cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A failure in porting phone number and want a refund

Young2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello there,

I was attracted by the low price public mobile offered. But my porting process is so difficult and cannot be processed. I cannot receive any phone or msg from others who not with Telus. This is not working. And I made my payment just yesterday. Can I have my money back?

22 REPLIES 22

HappyC

@softechThanks for your warm welcome.

What happened was that the team member at the Mobile Shop must have called that number to set up the ticket. Then, I started getting messages from the moderators right away. It was an error in the back end and took some time for them to identify and solve it. However, the moderators were always getting back to me and giving updates, which helped reduce the stress.

@HappyC wrote:

@Young2 

I hope you are willing to give Public Mobile a chance. They came through for me, and I know they will work hard to solve your problem.

well said and Welcome to PM.

When you had the Porting issue, did you try to call the Port team 1-844 number?

Honest, many providers also have some hiccup with Porting the phone line.  The only difference is that they have better customer support, I guess.

But generally speaking, once you get through the activation and porting, there is not much issue.  Voice and Data service are reliable.    🙂

HappyC

@Young2 

I, too, had a porting problem that was frustrating, (yes! I wanted to pull out my hair at one point!) but the moderators were WONDERFUL and it was solved relatively quickly, over the course of this past weekend, in fact.

The key is to start your ticket using the bubble on the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Watch your email for messages from the moderators, who will need to verify your identity and then will look for the reasons your port failed. Tech fails. Please don't let this set back ruin your impression of Public Mobile.

As for myself, after my porting headache passed, I am patting myself on the back for saving fifty bucks a month.

Please be patient! If you want to save money on your mobile bill, you are in the right place.

I hope you are willing to give Public Mobile a chance. They came through for me, and I know they will work hard to solve your problem.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Young2 

Oh boy you give up easy! Contact the moderators as you have been instructed and give up on getting a refund. Its going to take a lot if effort on your part......more than what it takes to port your number in then you will have to turn around fork out more cash, repeat the process of porting back and then fight to try and get a refund that if granted will take a month or more to recieve. I don't think you have it in you.

Do this instead. Get your number port completed. It'll be done by the end of the day. Take the next 28 days to get to know public mobile. Test out your service. Try out stuff on the internet that you used to do at telus and see if you notice a difference in performance. (Just don't do a speed test in the first 48 hours or so until your data is throttled or you can waste up to 500mb in one test!) Hang out in the community and ask questions, read threads and articles, use the search bar, participate in the conversation. You might even earn a community reward.

Then look at your wallet. How much did you save compared to your bill with telus? Did you have any extra charges on your bill? Did you look at the small print? Are they raising your bill by $5 next month?  Now look at your account at public mobile. Do you see your autopay reward? Your $10 bonus referral credit? Did you earn community reward? How much do you have to pay for another 30 days? How much to go back to telus? Did you save what you expected? If you were happier at telus pick up the phone, talk to the smooth talking voice assistant lady and listen to the irritating canned muzak, negotiate your return to telus and wait for the text authorizing your port and once recieved telus will port you back to a full service provider.

Or you could just stay....1/12 plan cycles done now only 11 more cycles til you see your first loyalty reward added to your account......with autopay that's $3 off your bill, Your bill gets cheaper......the longer you stay. Not more expensive. Oh and by the way........Welcome to public mobile!

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Young2 I am assuming that you couldn’t port over your old number so there was no service provided but you will have to pay for the SIM. 

@BKNS27 FYI: outgoing calls/texts and data should work almost imediately with the transferring number after activation, even if a port-in has been requested. However, a Telus/Koodo transfer cannot be processed during activation, but only AFTER service is activated with a new number. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Anonymous  @computergeek541 

I believe I suggested that buyer's remorse will not get the OP far. 

I don't disagree with what you're stating - - I just know from experience the bar is not set very high for credit card disputes.   The few I've done were resolved and credited back within days (a week or two at most).  

EDIT:  For the record, I also believe Credit Card companies should be placing the bar higher, but they make sufficient revenue from transactions & interest that they just don't invest the time or money into most of these disputes which are of lower transactional value.

In the end, folks who want to switch to Public Mobile should know what they're buying into - and I believe that most do, but as we know, some don't.  

