cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation fails

mwiersma
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have tried to activate a new PM SIM three times, but the activation has failed each time. Details:

• The credit card has been charged each time
  • I tried two different browsers (Chrome and edge)
  • I was trying to transfer a number from Telus using the IMEI, and the activation process spent a long time on the phone number checkbox before giving up.

Does anyone have any tips on what's going on or how to fix it? My naive thought is that it is failing because of the number port. Would it be better to use the account number instead of IMEI? Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

@mwiersma glad it all works out after a brief hiccup.

Welcome to PM !!  Enjoy the sving!!

mwiersma

As a final update, everything seems to be good now:

• The mod team gave me a link that allowed me to create a self-serve login. Apparently the self-serve login wasn't created when the mods activated the SIM for me (I don't understand how this should be possible, but I am glad it is fixed).
  • Also, I was finally able to get the number ported over.

@mwiersma 

It shouldn't be difficult and isn't for 99% of customers but someone has to fall into the 1% and unfortunately that was you. Now that you have a temporary number and the moderators have completed your activation is there a reason you can't access your self serve account? Or do you have to wait for the moderators to finish setting up your account as well?

You can reinitiate your port request once your account is set up just make sure you put your telus sim card back in your phone to recieve the text from telus.

**I find the members who had a nightmarish activation have a very smooth and trouble free service afterwards.

@mwiersma  yes, porting the number could be a journey.  No worry, you are almost there.  

Keep us posted and send us the good news.

mwiersma

To give an update: I contacted the mod team to finish, and they were able to finish the activation for me with a temporary. Unfortunately I do not have access to my online account and porting the phone number did not work. For the second issue, they gave me a number to phone (which I will do later). The first still needs to be dealt with.

I really did not expect this to be so difficult 😕.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@mwiersma 

You have 90 minutes to reply YES to the porting authorization text. Have your telus sim card in the phone in case the continue to send you additional texts since you activated later in the day. If your sim does not have outgoing calling/texting and data then your sim card did not provision correctly (this msy be why it allowed you to redo the activations and triple charge your card.)

Since moderator contact is necessary to fix your account and provision your sim card the telus porting department cannot help you. The moderators can reinitiate your port request for you once they sort out your activation/account.

You may request a refund for the extra charges but they can take 3 weeks to recieve. If its not a hardship to you just keep the credit in your account and your next couple of renewals are already taken care of....check your email to see if you recieved the welcome email from public mobile.

Here's more info on porting that pertains to your issue.....

Mobile Phone Number Transfer

Landline Phone Number Transfer

Old service provider brand 

First and last name of account holder

IMEI Number OR Previous Provider Account Number

Complete billing address

Alternate Contact Phone Number

Alternate Contact Phone Number

For additional security, your previous service provider may also send an SMS text to validate the transfer. 

Follow the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer. 

If you have missed the 90 minute window to respond, we will send you an SMS with instructions on how to re-initiate the transfer.

Note, that if you are transferring an existing number from TELUS Prepaid, TELUS Postpaid, or Koodo Postpaid, and have missed the 90 minute window to respond, we will automatically resend you the SMS text to validate the transfer up to 5 times between the hours of 11 AM and 8 PM ET. If those attempts are unsuccessful, we will send an SMS with instructions on how to reinitiate your number transfer request.

Tips:

• Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message. 
  • Be sure to check all texts that could go to any other members on the old account and any junk or spam folders.

Please note, it may take up to 2 hours to complete mobile number transfers, and up to 3 business days for landline number transfers. You may experience mixed service during this time until the transfer is complete. 

Welcome to public mobile!

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@mwiersma 

I am surprised that your PM SIM did not activate when you completed step 4 payment.

As noted by @computergeek541 and @softech .

You will need to contact a PM moderator to look into your extra charges and activation issues.

@mwiersma wrote:

I have tried to activate a new PM SIM three times, but the activation has failed each time. Details:

• The credit card has been charged each time
  • I tried two different browsers (Chrome and edge)
  • I was trying to transfer a number from Telus using the IMEI, and the activation process spent a long time on the phone number checkbox before giving up.

Does anyone have any tips on what's going on or how to fix it? My naive thought is that it is failing because of the number port. Would it be better to use the account number instead of IMEI? Thank you in advance!

That should not have happened. You should clearly only be charged for a successful activation. And, if you're charged, the activation site shouldn't even allow you to try again.  If you insert your Public Mobile SIM card, does it work?  Does your Telus Mobility SIM card still work?  You do need to respond to a text message from Telus to approve the nubmer transfer.

In any event, I'm going on the assumption that a Public Mobile accoutn was opened, and you'll have to contact the moderators about the extra credit card charges. Please open a ticket by proceeding to:   https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@mwiersma   did you try putting the SIM card into a phone to see if it works?

It is possible that the account is activated but just the webserver not showing the result.

For the credit card charged multiple time as well as this activation issue, you can also open a ticket with mod via private messaging:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

(After you open a ticket with mod, please monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right.  Mod will communicate with you via messaging within Community)

It's a bit late today, mod likely will reply you tomorrow.

Need Help? Let's chat.