cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating an account

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

Hey everyone,

So I have a question on how to best activate my mom's account this week before the May 22nd deadline. 

So because of social distancing I cant actually meet up with her. And she is not very tech savy, she would get frustrated quickly with the port process. 

Here is my plan:

I have a SIM for her and her phone is unlocked and ready.

I want to reach out and see if my plan makes sense?

part of it as well is I wont be able to get to her until after the 22nd so I need to actuvate it prior to that so she can take advantage of that free month I already signed her up for. 

So I activate the SIM through the activation process, assign it a public mobile number. I can make sure it has worked by putting the SIM card in my own phone. 

Then once I get her the SIM card and insert it in her phone, that has been activated I reach out to the moderators and ask them to port her number over. 

Reminder, I cant just port her number because she is at a distance and I wint be able to get the SIM card to her quickly. 

hopefully that all makes sense. 

@will13am @Luddite @ShawnC13 @mimmo @computergeek541 @NDesai can you please let me know if I am missing anything? 

46 REPLIES 46

@darlicious no she has no access to another phone unfortunatley. Samsung galaxy S10 is her phone. 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naepalm 

Is textnow an option? To tide her over until June. I know she is not tech savvy and you can’t see her til June. But if you can guide her to just download the app and use that ( because I assume she spends time at home and has wifi) til you can see her in person 

@darlicious wrote:

@RossN 

Hi how's it going? I'm only saying activating on a temporary number rarely has an issue unless you get a bad sim or your account doesn't provision correctly. But that is very rare. Porting during activation is almost always without issue so why do the process twice. The biggest issue that could come up would be having to add the APN if it doesnt set automatically.

@darlicious  yes I see but if you port her number now she will be without cell service until he see's her, sounds like it may be a while😊

@Naepalm  Whats the make and model of her phone? And does she have access to another phone like a landline?

@RossN 

Hi how's it going? I'm only saying activating on a temporary number rarely has an issue unless you get a bad sim or your account doesn't provision correctly. But that is very rare. Porting during activation is almost always without issue so why do the process twice. The biggest issue that could come up would be having to add the APN if it doesnt set automatically.

@darlicious the issue I am trying to get around is two fold, time constraint and my mom not being tech savy. More so for the former. I wont be seing her until almost June. So if I port her number she will lose service until I get her the SIM. 

I could port the number but it is the time constraint that I am trying to work around. 

I just wasnt sure how efficient my methid would be considering the variables. 

@Naepalm  The only issue I can see is virgin. Plan ahead and have the account number it requires customer service which can be an issue getting a hold of them there's a dialing trick...a sequence of numbers that gets you a live agent versus an endless run around. Also be sure you give yourself a minimum of 3 days before her plan expires in case there's an issue. Any way you look at it unless you are with her during porting its probably better you do it during activation then having to deal with a third party (the moderators) as well. Just activate and port during normal business hours.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

She can leave the phone with you

You can do everything clean up the phone put it in a ziplock bag and pass out back.

It doesn't stay on surfaces for as long as they believed (only in lab settings) but if worried wipe down with disinfectant napkins

@darlicious hi how are you today I am not sure what part do you disagree with?

@RossN  I disagree  depending on her provider and her phone. She only needs to put the sim card in her phone once activated and wait for the port to complete. If there is an issue @Naepalm can still contact the moderators or call the telus porting department on behalf of his mom to sort things out.

@Naepalm Hi I think your just making it complicated for yourself,just activate before the 22nd try it in your phone like you say give it to her when you see her,  port number later oh yea and the most important thing is give her a big hug for all of us!!

@Naepalm 

Absolutely....she can put the sim in no problem? The chances of an issue when porting are low and the same if the moderators do it. Who is her provider now?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm  it's a good plan. To add to it depending on the make and model of your phone, you may have to do a network reset for the phone to work properly and you may have to reset the APN settings too.. Stay safe. 

@darlicious since she cant do any of the steps I explained.

Just give her the card and port her number is that what you are saying? 

edit: That could work if I can get it to her shes on the other side of Ontario though.

😭

"Are you referring her from one of your family members that eligible for the $20 bonus credit?"

Yes I will be doing that and if my family has Ill reach out to friends or even here to anyone that needs it. 

biggest thing here is that she moves away from her provider virgin. @darlicious 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Naepalm 

Your plan would work.  The only hassle is getting the moderator to port over the phone later.  That might take some time.  Otherwise, everything seems in order.  

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Naepalm 

You don't physically need to have the card to activate it....just the number on the sim card. You could send the card now.....

Are you referring her from one of your family members that eligible for the $20 bonus credit?

Need Help? Let's chat.