cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate SIM at a future date?

baconator2999
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My current mobile plan expires 1 1/2 months from now. Can I register the Public Mobile SIM somewhere during the registration process to set the porting and activation of the future date?

9 REPLIES 9

@baconator2999 wrote:

My current mobile plan expires 1 1/2 months from now. Can I register the Public Mobile SIM somewhere during the registration process to set the porting and activation of the future date?

While Public Mobile doesn't provide an option to set a future date for the a future number port in, you can port into an active Public Mobile account any time you like. As to activating the service before you need it, I'm not sure why you'd want to do that unlesss there's currently some type of promotion that you believe won't be available later on.

@Ed404 wrote:

I scored an awesome Black Friday deal last year! I had accumulated enough credits to cover nearly half a year's worth of my $15 phone plan! 😁

It's almost my 1 year anniversary with Public Mobile and I will get $1 off a month!!! 🎉

So you got 6 or 7 referrals during that period?

So once you get your one year in, your rewards will be 6+2+1? 

Not bad!!

I am hoping to see same again too. I made business cards to hand out when Bell Mobility customers are lined up outside of Tim Hortons and then the Bell store. It has a brief description and offers a free SIM card.  😚😚😚(not really). 

@Ed404 

Good to see you still kick in around the community! Try not to be a stranger we appreciated your contributions.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I scored an awesome Black Friday deal last year! I had accumulated enough credits to cover nearly half a year's worth of my $15 phone plan! 😁

It's almost my 1 year anniversary with Public Mobile and I will get $1 off a month!!! 🎉

I hope Public Mobile suits you well @baconator2999 hopefully we get some more sweet Christmas rewards this holiday season! 😎

@baconator2999 

Sounds like you are saying your contract is over in one and a half months. Consider these options once you acquire your sim card. It's important to remember that your contract with a device subsidy works in this manner ( refer to your contract for exact details.)

As an example if you pay $70 per month on a postpaid contract. $40 is your plan and $30 is your device subsidy. Postpaid bills/contracts are prorated ( you only pay for the services you recieve.) With device contracts once you use and subsequently pay for a portion of your monthly billing period the WCC  legislation considers that an entire months worth of device subsidy paid.

Once you enter the final month of your contract anytime after the first day of that monthly billing period if you choose to port out (on day 2 for example) to public mobile ( thus closing your other providers account) your final bill will be as follows:

1. An entire month would be $70 ($40plan/$30device subsidy)
  2. Early cancellation fee (ECF) device subsidy × months remaining in contract.
  3. By porting on day 2 you will be charged a prorated amount on 2/30 days. $70÷30=$2.33 per day. 2 days×$2.33=$4.66 because the prorated monthly billing includes your device subsidy of $2 ($30 p/m÷30days=$1 p/day×2=$2) $4.66 Will be your final bill including your ECF of 1 month × device subsidy ($30) because the $2=:$30 as per the WCC legislation.
  4. Be sure to pay your 2nd last (for Oct?) bill in full before porting out ( or estimate and pay your normal amount if billing is delayed.)
  5.  You save based on the $70 example provided $28 + the difference in your plan amount between your current providers and public mobile.

Having a sim card ready and signing up for deal alerts and regularily checking in on the community you can time your defection from you current provider with a flash sale. If one occurs and will expire before your final month starts just activate with a temporary number from pm and port over on your 2nd day of your final billing period if a sale occurs after then just port your number in upon activation which will immediately close your account with your current provider.

You could also wait it out for most of November and decide which flash sale is most tempting ( if pm promotes all month like last year) finishing with a very generous black friday promotion and activate and port over your number during the black friday promotions (no guarantees that they have one though.) You must decide when porting your number will save you the most money!

Welcome to the public mobile community. Spend some time here over the next six weeks and we can help learn about public mobile and help you decide went to port over. @Ed404 did this last year and scored an awesome black Friday promotion and a community reward (Top 10%=$5) to boot!

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

You could activate a PM SIM with the $15 plan and take a PM number. Then suspend the account for up to 90 days, that exceeds your requirement. Then keep your current plan active, remove suspend on your  PM account, and request a port. And as mentioned, use a referral and receive a $10 credit. Your current account MUST be active to port. 

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@baconator2999  Scroll down this page and Register for Deal Alerts https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans

PM's special offers have lately been very short lived, and only for new accounts. So, it may be advantageous to sign up a bit early with a temporary number. You can transfer your old number anytime it is active; the exception is that Telus/Koodo numbers can be transferred even if account is suspended. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No not possible.

You could activate a plan but you would have to start paying right away for the plan.

So be sure you have a sim card ready to go and a few days before your other provider will renew do the activation process and port your number over.

Don't forget to use a referral code for a $10 sign up bonus.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@baconator2999 wrote:

No. You can port at any later time though.

Need Help? Let's chat.