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Young2 :You should contact the moderator team by clicking the white bubble at bottom right or click envelope button in top right, they can help fix everything for you same as the customer service people at other phone companies - difference here is that you waiting for private message replies for moderator while the community here keeps you company and helps you too, instead of waiting on hold for them and their supervisors, and here you'll save more money than other places.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@Young2 

Dispute the charge with your credit card provider under the basis the service supplied was not what you believed it to be or functioned as you expected it to. 

I disagree with this. The first thing the credit card issuer asks if the customer tried to resolve the issue with the merchant. Public Mobile's repsonsibility is to get the servcie working, but I'm not sure that Public Mobile has been given the chance to fix the situation yet. Credit card companies also ask the card user to sign sworn statements, place the case into an investigation procedure, and do not finalize a decsion until sometimes months later.  It's much simpler to get Public Mobile to perform the number port.  Being a prepaid service, Public Mobile isn't under any obligation to provide a refund when the customer has changed the decision about signiing up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : This is a porting problem that can be fixed. The service works other than incoming. The customer may not have followed the process as laid out during activation. It's just that the customer doesn't want to have to deal with it. If I were the credit card company I would not accept this is a failure to fulfill service.

So they can go elsewhere and pay more or other places that don't have the same features as here. Lesson learned.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Young2 

Dispute the charge with your credit card provider under the basis the service supplied was not what you believed it to be or functioned as you expected it to. 

If you position it simply as buyer's remorse, you may not get far.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Young2 wrote:

But I don't want to do it anymore cause it is really inconvenient.

How do you mean "inconvenient"? It's just a little hurdle. I assume you went through the transfering process during activation. Did you leave your old SIM in to confirm the transfer? Even now, perhaps you can put your old SIM back in and wait for the moderators to fix the transfer for you. Then confirm the transfer. When that service stops working then you can swap SIM's and you're away.

This place is a little more hands-on, self-serve than other places that do it all for you. But you pay for that.

@BKNS27 wrote:

@Young2 I am assuming that you couldn’t port over your old number so there was no service provided but you will have to pay for the SIM. 

@BKNS27 Are you suggesting that the OP is entitled to a refund? Seems the port didn't complete as they did receive calls from Telus numbers.

I think it is a simple thing that the mediator can fix quickly.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Young2 wrote:

Can I just simply cancel the service and request a refund?

@Young2 I suppose you can try. As others have noted, this service is prepaid and the T&C state non-refundable. Having said that, try pleading your case to a moderator. All they can do is say no.

How to Open a Ticket / Contact Moderators

1. Click Chat Bubble and type "Open Ticket"

2. Click "Contact PM Support"

3. Select "Account Specific Question"

4. Click "No, I Need A Human Now"

5. Select the link "Click Here To Submit A Ticket"

6. This opens a new window. Log in with Community Account NOT your self serve.

7. Provide log in info of Self Serve account.

8. Follow prompts.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Young2 wrote:

If you are on autopay remove your credit card information from self service. Your account will close after 90 days if no payments are made. You need to contact moderators about a refund.

Young2

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Young2 wrote:

It will be up to the moderators to grant a refund if allowed. There are usually no refunds on prepaid plans.

76B74527-5746-4221-9EC8-BB7EA665A74D.jpeg

@Young2 wrote:

hi either way 

you need to contact a moderator to help you can do so by clicking the chat bubble at the lower right corner,to avoid going around in circles with Simon say that you want a human to speak to, a ticket will then be generated briefly mention your issue 

you should get a response between 2 to 48 hours a reply should show up in your little envelope in the top right corner, you can also  send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here.

Young2

@Young2 wrote:

I was attracted by the low price public mobile offered. But my posting process is so difficult and cannot be processed. I cannot receive any phone or msg from others who not with Telus. This is not working. And I made my payment just yesterday. Can I have my money back?

Are you porting from Telus? The number porting process involves having the moderators process the request for you if you're coming from Telus or if number porting failed. You'll have to contact the moderators by opening a ticket at https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html and typing in "port request".  As you'll have to be contacting the moderators, they can process the number porting request/get this fixed for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.