cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of SIM card w ported number from Virhin

Robin3378
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I ported my number from Virgin and activated my SIM. I took my virgin SIM out and put in my Public Works and it now says "the SIM card that you currently have installed in thi iPhone is from a service provider that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported service provider or request that this iphone be unlocked by your service provider. Please contact Apple for more information" my phone was brand new when I bought it and was unlocked to any server. My virgin card is now deactivated as I tried to port the number so I have no phone currently. Help would be greatly appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6

saje_ward
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Your phone sounds like it is locked to Virgin. They should unlock it for you for free.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@Robin3378 wrote:

I ported my number from Virgin and activated my SIM. I took my virgin SIM out and put in my Public Works and it now says "the SIM card that you currently have installed in thi iPhone is from a service provider that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported service provider or request that this iphone be unlocked by your service provider. Please contact Apple for more information" my phone was brand new when I bought it and was unlocked to any server. My virgin card is now deactivated as I tried to port the number so I have no phone currently. Help would be greatly appreciated. 

If the phone is locked to virgin, you'll have to call them to request your free unlock code. Alternative is to pay for one on-line. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

There's no such thing as an unlock code for an iPhone device.  But yes, Virgin would be able to unlock it by having the IMEI of this device added to a list of unlocked iPhones.  I just hope they don't give the OP hassle for no longer being a customer. 

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Robin3378,

It will be inconvenient without a phone. However, you can download free apps to be used for calling or texting in the meantime when you have wifi. I am using Fongo and TextNow so far. It is only a temporary solution. Hope that you will get your phone unlocked soon.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Robin3378 , I google searched your issue.  According to this apple forum thread, your phone is SIM locked to a different carrier.  You will need to have the phone unlocked.  

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6020431

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Robin3378 wrote:

Did you buy the phone through Virgin? How long ago? If before Dec 2017 then it might have been locked to Virgin. I vote asking them for the unlock code.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Robin3378 wrote:

If the phone is locked to virgin, you'll have to call them to request your free unlock code. Alternative is to pay for one on-line. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Need Help? Let's chat.