cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question I don't know how to ask - US cell coverage in Canada

ichor
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Parts of my city are so close to the US, that they get US cell service (but not Canadian).

Am I likely to get extra charges if I go to those parts of town with my cellphone on?  

(sorry, I don't know how to say it.  I don't want to get extra charges for going to the beach because the phone thinks I left the country even though I'm still in Canada)

9 REPLIES 9

ichor

@gail709 wrote:

Turn on / off data roaming

Press the OK button on the Keypad.

Scroll and select Settings.

Under the 'Network & Connectivity' tab, scroll and select Cellular & Data.

Scroll and select Data Roaming.

Select On / Off.

Thanks for this but I think my phone must be too old.  When I go to 'connectivity' it only has four options.

1. Bluetooth

2. select USB mode

3. network selections (automatic/manual)

4. network profiles (which are based on the old plans of the old carrier)

But since it looks like PM won't throw extra charges at me for going to the beach with my phone, I'm happy.  

@ichor wrote:

The old carrier used to charge me extra if I forgot to turn my phone off before going to those parts of town.  

I just want it to not get service instead of charging me for stuff I don't want.

As mentioned, PM will never charge you anything extra as it's a prepaid service. US roaming actually works in our favor with PM. If you have Roaming turned on, you will be able to receive texts for free without any add-ons. If you need additional services while you are connected to towers in the US, you will need to purchase US roaming add-ons. 

gail709

Turn on / off data roaming

Press the OK button on the Keypad.

Scroll and select Settings.

Under the 'Network & Connectivity' tab, scroll and select Cellular & Data.

Scroll and select Data Roaming.

Select On / Off.

ichor

@fujiyama wrote:

Also, you can turn off Roaming on your phone, then you don't have to worry about accidentally connecting to US carriers at all Robot Happy

That sounds great.

um... any hints on where I can learn how to do that?  A 10-year-old flip phone and tech skilz to match.

(doctor who spelt it skilz in an episode so I thought it might be fun to try.  not sure it works for me)

ps, like the Robot Happy

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Also, you can turn off Roaming on your phone, then you don't have to worry about accidentally connecting to US carriers at all Robot Happy

If you are  in those part of town @ichor Where you lose the ability to return calls, texts. Download the TextNow app and use it over WiFi to return texts and calls for free. You can also use Google hangouts and Google dialer combined to make calls if on an Android phone.

@ichor wrote:

This makes me happy.

The old carrier used to charge me extra if I forgot to turn my phone off before going to those parts of town.  

I just want it to not get service instead of charging me for stuff I don't want.

ichor

This makes me happy.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ichor wrote:

Parts of my city are so close to the US, that they get US cell service (but not Canadian).

Am I likely to get extra charges if I go to those parts of town with my cellphone on?  

(sorry, I don't know how to say it.  I don't want to get extra charges for going to the beach because the phone thinks I left the country even though I'm still in Canada)

You'll even get texts while you happen to be connected to a compatible US tower. You may or may not get calls. No data. No outbound without roaming add-ons therefor no extra charges.

But there are options...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No extra charges with Public Mobile. What you pay is what you get. 

If you were to go to USA.. Public Mobile sells call, text, data USA roaming add-ons that you purchase. Tell sell 10 day add-ons for USA. 

You will never have overcharges with  PM. You pay 30 plan in advance. No additional bills..

Need Help? Let's chat.