cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated iPhone how to get service

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Just activated my neighbour's iPhone. Can access account but have no service. Asking to set up data? How do we proceed. Both clueless on iPhone stuff.....

49 REPLIES 49

@CalgaryBen  If memory serves correct it's an IPhone 4s. Likely factory reset before it was given to him. And yes there is access to WiFi.  Will try your suggestions tonight and report back. Thanks!

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious, I just stumbled upon this thread.  What version of iOS does this phone have?  Settings -> General -> Version?  If it's at least iOS 5, it can do OTA upgrades, and iTunes should not be necessary at all if you have WiFi.

Sounds like you're able to establish a WiFi connection.  Upgrade iOS to 9.3.6 via Settings -> General -> Software Update (might be different path depending on which iOS it currently has).

Once it completes and reboots, ensure it has Public Mobile 24.0 under "Carrier" when you go Settings -> General (assuming you have the Public Mobile SIM inserted).

If it's unlocked, you'll see the 5 signal level bubbles in the upper left, with the scrolling "Public Mobile" text, and "3G".  Otherwise, you'll see "No Service".  If the latter, then after Fido/Rogers submits the unlock request to Apple servers, the iPhone will need to contact Apple servers (i.e. requiring data, so on WiFi) to get the "all clear" to be used on PM.

KimberlyKost
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

On my iPhone, I had to go to settings, phone, and enter my phone number. After I did this, it worked perfectly.

Woohoo iphone hopefully unlocked by now.  Its posdible the icloud on his phonr id not set up or been factory reset.

@88cranston  @krazykiwi @stonechucker    I will update soon just waiting to hear from my neighbour once he deals with fido to have them contact apple to "unlock" the phone. Then we figure out iTunes.... 

Sorry been a bit distracted just found the guy who "found" my two kitty cats 2 houses down and took them home because he thought they were his friends cats. Some people....

@darlicious 

I just gave away my iPhone 4s so what I say is coming from memory as the iPhone 6, XR, XS Max and 11 that i have all have newer OS which are different then the 4s.

The first thing is to determine the icloud account and password. If the phone was activated on an icloud account you will need the password if you attempted to/going to reset it. 

Even though you can use itunes to update it is not necessary, as long as you have wifi or data to communicate with apple servers. The advantage of itunes is that you should be able to updaye, if required, even if you do not have it setup with a carrier.

Are you able to use your sim in his phone or maybe hotspot to get his phone setup?

88cranston
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious Please keep us posted with your successes. 

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston  do I want to download to be compatible with my tablet (Samsung s2) or his iPhone 4s?

Apple products, in general, are only compatible with Apple products. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@stonechucker wrote:

Reading ALL four pages of this, just connect the phone to a Windows or macOS computer with iTunes.  This is not rocket science.

I should stay away more from the community, so much garbage here lately.

While I was mistaken when I said that there's no on-decvice activation on iPhone 4s, I would still say iTunes is the way to go as it requires really no setting changes. It's a simple as plugging it in and checking for a sucessful activation or carrier not supported message.

Thanks @computergeek541  i am hoping later today when the old guy gets up that a quick trip to the apple store will get it up and running that simply. I know its not rocket science to some but we might as well be lost in space when it comes to any kind if technology let alone apple products...his home phone is a rotary phone from the forties and his pick up truck is turning 40 so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

@stonechucker  When you take a cranky 76 year old man who only uses the free iPhone he was given as a phone whose been blindly giving $40 a month to fido at the bank every month because he has no idea how much his bill is since fido stopped sending him a bill in the mail and can't find his account number cause he's burnt all paperwork in his wood stove and a technophobe that has only graduated from a flip phone a few months ago and try to get them to activate public mobile on an iPhone with no computer access let alone apple access....IT IS ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!  I prepared myself for this endeavor by lining up a few members with iPhone experience to take us by hand down the apple path...i wanted to help my elderly neighbour save some money on his phone bill. He's not in a financial position to get another phone to call this thread a bunch of garbage simply because we don't have a clue what were doing but trying our best is well to put it bluntly..... is INSULTING! We all can't be up to date with every device and when it's the opposite of any knowledge you may have...i was aware of something you have to do with iTunes to make it work but I didn't know you had to directly hook it up to a computer.....and people suggesting Icloud  and I'm sitting in a run down 130 year old house with only a wood stove for heat, limited access to WiFi only because he can get it from the neighbour.....how about you try and make a croquembouche without a recipe and tell me how that turns out.

@stonechucker wrote:

Reading ALL four pages of this, just connect the phone to a Windows or macOS computer with iTunes.  This is not rocket science.

While I was mistaken when I said that there's no on-decvice activation on iPhone 4s, I would still say iTunes is the way to go as it requires really no setting changes. It's a simple as plugging it in and checking for a sucessful activation or carrier not supported message.

@sulagok wrote:

Actually it should activate without connecting to iTunes on laptop as long as there’s connection to apple server, unless the IPhone is locked and the SIM inserted is foreign (other networks).

@darlicious , hope you got my private message as my replies ain’t showing until now.

You're right that I was confusing this iPhone 4s with an iPhone 4 that never went past iOS 4.2.5.

@sulagok  Yes thank you got the pm. Will update tomorrow after visit to apple dealer.

sulagok

@computergeek541 wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 @Dunkman  Ok so the phone will not connect to the internet so we can go to an apple store to get it connected to iTunes. But is this preventing us from connecting to pm for phone and texting? SIM card is active and working on my flip phone with text and calling. Data also working. 

