cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account questions!

connold
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do all plans include nation wide data, all calling features such as call display, call forwarding, message centre or are all these features at extra cost?

Is the network a throttling network?

When I setup an account does my account only become active once I receive and activate my sim card? 

14 REPLIES 14

@connold wrote:

Once I sign up, build my plan and order my Sim Card does the monyhly package only commence once I receive my SIM card and activate it? Or does it commence from the time of signing up and pre -authorized payments established?

If you buy the SIM online, it is not activated until you do so yourself, opening your account starting here:  https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

If you go to a retailer like Walmart, London Drugs, WOW mobile, TMS, K-Mobile etc, they can set you up there and then, and some insist doing so. Technically you are able to just buy the SIM from a retailer, take it home and activate it at your convenience, though. (There is an important distinction re: activating in-store or online at home for promotions, so if there happen to be one at the time you are signing up make sure that you are accessing the system outline in the promo conditions.)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@connold wrote:

Once I sign up, build my plan and order my Sim Card does the monyhly package only commence once I receive my SIM card and activate it? Or does it commence from the time of signing up and pre -authorized payments established?

@connold the SIM card does not arrive activated, and you must have your SIM card in hand to be able to activate and to set up your pre-authorized payments (aka AutoPay).  Service does not start until you activate.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

connold

@connold wrote:

So even if I build my own plan, voice and data are only valid within the province or do I pay extra for nation wide data and voice as an add on?

As pointed out even with build your own you have the choice to choose provincial or Canada wide talk, or you can choose an add-on. In Canada add-ons are not time limited, they roll over until used up. So like @stonechucker suggested you need to decide how you plan on using your phone. PM is prepaid so no overages, if you do not pay for it in advance you will not be able to use it.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

@connold, how do you want to use your phone?  The province-wide voice is for whatever province you are 'actively' connected to a tower in.  So if you have an Ontario number, and live in Ontario, your in-province calls are covered.

If you take your phone to BC, you will still be able to call in BC at no charge, but calling back to Ontario will need Canada-Wide or Long Distance add-ons.

SMS/MMS and data services are nationwide.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@connold wrote:

So even if I build my own plan, voice and data are only valid within the province or do I pay extra for nation wide data and voice as an add on?

@connold

There is a pricing difference depending on the option you choosScreenshot_2019-01-28-11-04-13.png

connold

@mimmo wrote:

@krazykiwi I think you meant Canada wide talk not international.

Thanks, you are right I edited it.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@krazykiwi I think you meant Canada wide talk not international.

Thanks @Jessica_T, I'll edit that.

Jessica_T
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@connold wrote:

Do all plans include nation wide data, all calling features such as call display, call forwarding, message centre or are all these features at extra cost?

Is the network a throttling network?

When I setup an account does my account only become active once I receive and activate my sim card? 

@connoldYes they all include those features while across Canada. The only restriction is voice canada wide minutes vs provincial minutes.

The only throttling done is if you have 3G and connect to LTE with your phone, then the LTE network is throttled. But if you connect to 3G with your 3G or LTE plan, then 3G is not throttled.

You need a sim card number to activate.

@stonechucker wrote:If you choose a data plan, you have the option of FULL LTE speeds, or Throttled to 3GB/s speed on the LTE Network plans.

@stonechucker wow 3gigabytes per second! 😉

@stonechucker wrote:

Welcome to Public Mobile.

If you choose a data plan, you have the option of FULL LTE speeds, or Throttled to 3GB/s speed on the LTE Network plans.  Data can be used nation-wide, as can also the SMS/MMS and voice packages.

Your account can not be created without a SIM.  You must activate the sim, prior to assigning a plan and account setup.

The only thing I will add is that the plans that do not indicate "Canada Wide Talk" are only provincial talk. So you only have Long Distance with phone numbers in the province you are in. 

For example, if you live in Ontario you will have LD with Ontario phone numbers but if you travel to MB you will have LD with Manitoba numbers.

If either response to your particular request leads to the resolution of your issue , please help other community members by marking that post as the solution. Thank You

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile.

If you choose a data plan, you have the option of FULL LTE speeds, or Throttled to 3MB/s speed on the LTE Network plans.  Data can be used nation-wide, as can also the SMS/MMS and voice packages.

Your account can not be created without a SIM.  You must activate the sim, prior to assigning a plan and account setup.

EDIT:  As it wasn't specifically asked about in the original post, I did not include 'destination' calling or SMS/MMS references.  The base plans for ALL Public Mobile offerings can be utilized in any part of Canada that has access to the shared Telus and Bell network.  All services are used based in Canada, and limited only to plan options chosen, and various add-ons purchased to enhance.

Need Help? Let's chat.