cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g vs LTE

kodalux
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I was at Costco yesterday talking to the person at the cell phone booth.  They have Lucky Mobile (which has almost identical priced plans as PM and that's why I wanted his opinion).  I told him I'm done with fido in a month and he strongly suggested I don't go with PM when I get a new plan.  Said the only reason the prices are so much less than Bell/Telus...etc... is because PM and Lucky are 3G speeds while the others are LTE.  Told me I would see major slowdown if I went to PM as compared to what I have now with fido.  Any suggestions/advice/info on this for PM users?

7 REPLIES 7

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I’ve heard LTE is way better but the 3G seems to be working really good 🙂 I haven’t noticed a difference 

3G vs LTE https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Share-Your-3G-Real-World-Experience/m-p...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I switched to PM from Koodo about two months ago and haven't noticed a huge difference. PM is a good option if you want to save money and earn rewards.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If this helps with the decision making, I went the other way.  The family has migrated here and there has been no complaints.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

We have the reliablity of the newer network, but our speed is throttled to 3G speeds which works for many because they aren't streaming and only need a bit to get by.

Smiley Happy

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

According to Fido,you can usually expect downloads of 12 - 40 Mbps on their LTE. Of course, PM's 3G is throttled LTE at 3Mbps. With my phone on 3G, I have gotten downloads of 9-12 Mbps.

So there is a potential for a big difference, but not everywhere, for everyone at every time.

If you're not streaming online movies at high quality, PM's service won't dissapoint for the price!

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@kodalux , this service is throttled LTE. Actually, if you force the phone to 3G, you could get slightly better speed. Unless you are interested in measuring speed tests, you can't really tell the speed is throttled.  I have been here only a little while, totally happy to stay. 

Need Help? Let's chat.