cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activated iPhone how to get service

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Just activated my neighbour's iPhone. Can access account but have no service. Asking to set up data? How do we proceed. Both clueless on iPhone stuff.....

49 REPLIES 49

@computergeek541 @Dunkman  Ok so the phone will not connect to the internet so we can go to an apple store to get it connected to iTunes. But is this preventing us from connecting to pm for phone and texting? SIM card is active and working on my flip phone with text and calling. Data also working. 

@Dunkman wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

How to check if locked... in phone. It was given to him and he activated on fido a few years ago. So pre Dec 2017. So should we set up on WiFi and get unlocking code if necessary from Apple.

When you insert the SIM card, phone automatically asks for it.  

Maybe try to set up on Wifi and see what happens.

Ideally, if your neightbour has an itunes account on their computer, connect to itunes and follow the prompts.

An Iphone 4s cannot be activated over Wi-Fi or using celluar data. iTunes is the only way to get through the Apple activation procedure because of the older iOS version that the iPhone 4s uses.

@darlicious 

I see that you were asking about using your Samsung tablet for this process. You'll need a a computer running that has a USB port and is Windows or Mac OS.

@darlicious wrote:

How to check if locked... in phone. It was given to him and he activated on fido a few years ago. So pre Dec 2017. So should we set up on WiFi and get unlocking code if necessary from Apple.

@darlicious and @Dunkman , there is no such thing as a network unlock code for an iPhone device.  When inserting a sim card from carrier that he phone wasn't initiially intended to be used on, it will not ask for an unlock code.

iPhone locks/unlocks are done based on information on an Apple server.  The Apple "activation" process involves checking if you're allowed to use the inserted sim card in that device.

@Dunkman wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

Ideally, if your neightbour has an itunes account on their computer, connect to itunes and follow the prompts.

No iTunes he's an old man lol only ever used as phone. Going to pop back to my house and try to connect to my WiFi because his won't connect/accept password. Will grab my extra phone to make sure SIM card is connected to pm.

@darlicious wrote:

(See computergeek response further below)

@darlicious 

From other thread:

I cannot even get to settings...just stuck on WiFi network request. Calls go to vm. Cannot receive texts. Owner only used as phone. Chose new number til porting over from fido in next couple of days. Sorry both in the dark about IPhones.

Interesting....   that usually happens when you have a "new" ipad/iphone.  Need Wifi connection to start acitvating the apple product.  Maybe try rebooting your neightbours phone. 

@darlicious 

If your Samsung tablet has Itunes installed....  I guess....   Usually desktop or labtop.....   Was the iphone 4S locked to Fido?

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious you mentioned this phone worked with Fido.  By chance is the phone locked to Fido?

Lemony_Snicket

@darlicious wrote:

@hairbag1  either goes to choose WiFi network or choose another network or use cellular network

@Lemony_Snicket  if  we can't access settings...where are they? How do you do factory reset?

Try setting, general, reset.  

@Dunkman wrote:

@darlicious 

it is iphone 4S and should work with PM.  With iphones, usually just insert SIM and everything sets up.  Maybe a network reset?  Connect iphone to computer via itunes.

Can i connect it to my android tablet? (Samsung)

@hairbag1  either goes to choose WiFi network or choose another network or use cellular network

@Lemony_Snicket  if  we can't access settings...where are they? How do you do factory reset?

Lemony_Snicket

@darlicious wrote:

Works ( ed) on fido is the model # enough?

I have the same phone, it works for sure.

@darlicious 

it is iphone 4S and should work with PM.  With iphones, usually just insert SIM and everything sets up.  Maybe a network reset?  Connect iphone to computer via itunes.

Works ( ed) on fido is the model # enough?

Lemony_Snicket

iPhone seems pretty easy to setup.  I am pretty new to this service.  I did a factory reset and connection was immediate.  I should mention that I have the same phone.  I think this phone doesn't have LTE capability, but it doesn't matter too much as 3G coverage is good.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Set up data on an iPhone

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:1) Tap:

• Settings
  • Cellular
  • Cellular Data Network

2) Input this info:

• APN: SP.MB.COM
  • MMSC:

MMS Proxy: 74.49.0.183) Leave all the other fields blank. Just hit save, reboot, and you’re good to go!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

Model#A1387 no idea how to access settings etc..will not connect to cellular network shows 3G

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Which iPhone you using ?

Need Help? Let's chat.