cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new number not working

UniqueS
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just joined Public Mobile and picked a new number in my area. I noticed that the area code I was offered is different from the usual ones. (I am in Alberta so usually 403 or 587, but I was offered 825.) I did a search and learned that 825 is yet another area code for Alberta so I just picked a number from the list. But after I registered, I tried to call myself using my husband's phone (he's also with Public Mobile), the system won't allow me to call. It asked me to buy add on service, as if the 825 number is a long distance call. My husband has a province wide talk plan. So I don't understand what is going on. Something about the area code? I would actually like to get a 403 instead if possible. Can someone help?

20 REPLIES 20

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Aditharia9594  i beieve the instructions were given to you on how to contact PM customer service, which requires you to send a private message to moderators.

this service does not have a number to call for support.    the service model is not for everyone. 

Aditharia9594
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No i didnt create any self serve account.

and how can find out why is my number not in service, isnt there any service where i can just give my number and that person can tell me the status of my number. this is  so incovinient for the customers. there should be a customer service facility where a customer can just call an get their quiry solved. i am not happy with public mobile service.

mimmo

@Aditharia9594  public mobile only allows one tell number per selfserve account. 

When you were given the sim did you create a self-serve account?

Aditharia9594

so basically ive two numbers on my account but i am not able to find my other number in my account info. which is not in service. what should i do?

@Aditharia9594

We are all community members and we do not have access to your account.  You could try to contact a moderator (Public Mobile employee) as described above, but expect 1-2 day response time.  

Otherwise, you could screenshot your account status page and even your payment history page for us to have a look and give you a better idea of what is going on.  Omit personal information.  

mimmo

@Aditharia9594 

• are you certain you had two months free, I remember hearing 1 month free promos?
  • did you by chance create a selfserve account?
  • can you try calling 611 does it give you any info on your plan?  or possibly payment amount?
  • if it allows you to top up and it in essential buy a voucher from recharge.com 
  • you might need to contact mods by sending them a private message expect a 24-48 hour reply time.  info here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Get-Help/ta-p/251745

Aditharia9594

The promoters where at Lamton college in Toronto and they mentioned us that yoy can use the service for 2 months, basically they actived the number and recharged my the number with some promotional coupons. 

And if you havent heard about the this before can you please check the status of my number . It (647)xxx xxxx.

Thank you it will be a great help.

edit by mimmo removed tel number

@Aditharia9594

Not sure which promotion that you signed up for.  Have not hear about getting 2 months free service promotion....

You might want to screenshot your account page (omit any personal information).  Might provide us with more information.  

@Aditharia9594

I'm not sure who told you that you will have 2 months free...????

Your account is inactive ???

You will need the help of the moderator....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/getting_started

and explain to them what happened...wait for them they will help you...

Aditharia9594

Hey,

I am new to canada and i got a new public moblie number from my college on 2 January,2019  and the promoters of the public moblie told me you get to use the service for 2 months free and after the free serive is over you can select any plan of your choice but from past 2 days i am not able to call anyone and nor anyone can call me. And i have just completed my 1 montyh of free service. My number starts with 647 area code and i live in Oshawa. I am facing a lot of problem as im not able to call anyone in case of emergency. Can any one help me out to fix this problem.

UniqueS

@Dunkman wrote:

@UniqueS

Try changing your number to  587 number and wait to see whether you can receive calls and texts on your new number.  Might take 1-2 hours.  Hopefully, that would work....  

@Dunkman It worked. Thank you.

@UniqueS

Try changing your number to  587 number and wait to see whether you can receive calls and texts on your new number.  Might take 1-2 hours.  Hopefully, that would work....  

UniqueS

@Shutdown wrote:

Try adding a 1 infront of it. I tried calling a sask number just as a test without the 1 it wouldn't work, but with the one it worked and I am on CA wide calling.

@Shutdown No, adding a 1 doesn't make a difference. It still asks me to buy add-on because my husband's plan "can't do long distance calls."

UniqueS

@Dunkman wrote:

@UniqueS

It does look like that your husband's phone thinks that your new area code is out of province.  Does you texting work?  If you call your husband's phone, does that work?  Does the right number show up on your husband's phone?  Just wondering if your activation went throught properly.  

You can try to change your number again in the self service account.  Under plans and add on tab. Then choose change phone number tab.  Not sure whether you will get other area codes offered this time.... 

@Dunkman Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to change phone number and it does give me a different area code, which I find very interesting. When I registered, no matter how many times I've requested for more options, it won't give me anything other the 825. Today it is giving me 587 only.

You may also be right about the proper activation. I can call and text no problem, but cannot receive call or text at all.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try adding a 1 infront of it. I tried calling a sask number just as a test without the 1 it wouldn't work, but with the one it worked and I am on CA wide calling.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UniqueS

There seems to be a disconnect from the telecom powers that be and the telecom providers. This seems to happen everywhere. With the proliferation of phone numbers from all the telecom services out there, those telecom powers that be have made new area codes. I learned of a new area code in BC the same way you did. I chose a traditional area code initially though.

You could notify the mods here to let them know that they need to add this new area code to their system.

I'll tag them in here @CS_Agent

I suggest avoiding the tagging.  The moderator team are extremely overloaded as we all know.  This is the kind is problem that will require their intervention which means private message.  Bringing this thread to their attention is just a distraction.

Is it account provisioning not knowing the new area code? Or is it the system in general not knowing it? Wouldn't everybody else also not be able to call that area code?

Apologies on the tagging. You're right. (of course 🙂 ) I guess it's too late now.

@Anonymous wrote:

@UniqueS

There seems to be a disconnect from the telecom powers that be and the telecom providers. This seems to happen everywhere. With the proliferation of phone numbers from all the telecom services out there, those telecom powers that be have made new area codes. I learned of a new area code in BC the same way you did. I chose a traditional area code initially though.

You could notify the mods here to let them know that they need to add this new area code to their system.

I suggest avoiding the tagging.  The moderator team are extremely overloaded as we all know.  This is the kind is problem that will require their intervention which means private message.  Bringing this thread to their attention is just a distraction.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@UniqueS, this is an account provisioning issue.  You will want this corrected whether you obtain a new number or not.  Eventually you will be calling this area code.  You need need to get the moderator team to correct this problem.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@UniqueS

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@UniqueS

It does look like that your husband's phone thinks that your new area code is out of province.  Does you texting work?  If you call your husband's phone, does that work?  Does the right number show up on your husband's phone?  Just wondering if your activation went throught properly.  

You can try to change your number again in the self service account.  Under plans and add on tab. Then choose change phone number tab.  Not sure whether you will get other area codes offered this time.... 

Need Help? Let's chat.