cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate but want to start later

Don_Hall
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My present phone plan resets on the 26 of October.  I would like to switch over at that time.  I started the process to see if there was an activation date selection.   I got to the point where it asked if I wanted to switch the number and the screen came up with the bold questions and I put in the account # and said continue.  

1.Have I switched the number to Public?  I did not go any further in the process.  

2. Phone is still locked if I asked to unlock today with Fido would they shut me off before the 26rth.   Should I wait until day before?

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

To OP:

Some places offer signing bonuses for moving over to in effect cover your losses. PM does not.

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Don_Hall wrote:

Have found that we are on prepaid and we just paid up until the 26

Then if you switch now, you lose the benefit of the 25 days you have remaining on the current cycle. You won't get a refund on pre-paid account. That's if you port the current number now.

GC

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Don_Hall, activation of a plan is immediate.  There are no options on this.  If you are not ready to activate, then defer the process.  Once activated the plan starts immediately.  As for porting, that can be done at any time.  It can be included in the initial account activation or as a separate step at any other time.  Generally, customers are encouraged to take a number during activation and then do the number port as a second step.  That way if something goes wrong, the account will still have a temporary number and the old service is not affected.

Judging from your description, unless you went as far as making a payment, you can back out.

Don_Hall

Have found that we are on prepaid and we just paid up until the 26

GreatCanadian

@Don_Hall wrote:

How do I telll if my present plan is prepaid or post paid

Can you log into your Fido account? You should be able to determine your plan settings there.

GC

Don_Hall

Phone is still working so far

Calimero
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As stated before, Fido is legally forced to unlock your phone for free on demand. All you need to do is to contact them. (Rogers does it over facebook chat, it's super convenient)

1) I do not know the answer, but i'd say you're safe until you complete your order (the final activate button) because at the very end there is an information confirmation page.
2) Unlocking your phone will not terminate your account, you could use your unlocked phone for traveling while keeping your Fido account active. Your Fido account will terminate when you port your phone number. 

I hope it helps,
Cheers

You should unlock your phone ASAP - just ask FIDO for the code as advised above.

As you want to bring your number with you, you must do it while your FIDO account is still active.  You can active a temporary number on Public now, and port later if you wish (via the self-serve interface).  You do not have to port right now.

The porting process will cancel your Fido account, and you will be billed within 30 days by Fido to settle up debts.

Don_Hall

How do I telll if my present plan is prepaid or post paid

GreatCanadian

Hi. This doesn't answer your question directly, but you are able to switch before your old plan is over. You will only be billed for the portion of the month that you were with them. But this only applies if it is a post-paid plan. If it's prepaid, then you are on the hook for the remaining days.

I don't think you have switched to Public Mobile as you didn't click "Activate".

You should be able to get your phone unlocked at any time with no cost or penalty.

GC

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Don_Hall wrote:

My present phone plan resets on the 26 of October.  I would like to switch over at that time.  I started the process to see if there was an activation date selection.   I got to the point where it asked if I wanted to switch the number and the screen came up with the bold questions and I put in the account # and said continue.  

1.Have I switched the number to Public?  I did not go any further in the process.  

2. Phone is still locked if I asked to unlock today with Fido would they shut me off before the 26rth.   Should I wait until day before?

I've not heard of future-date port over.

Carriers are required to provide unlock codes upon request for free.

I don't know about your #1. Is your service working and who is it with? Original or here?

Need Help? Let's chat.