cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating an account

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Hey everyone,

So I have a question on how to best activate my mom's account this week before the May 22nd deadline. 

So because of social distancing I cant actually meet up with her. And she is not very tech savy, she would get frustrated quickly with the port process. 

Here is my plan:

I have a SIM for her and her phone is unlocked and ready.

I want to reach out and see if my plan makes sense?

part of it as well is I wont be able to get to her until after the 22nd so I need to actuvate it prior to that so she can take advantage of that free month I already signed her up for. 

So I activate the SIM through the activation process, assign it a public mobile number. I can make sure it has worked by putting the SIM card in my own phone. 

Then once I get her the SIM card and insert it in her phone, that has been activated I reach out to the moderators and ask them to port her number over. 

Reminder, I cant just port her number because she is at a distance and I wint be able to get the SIM card to her quickly. 

hopefully that all makes sense. 

@will13am @Luddite @ShawnC13 @mimmo @computergeek541 @NDesai can you please let me know if I am missing anything? 

46 REPLIES 46

@dkar1234 

If simple Simon gives you the run around send a private message to the moderators adding "incomplete port" in the subject line and add to your message the following information:

1. Full name and address on pm account.
  2. Email address on account and pin #.
  3. Phone number being ported, from which provider? The account # of porting number,
  4. Be prepared to also supply one or more identifiers : dob, alternate ph # if any, payment type, amount, date paid and last 4 digits on card, security question and answer.

Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times. Good luck and welcome to public mobile.

@dkar1234 wrote:

How do I creat a support ticket for moderator? 

is there any link?

my porting is incomplete and unable to receive calls.

thanks

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat

dkar1234
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I creat a support ticket for moderator? 

is there any link?

my porting is incomplete and unable to receive calls.

thanks

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hello Kevin!

Please create a ticket to the moderator's team and we will be more than happy to assist! 

Regards,

Daniel-Moderator's Team

Halifaxman50
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm trying to unlock my sim card.

My number was from Rogers.

Need my number ported from Rogers.

Thank you

Kevin

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Ok so everything went smooth. I have to say it was seemless. My mom was able to come by and I gave her the SIM. 

I activated the account with a Public Mobile number, set up a community account. Private messaged the mods. Told them no rush I need to port a number to an active account. 

Received a Private neasage back in the morning. 

Mom came by, I inserted the SIM I got from canadiancellsupplies.com 

(they do work) 

I then immediatley private messaged them from the ticket with account number and phone number from virgin. 

In literally 6 mins the number was pirtes and complete!

Amazing job Public Mobile! 

@

@mpcdesign yeah @darlicious actually taught me, you click on the solution post and find the three dots up top right and then cliick "not a solution" then pick the one you want or found more true after the fact. 

What, we can actually re-tract a solution after the fact? That's so cool. I agree with @Naepalm , I didn't think we had the 'power' to do this!

@Naepalm wrote:

@NDesai I removed the accepted solution, since its no longer the solution lol. I accepted it because it was the easiest with self serve. 

No worries, i didn't expect my original post to be a solution anyways. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@computergeek541 

That’s good to know for anyone who accepted a wrong solution. 

Another thing added to my Brain 

thank.you for that edit solution I have had a couple where I wanted to change it but didnt want to bother the oracles.

@Naepalm wrote:

@NDesai can you remove the accepted solution, since its no longer the solution lol. I accepted it because it was the easiest with self serve. 

or @computergeek541 since you are on can you cancel the acceptednaolution on this is it is no longer a solution as desai pointed out. 

This is something that I'm able to do, but the option is also available to you as well. You would simply need to click on the message's menu and select "not the solution".

@Naepalm  Use the edit box there should be an option at the bottom of the pop up window to edit the solution.

brettster99

@Naepalm 

Okay well then that sucks. @darlicious  you are still right when it works normally just not sure if it would work now with the world gone screwed.

I would highly suggest using textnow to tide her over. It’s not the best case scenario but it at least leaves her with a phone to call and text from temporarily until this mess called Covid-19 gets sorted out 

@darlicious why I made it the solution is because I didnt know that you could use self serve, now that I cant that really is no longer a solution for me... 😒

@NDesai I removed the accepted solution, since its no longer the solution lol. I accepted it because it was the easiest with self serve. 

@Naepalm 

Was I just blowing hot air here......"You don't physically need to have the card to activate it....just the number on the sim card."

@Naepalm You can request to port in her number directly from the self-serve account. No need to contact mod unless you run into problems. All you need is an account number of her current carrier, but make sure her account is active when you request to port in. You have an option to ship her the sim card now and take a note of the sim number that you will use to activate a new line. 

@NDesai oh boo, well that sucks. ok thank you. Hope they fix that with the update then. 

@NDesai yes it has been far to long hopefully they can give you a timeline 

@Naepalm Actually, cancel what i said regarding porting her number from self-serve as it is still disabled. Contact mod through Simon or PM. It has been pretty long since they were making some changes in the backend. Gotta find out ETA on that. 

@RossN Right!

@NDesai hello porting is working in self serve again? when I click on it I get this message   Unfortunately, this action cannot be performed. To transfer your number from another provider, please reach out to a moderator through our chat bot. To complete your port-in request, please open our chatbot via this link bit.ly/2GF1pHW and type in “port request”. This will put you in touch with our moderator team

@NDesai Perfect then I am good to go thanks for letting me know about the self serve option, that will make it easier.

brettster99

@Naepalm @NDesai 

NDesai Coming in with the knowledge bomb. Looks like you are good to go Naepalm

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Naepalm You can request to port in her number directly from the self-serve account. No need to contact mod unless you run into problems. All you need is an account number of her current carrier, but make sure her account is active when you request to port in. You have an option to ship her the sim card now and take a note of the sim number that you will use to activate a new line. 

@Naepalm 

Since you'll have to plan ahead....email, pin #, security question and answer etc....prepare her a cheat sheet and mail it separately. Registered mail. Every activation i do gets a cheat sheet from me and i keep a copy if they want me to....and I give them the basic three trouble shooting techniques. Reboot, airplane mode and lost/stolen.

@darlicious she likes shiny things...lol

brettster99

@Naepalm 

Wishing you of luck and prayers 🙂 

Thanks everyone! Ill wait to hear back from one of the oracles to see if they know of any issues and I'll get this going. Thank you so much for digging into this with me!
Very helpful!

@Naepalm 

That's a lot of phone for a non tech savvy lady! Is it dual sim?

brettster99

@darlicious 

I might be really dumb the way I’m looking at this but isn’t virgin under bell?

Or do you mean call Telus to complete port on the receiving end? I just woke up at 1:19 PM est so I’m still waking up Laughing out loud 

Need Help? Let's chat.