cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Activated iPhone how to get service

@stonechucker  When you take a cranky 76 year old man who only uses the free iPhone he was given as a phone whose been blindly giving $40 a month to fido at the bank every month because he has no idea how much his bill is since fido stopped sending him a bill in the mail and can't find his account number cause he's burnt all paperwork in his wood stove and a technophobe that has only graduated from a flip phone a few months ago and try to get them to activate public mobile on an iPhone with no computer access let alone apple access....IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!  I prepared myself for this endeavor by lining up a few members with iPhone experience to take us by hand down the apple path...i wanted to help my elderly neighbour save some money on his phone bill. He's not in a financial position to get another phone to call this thread a bunch of garbage simply because we don't have a clue what were doing but trying our best is well to put it bluntly..... is INSULTING! We all can't be up to date with every device and when it's the opposite of any knowledge you may have...i was aware of something you have to do with iTunes to make it work but I didn't know you had to directly hook it up to a computer.....and people suggesting Icloud  and I'm sitting in a run down 130 year old house with only a wood stove for heat, limited access to WiFi only because he can get it from the neighbour.....how about you try and make a croquembouche without a recipe and tell me how that turns out.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Reading ALL four pages of this, just connect the phone to a Windows or macOS computer with iTunes.  This is not rocket science.

I should stay away more from the community, so much garbage here lately.

While I was mistaken when I said that there's no on-decvice activation on iPhone 4s, I would still say iTunes is the way to go as it requires really no setting changes. It's a simple as plugging it in and checking for a sucessful activation or carrier not supported message.

Thanks @computergeek541  i am hoping later today when the old guy gets up that a quick trip to the apple store will get it up and running that simply. I know its not rocket science to some but we might as well be lost in space when it comes to any kind if technology let alone apple products...his home phone is a rotary phone from the forties and his pick up truck is turning 40 so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston  do I want to download to be compatible with my tablet (Samsung s2) or his iPhone 4s?

Apple products, in general, are only compatible with Apple products. 

@darlicious Please keep us posted with your successes. 

Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

I just gave away my iPhone 4s so what I say is coming from memory as the iPhone 6, XR, XS Max and 11 that i have all have newer OS which are different then the 4s.

The first thing is to determine the icloud account and password. If the phone was activated on an icloud account you will need the password if you attempted to/going to reset it. 

Even though you can use itunes to update it is not necessary, as long as you have wifi or data to communicate with apple servers. The advantage of itunes is that you should be able to updaye, if required, even if you do not have it setup with a carrier.

Are you able to use your sim in his phone or maybe hotspot to get his phone setup?

@88cranston  @krazykiwi @stonechucker    I will update soon just waiting to hear from my neighbour once he deals with fido to have them contact apple to "unlock" the phone. Then we figure out iTunes.... 

Sorry been a bit distracted just found the guy who "found" my two kitty cats 2 houses down and took them home because he thought they were his friends cats. Some people....

Woohoo iphone hopefully unlocked by now.  Its posdible the icloud on his phonr id not set up or been factory reset.

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On my iPhone, I had to go to settings, phone, and enter my phone number. After I did this, it worked perfectly.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious, I just stumbled upon this thread.  What version of iOS does this phone have?  Settings -> General -> Version?  If it's at least iOS 5, it can do OTA upgrades, and iTunes should not be necessary at all if you have WiFi.

Sounds like you're able to establish a WiFi connection.  Upgrade iOS to 9.3.6 via Settings -> General -> Software Update (might be different path depending on which iOS it currently has).

Once it completes and reboots, ensure it has Public Mobile 24.0 under "Carrier" when you go Settings -> General (assuming you have the Public Mobile SIM inserted).

If it's unlocked, you'll see the 5 signal level bubbles in the upper left, with the scrolling "Public Mobile" text, and "3G".  Otherwise, you'll see "No Service".  If the latter, then after Fido/Rogers submits the unlock request to Apple servers, the iPhone will need to contact Apple servers (i.e. requiring data, so on WiFi) to get the "all clear" to be used on PM.

@CalgaryBen  If memory serves correct it's an IPhone 4s. Likely factory reset before it was given to him. And yes there is access to WiFi.  Will try your suggestions tonight and report back. Thanks!