cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation with ding.com

mhdamrollahi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I need to activate my new SIM card, but I do not have credit card.

May I use ding.com to purchase a e-voucher (Payment PIN) with my friend credit card to activate my SIM?

mhdamrollahi_1-1610473218214.png

mhdamrollahi_0-1610473118827.png

29 REPLIES 29

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I've never noticed a difference but slightly faster at the current wait time could be a day faster so yes you could sabotage oneself. But what is this caused by? Shortened working hours, less staff, increased tickets submitted? Its adding up to = less customers due to no service!

What about my autopay quandrary? Am I incorrect?

I'm not trying to say that increased wait times isn't an issue. It certainly is, but any amount of delay that could be added to the wait time because of any prioritization of tickets that's going on (private message vs. SIMon) can add up quickly if there's a backlog of tickets.  Only Public Mobile could provide an answer about if there's something going on causing these ticket delays.

@computergeek541 

I've never noticed a difference but slightly faster at the current wait time could be a day faster so yes you could sabotage oneself. But what is this caused by? Shortened working hours, less staff, increased tickets submitted? Its adding up to = less customers due to no service!

What about my autopay quandrary? Am I incorrect?

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

The only issue that came out of it was despite adding an autopay card immediately afterwards and the reward being added  it only shows $2 not $4. The mods are too busy to ask right now. I have 3 accounts that have minor reward issues but I dont want to tie up support on a minor issue....my message to the mods for another member is still unread at 71.5 hours.

Private messages to moderators usually will show us as unread in your private message outbox.  This is not an indication that the message has not been looked at. Either way, since SIMon tickets receive a higher priority, using private messages is sabotaging your chances of a slightly quicker response.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@Anonymous 

Is that correct? The autopay reward is given for the month for which you prepay for....why wouldnt you get it for that month if you sign up for it 5 minutes later?

Cuz it ain't right. The deal is at activation. I don't think it's reasonable to ask for it after. It just smacks of entitlement.

But hey...they will do referrals after the fact so what do I know.

@Anonymous 

Is that correct? The autopay reward is given for the month for which you prepay for....why wouldnt you get it for that month if you sign up for it 5 minutes later? I got the feeling I had experienced a glitch because it did not show i had signed up for it for my friend until the next day. I had to go back in and double check....once i accessed  the autopay section again ( but made no changes) it then showed up on the overview page although the $2 reward showed up immediately.

You are right the mods don't show when they read messages..... still 74 hours and counting....

mhdamrollahi

Ya, that is OK. I did the same and there is no information of my friends card saved on my account.

Thanks all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : Well...the initial $2 should only be for those that check the box at activation. It doesn't seem right asking for that afterwards.

Are you sure the read status changes with mod messages? I don't think I've seen them change. Or I'm not recalling...again.

@Anonymous 

The only issue that came out of it was despite adding an autopay card immediately afterwards and the reward being added  it only shows $2 not $4. The mods are too busy to ask right now. I have 3 accounts that have minor reward issues but I dont want to tie up support on a minor issue....my message to the mods for another member is still unread at 71.5 hours.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious wrote:

@mhdamrollahi 

I have recently done an activation like this and tested it out. My card info was not saved on the account. I then went into the newly created account and added a kelloggs visa gift card ( it has a balance of $0.27) for the autopay reward. Once you add a card to the account the only info accessible  are the last 4 digits of the card nothing else is visible (Just an FYI.) Once you activate and recieve you 6 digit code for your self serve account set up you can show your friend that there is no card on the account for reassurance.

You can set up these gift cards with zero balance even. You can also spend them out by doing a multi-payment purchase in stores. You tell them the balance you have on the card, swipe it and then the rest however else.

Interesting with the activation payment method. I would have claimed that the card would be there even though autopay might not be toggled on. So good to know from your experience.

@mhdamrollahi 

I have recently done an activation like this and tested it out. My card info was not saved on the account. I then went into the newly created account and added a kelloggs visa gift card ( it has a balance of $0.27) for the autopay reward. Once you add a card to the account the only info accessible  are the last 4 digits of the card nothing else is visible (Just an FYI.) Once you activate and recieve you 6 digit code for your self serve account set up you can show your friend that there is no card on the account for reassurance.

_Daniel_

I think at this point it's whatever feels best for you and your friend.

If your friend wants to use their card to buy you a ding voucher and you pay them the cash... then let that be the way.

If they feel good about what @darlicious said about "The credit card info is not kept on file unless you agree to it." if you don't sign up for autopay, that would work to.

Whatever feels best for you and your friend... and enjoy your new PM service! 😎

mhdamrollahi

My friend just want to make sure nothing about his credit card will be saved on my account! Is that OK?

@Anonymous wrote:

@mhdamrollahi wrote:

But there is no fee with ding.com, you pay 30$ and receive 30$. but this is not true about recharge !

Interesting. I've used recharge before and it came out to be just marginally more than buying in store. It would be more in comparison to buying in store in AB.

