cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation does not recognize my SIM number as valid. Could it be too old? ~3 months.

davep2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Activation does not recognize my SIM number as valid. Could it be too old? ~3 months.

14 REPLIES 14

@davep2 

Oops....sorry do you mean to check the operation of your phone? Can you borrow a sim card from a friend with pm/ koodo or telus to test if it works in your phone? Otherwise you could go to a telus/koodo store and ask them to borrow a test sim card or a pm retail partner like london drugs or TMS at Superstore/Loblaws locations.

@davep2 

If your sim card has never worked then it would only be able to be provisioned on the account end by a moderator.

If you had purchased the sim card thru pm directly then an RMA could be possible but that often takes up to 4 weeks to process. Whereas a credit would be added to your account immediately and can be used towards your renewal or to purchase add ons.

davep2

Replacing the SIM may be the solution, but:

Is there a diagnostic I could run on the device to confirm its operation once the radio is turned on?

Also, can Public Mobility handle the replacement through an RMA process? (Return Material Authorization)

Sorry @davep2  , need you to clarify ..

you have been paying PM for the past 3 months.   I guess you have bene using the service

What problem are you having?  Did you  mean you have been using the phone and PM service and suddenly not working ?

Your topic subject was "activation does not recognize my Sim number as valid" and I thought you are having issue during Activation with the activation portal.

davep2

If by subscriber you mean I have been paying for the last 3 months, yes.

This is my first cell phone with a SIM card, ever.  (I had an old Nokia that I bought from Bell, probably 25 years ago.)

The card was bought new at a Kiosk in a grocery store.

@davep2 

It sounds like your sim card either did not provision correctly upon activation or possibly got a dud. Contact the moderators to reprovision your sim card. If that fails to get your sim card working then you will need to replace it preferably from a local retailer. Save your reciept to submit to the moderators for an account credit when you contact them to swap your current sim card out with the new one's sim card # in your account.

@davep2 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

The SIM card was new, in it's original packaging.  I got past this step before when I bought the card months ago but couldn't get it to connect.

MyAccount's status is "Active", payments have been uninterrupted for the last 3 months (since I bought the card)

611 produces "Mobile Network not available".  

The mobile radio icon shows no bars with a small looking glass icon on top of it.

@davep2    "MyAccount's status is "Active"   are you a PM subscriber already?  you are activating a 2nd account?  or you are trying to do a SIM Swap?

davep2

Thanks for the reply.

The SIM card was new, in it's original packaging.  I got past this step before when I bought the card months ago but couldn't get it to connect.

MyAccount's status is "Active", payments have been uninterrupted for the last 3 months (since I bought the card)

611 produces "Mobile Network not available".  

The mobile radio icon shows no bars with a small looking glass icon on top of it.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@davep2 

Like others have said, new and unactivated SIM cards don't expire.  Could you SIM already be activated?  (You can't re-use a previously-used SIM if that's applicable here.)

If it's been over 3 months, could it have been activated and then suspended with possibly your account cancelled?  That's a possibility.  Have you ever had, or are you able to log in to My Account:

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

If so, you can see what it says.  Or alternatively, if the SIM card is in your phone, dial 611 and see what it says.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@davep2 wrote:

@davep2 

Try:

• rebooting your phone
  • remove and reinsert SIM
  • toggle into airplane mode for a few minutes, then back to regular mode
  • do a RESET of your Network Settings.

If still issues - can you try the SIM into another compatible PM phone?

Also,

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@davep2 

There are no expiry date on PM SIM cards as long as you didn’t activate it in the past.

Anonymous
Not applicable

do you used before your SIM card Activated
or is a brand new SIM card.

if your SIM card is activation before you can't reactivated again,

you have to buy it a brand new SIM card.

Good Luck

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@davep2  no, SIM won't get old.

is that a new SIM card never been activated?  SIM cannot be reused after activated once

Where did you get the SIM from ?  Directly from PM or from stores?

@davep2 wrote:

SIM cards are valid for activation as long as they haven't been used before. An error message means that the SIM card number is either typed in incorrect or that it is has been used before (possibly even by accident).

Need Help? Let's chat.