cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated sim but no service

Jerrytows
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I activated my sim cord and registered but phone shows no service. What am I doing wrong?

15 REPLIES 15

apresco0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can you confirm whether the phone is unlocked? And you checked to make sure it'll work on the PM network? - Phone is unlocked, device verified as not stolen and confirmed should work on their network. (As stated in another thread, phone was previously on Telus)

Provided these two things are in place and it's an Android phone, have you try to reset the network settings? - Helpful suggestion, and I've now tried this... no dice, and now I've lost all my saved Wi-Fi networks. Thanks for that PM, having not gotten back to me yet.

If none of this works, as others said, are you able to test the SIM in another phone? They or pins in the reader can easily get bent. - Tested, same deal.

Barring all of this, more drastic measures may need to be taken - EXACTLY what I've been saying... but the Mods aren't giving me an update on this.

apresco0

SIM state is showing as Ready... thanks for the great suggestion an0n!

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can you confirm whether the phone is unlocked? And you checked to make sure it'll work on the PM network?

Provided these two things are in place and it's an Android phone, have you try to reset the network settings? https://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Network-Settings-on-Android

If none of this works, as others said, are you able to test the SIM in another phone? They or pins in the reader can easily get bent.

Barring all of this, more drastic measures may need to be taken (factory reset entire phone, hurry up and wait with the escalated ticket). But if you could provide more info, that'd help greatly. Good luck!

an0n

maybe it will find some errors, im not sure. here is an example of a working SIM card --SIM-Card-Manager-1    what does your SIM card show for SIM state? It should show 'Ready', as in the picture, if it worked. .

apresco0

I would still test the SIM card in another phone, just to see what happens - One of the first things I tried, no dice.

Another check i would do, is check the info on the SIM card manager / info app .APK - Hey, finally a new idea! What might I be looking for there, and where? Never much gone down to the .APK level on my phones, never had need to. Any guidence would be appreciated.

an0n

Ok, you know your phones then. I would still test the SIM card in another phone, just to see what happens.. if it wont work in any other phones, then it must be a Public Mobile service issue.

Another thing that you might want to is check out if you havn't already, is the info provided by the SIM card with a SIM card manager / info app .APK

apresco0

For absolute sure it's not blacklisted... it's my old phone from my old employer, where I was in fact one of the cellular admins, and who graciously let me take it with me. In addition I was doing a fair bit of phone unlocking a few months back, so yes I have that blacklist checker in my favourites.

As stated in another thread, it was working perfectly on Freedom Mobile as of two days ago.

an0n

Maybe your phone is 'blacklisted' ? ... where did you get it?

was it bought off craigslist, a shady neighbour, did you 'find' it?

Check your phone 'blacklist' status in Canada easily...

first get the IMEI on your phone by dialing *#06# ,

then enter the # that appears on your phone here -- https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

As a consumer you can check 2 IMEI #'s a day on the official site....

if you hit your daily limit and want to check the status of some more IMEI #'s in Canada, I suggest using a third party site like this one: https://lookup.unlockr.ca/

apresco0

Thanks MJ23... that's preceicely what I've been trying to do for 3 days now, with virtually zero success. One Mod (Khaled) advised that he'd created a ticket for this and escalated it, but no one has followed up with me on that since it was created over 40 hours ago. I think we can all agree that's not exactly top notch customer service.

MJ23
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I suggest contacting a mod directly as they can help resolve the issue.  I’ve helped port a few people over and have not seen a situation like this. The Mods can help.

cheers,

mj23

apresco0

You're lucky. I've been waiting for two days and still do not have a working phone. I've been getting the runaround from unresponsive moderators, being told that someone would call me within two hours, and that was over 24 hours ago. Then asked by another tech for my ticket number so they could look into it, and then getting ZERO response from them whatsoever.
On top of that, they've double charged my credit card, for a service I'm not even getting. Absolute Micky Mouse operation if you ask me.

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Jerrytows Is your phone unlocked?did you try all of the things the community can suggest for troubleshooting?  At this point, if your phone still no service ,I suggest you send a private message to the moderator team.  

EddieL

You can also try restarting your phone so it searches for the network again.

hzmy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jerrytows wrote:

I activated my sim cord and registered but phone shows no service. What am I doing wrong?

Are you porting from an existing carrier, or this is a new number?

Either way, it could take a bit of wait, and watch your phone for any possible PM text msgs.

Murco
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How long did you wait? It can take a bit of time. Haveyou tried turning off the phone, removing the SIM card, reinserting it, and turning the phone back on?

Need Help? Let's chat.