cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3g/4g/5g

MailGirl1967
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was looking at changing my plan, but I see that all the plans seem to be only 3g speed.  Is this correct?  What about the latest 5g?

S

8 REPLIES 8

MailGirl1967

Thank you for your explanation.  It makes perfect sense the way you explained it.  Forgive my technical ignorance.

@MailGirl1967 

Telus is rolling out its 5G network. But Public Mobile is telus’ 3rd tier provider offering the lowest prices for less featured service. Once 5G really takes hold it wouldn’t be surprising to begin to see PM traffic on this newest network (you need a 5G capable phone as well) but it will still be throttled to 3G like speeds.

If PM operated at full LTE and maybe 5G what would keep every Telus customer from cutting their bill in half by moving to Public Mobile? Nothing (in theory). 

Realistically almost everyone here on PM doesn’t have a need for that sort of speed and really doesn’t notice the throttling of speeds to “3G Like speed”. In the future they could increase it to a higher throttled speed but wide open isn't going to happen here.

AE_Collector

MailGirl1967

Thank you for the info.  Frankly, I really don't know much about the "speeds."  But I know Telus was in my area putting in new equipment (which I thought was 5G stuff).  I hear so much talk about it, I thought I would look into it here at Public Mobile.  Thank you again.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@MailGirl1967 wrote:

I was looking at changing my plan, but I see that all the plans seem to be only 3g speed.  Is this correct?  What about the latest 5g?

S

Public Mobile plans are actually LTE connection just throttled to 3G.  The speed here is going to work for I would say 95% of the people and there have been very few complaints about it.  I am not sure are there any providers out there that have 5G Canada wide?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

MailGirl1967

That is really too bad!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Phone calls are handled by the 3G network.  Data is on LTE preferred with fallback to 3G network.  Data speed is throttled to 3 mbits/s up and down.  The data is marketed as 3G speed which is misnomer.  

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@MailGirl1967 

Public mobile supports 3G speeds.  Actually LTE connection, capped with 3G speeds.  No 5G speeds and I would not expect it in the near future.  

@MailGirl1967 wrote:

Public Mobile customers can only use the HSPA and LTE networks. Currently ofered plans have a speed limit of 3Mbps when using the LTE network. There is no 5g at Public.

Need Help? Let's chat.