Are you sure there's no other little dollars here and there from ding? I've never bought from them.

Perdy shur there's a processing fee ...at the least.

@mhdamrollahi 

I'm just curious why you are buying a voucher in the first place if your friend has already agreed to let you charge your first payment to the card. Just activate your sim card. Pay with the credit card and don't sign up for autopay. The credit card info is not kept on file unless you agree to it.  Then apply for a koho card. It takes about 5 business days to be mailed to you and you can then add it for autopay.

If you have read up on activations.....clear browser, incognito mode, use firefox or chrome.....

Just match the credit card address exactly to its billing, dont use the apt/unit box, no space in the postal code and use ALL CAPS!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mhdamrollahi wrote:

But there is no fee with ding.com, you pay 30$ and receive 30$. but this is not true about recharge !

Interesting. I've used recharge before and it came out to be just marginally more than buying in store. It would be more in comparison to buying in store in AB.

Are you sure there's no other little dollars here and there from ding? I've never bought from them.

mhdamrollahi

@Anonymous wrote:

@mhdamrollahi : So with input from one of the Oracles (computergeek541) I had to go look deeper into ding.com. I see now that they send a PIN to whatever number, presumably like a text, and then one enters that PIN into the account like a voucher.

It had been my previous conclusion that the number entered was for Instant Top-up.

While I wouldn't really like to involve another number for purchasing this for activation purposes...I guess it is indeed a voucher. I much prefer recharge.com sending an email.

I vaguely recall recharge.com having an option for it to be sent to your phone number, but entering a phone number was optional. They can't possibly apply it to your cell phone account, which can't be done if the Public Mobile account hasn't been opened yet, or if you don't provide them with the phone number. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mhdamrollahi : So with input from one of the Oracles (computergeek541) I had to go look deeper into ding.com. I see now that they send a PIN to whatever number, presumably like a text, and then one enters that PIN into the account like a voucher.

It had been my previous conclusion that the number entered was for Instant Top-up.

While I wouldn't really like to involve another number for purchasing this for activation purposes...I guess it is indeed a voucher. I much prefer recharge.com sending an email.

@mhdamrollahi wrote:

I am a bit confused. I had better go and buy from the store!

I would encourage you to purchase online, for simply one reason. When there's an online option available, stores should currently be avoided whenever possible in many places due to health concerns, unless you already had to be at that store anyway. I know ding.com might charge slightly more than a retail store, but if that's your preference, I don't see any reason not to purchase from them other than the slightly increased price. You don't need to enter a phone number to purchase from these websites. These companies will e-mail you the voucher number. These voucher numbers work exactly the same as if you were to purcahse the voucher from a store, other than you dont receive the code printed on a piece of paper.

mhdamrollahi

I am a bit confused. I had better go and buy from the store!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed. ding.com doesn't do vouchers. Recharge.com or canadiancellsupplies.com or many stores.

mhdamrollahi

which phone number should I enter in ding.com? My friends phone number? because I do not have any number yet.

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@mhdamrollahi Buying from ding.com ia the same as buying from store.

mhdamrollahi

Thanks,

Also I will pay him in cash. The problem is just not having a credit card.

I need to activate my new SIM card, then I can use my own credit card.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@mhdamrollahi wrote:

Hi,

I need to activate my new SIM card, but I do not have credit card.

May I use ding.com to purchase a e-voucher (Payment PIN) with my friend credit card to activate my SIM?

mhdamrollahi_1-1610473218214.png

mhdamrollahi_0-1610473118827.png

Hi @mhdamrollahi as already answered by posters above, yes you use an e-voucher purchased through your friend's credit card.  What a friend!  He/she is a keeper!  Please do not jeopardize that friendship.  

Instead, may I suggest that you purchase a prepaid Visa/Mastercard credit card so you can register for autopayment which will get you $2 credit every 30 days.  Just make sure you upload a voucher to top up your account.  You can purchase a Public Mobile voucher from most gas stations, Walmart, London Drug Mart, or your local convenience stores.

Check out samples of vouchers from @darlicious Voucher Catalogue

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Voucher-Catalogue/td-p/479165....

I hope this helps.  Stay safe and Happy New Year.

RosieR

mhdamrollahi

So, this is for the first time to activate my SIM, then I will be able to apply for credit card.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Triguy wrote:

Yes

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/voucher-payment-options

@mhdamrollahi note that this help article linked by @Triguy mentions recharge.com, which has been mentioned in the community and seems to work well for people.  I'm not personally familiar with ding.com.  It may work, but I cannot say either way.  Did you try searching the community here for that URL?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

You definitely can but you will not get autopay rewards.

If your friend trusts you you could just use their credit card and give them cash. If they collect points they benefit and you get extra$2 off each bill plus extra data.

You can also use since prepaid cards as well as debit visa.

Koho is free and it's pubicmmobile partner so they will give you 2.5% cashback and have absolutely no fees. 

Need Help? Let's chat.