cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

672 area code

chrisjmdx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Having some trouble getting Google to accept my area code 672 # as a recovery #. Google seem to think it's not a Canadian # but rather an area code from "Norfolk Island", an Australian external territory. My optimum account won't accept 672 when I update my profile either

13 REPLIES 13

SpawDogz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Feb 24th, Apple just got back in touch with me and they said they still working on it. So far Square has most of their site covered except a couple places. Today WhatsApp accepted the 672 exchange. After years of using Fongo a VOIP number I am amazed at how to now get my devices to a trusted hardware device I have the most difficulty. Good job Public Mobile I like being ahead of the curve and this Company definitiely. I love that 672 is the country code for Antartica so easy to strike a good conversation over!! 

edited by computergeek541: picture removed (contains personal information)

SpawDogz

Exactly and if you contact the companies that have not updated their databases they appreciate it and work on it. I have had Square tech on it for 4 weeks now and they have been great during the whole process. Apple is at two weeks now. 

@allenw wrote:

If I remember correctly, you won't be able to use 672 yet as a Recovery Number because it hasn't been offically released to the public yet as Vancouver is still using up their existing and recycled 604 778 and 236 phone numbers. 672 was released in May 2019 but it won't be utilized for another few years according to their estimated speed of phone numbers being depleted. 

Nope. They are officially in use in Vancouver. They can't be used as recovery numbers at some businesses because those businesses haven't updated their databases. This isn't a Public Mobile issue.

allenw

If I remember correctly, you won't be able to use 672 yet as a Recovery Number because it hasn't been offically released to the public yet as Vancouver is still using up their existing and recycled 604 778 and 236 phone numbers. 672 was released in May 2019 but it won't be utilized for another few years according to their estimated speed of phone numbers being depleted. 

SpawDogz

Actually Google has updated them. I have support tickets in with Apple and Square who are both updating their databases. In fact their support team likes this issue and is working on it getting resolved. Already some aspects have functioned once they were aware of it. The joys of it... in fact 672 is the Country Code for Antartica! 

@yanzhiqiang wrote:

236 is new too in BC

Yes and no...not that new, about 5 years ago now.

604 - 1947

250 - 1996

778 - 2001

236 - 2013

672 - 2019

AE_Collector

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

236 is new too in BC

Yes many think that "1" is just an access code for long distance but it is actually the country code for Canada and the US. 672 looks to be Antarctica, not Norfolk Island. I would think that entering 1-672 would fix the problem making 672 an area code within country code 1 as opposed to 672 which is a country code like 1 is a country code.   In any event, it is a data base updating problem.

AE_Collector

chrisjmdx

Tried both of those but no dice. Thanks. though.

This is a shot in the dark but since Google is based out of the us, will it let you put +1 672 ### ####. Australia would be +61 in this case.

Or then try 011 1 672 etc?

Stay Safe!

chrisjmdx

Not sure to what extent the telcos and the web service provider companies keep these databases updated and who's responsibility it is to make sure they are. Google support...? Lol. 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Stay Safe!

Need Help? Let's chat.