cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Friend Would Like to Sign Up

Brit101101
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

However she is not tech savvy and in a different province than me. Will a Public Mobile sevicing outlet be able to help her out? She has a couple of old phones she would like to know if they can be used. No she doesn't know how to open the back up to get info on the phone.

If I provide her with my referral code would the outlet be able to sign her up and would I still get the benefits, the reduction in my monthly fee, believe it to be $1/month as long as she is with Pub. Mo?

She is in Newmarket ON and there appear to be some stores that carry Public Mobile.

She has a couple of flip phones which I suspect are out dated.

It is to be used as an emergency phone for her car, and she prefers a flip phone as opposed to a smart phone. Could she purchase a flip phone to work on Pub. Mo? If so where?

Thank you in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

Denis-49

All he has to do is to by a SIM card and wen he recived is cars he goes on public mobile .com for is subcription and once he is inscripeted he chooses a Mobile Phone Plan and then he put in te SIM card and is phone is going to work he as to wait a little time for it that is all he as to do and it is ease to do good lock to you

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Brit101101  Not sure what stage of sign up you have reached but I caution you to remember there is absolutely no phone or store support if she has problems.

ALL issues must be address here or with the moderators. See: https://www.publicmobile.ca/get-help

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@nordiko wrote:

Enter the specifics requested and stats will be displayed.This will already

give her an upfront idea if her phone/s can perform or not on Public.

As you suspect they are outdated (thus assuming probably the 2g or 3G frequency circa 2003), probably non functionnal on Public as 3G technology is slowly shutting down.

3g technology in the device is required for all phone calls at Public Mobile. As for 3g/HSPA networks being shut down, that's surely gonig to be true someday, but that's still several years away. 

nordiko

For starters I would suggest she go to :https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

then beneath the "PUBLIC" logo top left, change region to ON, then scroll down the page until you reach :

--> to find out if your cellular phone is compatible with our network,click here.

Enter the specifics requested and stats will be displayed.This will already

give her an upfront idea if her phone/s can perform or not on Public.

As you suspect they are outdated (thus assuming probably the 2g or 3G frequency circa 2003), probably non functionnal on Public as 3G technology is slowly shutting down.

As stated earlier, this is simply an initial step to verify the validity of said phones.

Hope this helps - stay safe

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@Brit101101 For health reasons, please consider against telling your friend to go to a store to activate. It can all be done online and there is online activation assistance. For Public Mobile, customers need to be able to navigate online to manage the account. Can you help your friend?

Yasehtor

I have to agree with using the live chat on Public Mobile.  I used it before signing up and got great information that was 100% accurate and helpful.

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If she is not tech savvy...Walmart stores (electronics dept) usually sell Public Mobile. They sell SIM cards and do activations.  She could check there but tell her to make sure they add your referral code. 

Congrats to you both! 😁

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Brit101101 

If she has very old Rogers/Fido flip phone which supports only GSM/2G signal, it will not work with PM because does not support GSM/2G.  PM uses 3G for voice call.  Therefore, phone should support 3G as minimum.

Brent_liza1

The best thing to do is call ahead to see if the representative can help her and for them to take time. Since public mobile has no physical stores it’s up to the rep to help how far they want to help. If she explains the situation they may have another time for her to come in and have possibly more than one person working. Just make sure she takes the phones and your referral code with her. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brit101101 : Lots of flip phones will work here. Lots won't either. We'd need to know the model #'s and maybe the carrier the phone was last on.

Yes many of those stores can sell and activate accounts. She would need to make sure they enter your referral code.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Brit101101 

Have your friend use the live chat for activations. Give your friend your referral code.

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Refurbished Phones for sale from PM:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/phone-section

Edit: As suggested by @Anonymous below your friend can activate in a store. You can use this store locator:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/store-locator

Need Help? Let's chat.