaded onto the account by 11:59pm et. December 25th. If you have any cell phone to put the SIM that you're activating in to make sure all the services are working and recieve the text that contains the code to Access the self serve account so you can load the holiday add ons by xmas day.

rktc_2003
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When you setup account, system sent out SMS containing code to enter to create account. You need to insert your sim into phone to receive SMS.

If you attempt more than one for SMS, than latest one will work. 

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, once you have the SIM, it is possible to set everything up in advance of getting the phone.

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I recently referred to a friend with no phone. Sim was activated and account was topped up by a voucher but for some reason she needed a texted code to finish her account or? Does any one what that would be about. It appears she initiated a process that requred a code and may have initiated the process 3 times.....thus 3 codes were sent to her. Does any one know what this process would be when doing an application  something else soon after?

mika2678
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

yes you can, just be sure not to pop out your sim card too early as depending on the phone you get

if you pop out the smaller, you may or may not need the larger size

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@horizon89 wrote:
Hello,  I am referring a family member to Public Mobile.  We have ordered a new phone, however it will probably not arrive for 2-3 weeks. We would like to take advantage of the current promotions before they expire and already have a SIM card.  Is it possible to create an account, choose a plan, enter payment info etc. and activate PRIOR to receiving the phone?   Thanks.

@horizon89  Yes, just activate the sim online.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@horizon89 wrote:

Yes; no phone required to activate a SIM/account. You may want to wait to see if any boxing day deals arrive. Though "bird in the hand", etc.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@horizon89- YES!  There is no issue activating without the phone.  As long as you have the SIM, you are good to go.  You can drop the SIM into any compatible phone to ensure that everything is working OK after activation.

Need Help? Let's chat.