cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 mins 1G data usage?

aoiete
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just registered PM for new 50 8G plan and only 5 mins it showed 1G used?  what happened?

i just did some speedtest on speedtest app. does that cost that much data?

25 REPLIES 25

@srlawren wrote:

@ckl wrote:

@srlawren

I still can't believe that we needed more than 640K RAM!

I think you just tipped your hat at your secret identity, Mr. Gates!

And a fruit-branded smartphone never needs more that 1GB of RAM

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ckl wrote:

@srlawren

I think you just tipped your hat at your secret identity, Mr. Gates!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren

srlawren

@ckl wrote:

So the point is, the less time the phone spends communicating with the cell tower, the better for the network and also the phone's battery life.

@ckl well, in theory.  However, typically as network speed increases and latency decreases, we seem to come up with more data-intensive things to do.  It's kind of like how when you start making more money, more often then not you start spending more and your lifestyle adjusts to the greater income.  Obviously there are exceptions to that observation, but I think the analogy is at least decent.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Numotiv

Nobody actually needs speeds that fast on a phone... however, IMO, having speeds that fast actually saves battery life and network congestion as the LTE connection spends less time (as in fractions of the second) getting data as opposed to the opposite end of the spectrum ie. EDGE speeds which could take tens of seconds for the same operation. So the point is, the less time the phone spends communicating with the cell tower, the better for the network and also the phone's battery life.

Numotiv
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is what I don't understand about carriers. Who actually needs (on a limited data plan) speeds that fast? That's what home internet is for. I'd rather them spend the money on improving coverage and service then upping speeds. 

@srlawren, it's an absolutely ridiculous speed for a phone! That test was done on a Galaxy S9. I don't exactly know what the swirly symbol is for, but it comes on at the same time as the VoLTE symbol, so they might be related.

srlawren

@sheytoon that is INSANE speed, holy cow.  What model of phone was that done on?  EDIT: also, what is that swirly symbol to the left of the VoLTE symbol in your status bar??

@stonechucker, yeah it was a work phone! 🙂

Haiggy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are new to the plan, you have full LTE service until the throttle kicks in as well, so you'd be able to scream through that amount in no time.

@sheytoon, all in a day's work eh?  That's some large and fast data!

Hope work is paying for that one 🙂 LOL

You can definitely use 1 GB on a single speed test. See below:

_20180912_102049.JPG

Numotiv

That is pretty drastic. I've used 850mb on the same plan in a few days. (4 or 5) noting that I've been streaming Spotify 8 hours a day at work.

szymon247
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yup, full LTE is full LTE on Public Mobile. During my first day, I burned through over 2GBs just speed testing at different locations, which was probably around 15 testing sessions. I considered it a one-time expense, figuring out how good is the full LTE here if I ever decide to move to a plan that has full speeds unlocked. I didn't find any places where it would drop below 100mbps, which I consider excellent.

That said, speed testing is literally the biggest data hog per time spent, as it uses full speed of your network constantly during its run. The speed test app seems to measure for a set amount of time and does not seem to have any data caps per test. At such speeds we're talking about 100-200 MB of data per typical test. That would be down to just a few megabytes on the "3G" LTE due to its much lower speed.

@lanlin wrote:

5 mins 1G is quite surprising to me as well. Guess I will have to upgrade my plan.

Why is that?  You like to do speed tests?  Depending on the location, LTE speed could surpass 100 mbits/s.  I kept a screen shot of my fastest ever speed test ever, 165 mbits/s down, 19.4 mbits up.  This equates to burning 20 Mbytes/s when downloading.  It takes 50 seconds to burn through 1 gig at this rate. 

As an aside, there are some people out there who believe that Public Mobile being a tier 3 brand gets sloppy seconds or thirds on the Bellus network.  This is not bad is such were the case.  Of course I don't believe for a minute that there is a QoS based on branding. 

lanlin

5 mins 1G is quite surprising to me as well. Guess I will have to upgrade my plan.

@computergeek541 wrote:

At the advertosed 3Mbps, 1GB of usage is impossible in 5 minutes.  However, Public Mobile does not always restrict the LTE speeds to 3Mbps immediately after activation that 3g speed plan.  In addition, Public Mobile does not throttle the 3g network speeds at all, and than can go up to 42Mbps, in theory.

At full LTE speeds, it is extremely easy to use 1GB.  I've had the speedtest

Net app use as much as 200MB in a single test.  For comparison, I can download 1GB of files in about 5 minutes on my home internet connection with a speed of 50Mbps.  The LTE network can go much faster than that.

It is a known fact that these 3G plans are not throttled on the first few days.  These tests were happening at full LTE speed. 

What's your speed test at?  It will tell us how much used.

Plus what other app used as well.  

I can speedtest and use 1GB in few tests.

At the advertosed 3Mbps, 1GB of usage is impossible in 5 minutes.  However, Public Mobile does not always restrict the LTE speeds to 3Mbps immediately after activation that 3g speed plan.  In addition, Public Mobile does not throttle the 3g network speeds at all, and than can go up to 42Mbps, in theory.

At full LTE speeds, it is extremely easy to use 1GB.  I've had the speedtest

Net app use as much as 200MB in a single test.  For comparison, I can download 1GB of files in about 5 minutes on my home internet connection with a speed of 50Mbps.  The LTE network can go much faster than that.

Jarvar

@Dunkgirl

Could be an update or some stuck apps. I had the same issue a few days ago beforr I turned off updates over cellular. I was good for a few weeks, then when I was out one day my data usage went over 1 GB the morning before I caught it. My suspicion is that some things didn’t finish updating over wifi and kept going where switched to PM’s data service.

Happened to another family members phone as well and they only had 500 MB data so we just outright turned off their data at 85% usage.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aoiete wrote:

Really? 

Go into your phone settings and check data usage and see what apps used all the data, maybe there is another app using data but 1gb is very easy to use up

aoiete

Really? 

aoiete

not tethering . just do a simple speedtest. I did this before on bell. I dont think that cost data that much?

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@aoiete wrote:

I just registered PM for new 50 8G plan and only 5 mins it showed 1G used?  what happened?

i just did some speedtest on speedtest app. does that cost that much data?

1GB in 5 minutes is very very easy and there is nothing that will use as much data as a speed test

bridonca

Yeah, don't do that!  I bet you have a ton of background tasks that are eating up data.  If you are tethering, those devices are probably also doing updates. 

Need Help? Let's chat.