It's not your phone being unable to connect to the internet that is causing the inability for calls or text. You must activate the device first using iTunes.  That cannot be done using from an iPhone 4s device itself. It needs to be connected by USB to a computer.

Actually it should activate without connecting to iTunes on laptop as long as there’s connection to apple server, unless the IPhone is locked and the SIM inserted is foreign (other networks).

@darlicious , hope you got my private message as my replies ain’t showing until now.

@computergeek541  Gee to think I've been on a crash course of technology......the Mac world is a completely different planet. Doesn't help that the actual user of the phone knows less than me. Literally just used as a phone. So probably hasn't been updated in at least 2 years maybe more. So I understand the basics here...i think. IPhone needs to "update" thru iTunes. Will have fido unlock it thru apple( no codes for iphones). Then go to apple dealer to connect to iTunes ( 3 min away) to update ? Iphone to accept new network (pm?) Settings to enable it to call, text and use data. I hope I've got the basic understanding of how IPhones work. Will check in...im sure there is more to figure out. Pm SIM activation worked like a charm...pretty instant everything working, got text, email, self serve account all up and working calls in and out...all on my flip phone til we get iPhone up and ready to accept new SIM. Weird...smoothest activation yet just not a willing phone.

Thanks everyone so far you have been awesome...really needed your help on this one and will again tomorrow...cant tag y'all for fear of losing post.....thx thx thx

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 @Dunkman  Ok so the phone will not connect to the internet so we can go to an apple store to get it connected to iTunes. But is this preventing us from connecting to pm for phone and texting? SIM card is active and working on my flip phone with text and calling. Data also working. 

It's not your phone being unable to connect to the internet that is causing the inability for calls or text. You must activate the device first.

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston  So got Rogers support but can't give unlocking code but is sending iTunes info for connecting to internet in email. 

@darlicious 

Once again, there is no such thing as a network unlocking code for an iPhone device. The carrier needs to sumbit a request to Apple for them unlock it at their end, but at no time, is there a code that they can give you.

@88cranston  So got Rogers support but can't give unlocking code but is sending iTunes info for connecting to internet in email. Thought they should work for their money for one more day of service til we port number tomorrow. Will unlock tomorrow and go to apple dealer...they sell pm SIM cards! 3 min from my house. Figure out the iTunes thing and get back to you if we need some more help....im sure we will. He doesn't even text....

@88cranston  do I want to download to be compatible with my tablet (Samsung s2) or his iPhone 4s?

@88cranston  Still on "hold" for tech support. No mobile support available. I will download link and get back to you.

88cranston

Download iTunes from here if you don’t have. 

https://support.apple.com/downloads/itunes

Reset process. 

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201252

Watch for that last screen....it might say it is unlocked. 

Chat at might not be working.....too late ???

@88cranston wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston Will be going to apple licensed store tomorrow to access iTunes as there is no one here with apple access. My neighbour will get unlocking code when fido starts phone service in the morning. Just goes to show that having a phone number for customer service doesn't mean you can actually get any customer service beyond working hours.

If you chat with Fido here. https://www.fido.ca/consumer/contact-us Have imei ready and they will unlock. They have to unlock through Apple. And when you reset the phone on iTunes the phone will also contact Apple to confirm the unlock. NO CODES WILL BE GIVEN. 

Do you or he not have a computer?

@ I will try that now. Tried to ask their community earlier but that is always an exercise in frustration.

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

@88cranston Will be going to apple licensed store tomorrow to access iTunes as there is no one here with apple access. My neighbour will get unlocking code when fido starts phone service in the morning. Just goes to show that having a phone number for customer service doesn't mean you can actually get any customer service beyond working hours.

If you chat with Fido here. https://www.fido.ca/consumer/contact-us Have imei ready and they will unlock. They have to unlock through Apple. And when you reset the phone on iTunes the phone will also contact Apple to confirm the unlock. NO CODES WILL BE GIVEN. 

Do you or he not have a computer?

@88cranston wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

How to check if locked... in phone. It was given to him and he activated on fido a few years ago. So pre Dec 2017. So should we set up on WiFi and get unlocking code if necessary from Apple.

No....the carrier has to unlock it.  Let me know what you find here. 

https://imei24.com/check/iphone_lock_checker/

Will will give you next step when you respond. 

@88cranston  website said they had no info on it. If locked it's locked to fido.

88cranston

@88cranston wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

How to check if locked... in phone. It was given to him and he activated on fido a few years ago. So pre Dec 2017. So should we set up on WiFi and get unlocking code if necessary from Apple.

If you have a computer or laptop...windows or macOS......download iTunes to it. Use 30 pin to USB cable and connect phone to USB port on computer. Google the steps to take to reset it. 

88cranston

@darlicious wrote:

88cranston

Check here by imei number to see if carrier locked.  If it says unlocked....good. If not it will tell you what carrier it is locked to. 

To reset the passcode. You need to know what his email and password for iCloud account. You may have to log off FIND MY IPHONE. Then hook up to computer and do a full reset on it using iTunes. You wil have to set up the 4S again and will have the opportunity to set up the passcode. 

After you do do the full reset on iTunes one of the last screens you may see CONGRATULATIONS YOUR IPHONE IS UNLOCKED.  If it does not say.....the phone IS carrier locked. 

@darlicious 

As computergeek stated above, that iphone needs to be connected to itunes prior to working with Pubic Mobile.  Apple store should be able to do that.....

Need Help? Let's chat.