cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: 3G vs LTE

wow, that's over 2x faster for data than the lte auto option!

Mayor / Maire

@Triguy wrote:

LTE is normally faster than 3G but PM throttles it to 3MB/sec. 3G is not thottled so it's around 15MB/sec. 

We wish! Smiley Happy

Throughput speed is generally written based on bits per second or bps. In this case it's mega bits per second. So that would be Mbps. Could be all lower case mbps. But the capital B generally means Bytes which this certainly is not.

Not calling you out. It doesn't matter. Just if you're interested. Smiley Happy

sorry for the duplicate post!

Mayor / Maire

@mynewhome You left a blank post. If you like, you could click the 3 dots to the upper right corner of your post and click Edit Reply.

@z10user4 wrote:

@Triguy wrote:

LTE is normally faster than 3G but PM throttles it to 3MB/sec. 3G is not thottled so it's around 15MB/sec. 

We wish! Smiley Happy

Throughput speed is generally written based on bits per second or bps. In this case it's mega bits per second. So that would be Mbps. Could be all lower case mbps. But the capital B generally means Bytes which this certainly is not.

Not calling you out. It doesn't matter. Just if you're interested. Smiley Happy

We could argue that a small/non capital letter "m" could actually mean 1/1000th, although I've never heard of anyone using that as a measure of internet speed.  The problem with saying 3MBPS has to do with that Mb and MB are both commonly used and mean different things.  As you know saying 3MBPS or 3MBps is really 24Mbps, which Public Mobile most certainly doesn't provide on the LTE network for these "3g" plans.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't normally watch videos on data, stream music, some gaming, scrolling fb. I set up a mobile hotspot when out with the family where there isn't free wifi, so I'm really leaning to more data rather than faster data. My ONLY hangup is that I can never get back on this plan that I currently have. 

which plan is that?

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 4.09.13 PM.png

@canuckfan77, I'm on the same plan, and I've been thinking about changing to the 3G speed options as I do not use all 12 GB of data, nor do I see the 'fast' speed of LTE where I use my data.

I'm currently signed up to change in early June to the new $25 plan, with fewer data.  I've been cancelling each time, as I don't want to regret leaving the $120 package.

It's a tough call.

I really don't notice a difference using LTE vs throttled LTE. My reception was so bad with Fido LTE I could never use my phone unless I wasn't home. But with PM the data speed is fine for what I need.