cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

365-area code in 905-area

olegdolzikov
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just subscribed to Public Mobile and got my 365-area code Public Mobile phone number, however while trying to call this number from my 905-area home phone (I live in Oakville) was prompted to dial 1 first as it would be a long distance call?

10 REPLIES 10

olegdolzikov

Thanks for suggestion - I called the land line provider and they solved the problem

@will13am wrote:

Numbers are recycled daily and early in the day.  I suggest checking after midnight each day.  Getting a 905 area code number is possible, just takes a bit of work.

@olegdolzikov 

Without requiring a moderators help, I know that the amount of numbers shown at a time is rather limited on at the self serve site. The change number feature also lacks the ability to search field for any partterns or last 4 digits of a phone number.

You can definitely change to a Toronto phone number if you wish. However, you're more likely to get a 437 area code phone number than 416 or 647

I see that it has already been convirmed that 365-996-xxxx is an Oakville number.  The incorrect long ditsance messages (or long distance charges) is something that your landline provided needs to fix. This isn't a Public Mobile issue.

If you're trying to get a number with a specific area code, Telus Mobility allows users to search for the desired last 4 digits and they also have an option that searches for a phone number associated with good luck/good fortune. You could then port such a phone number once you find one that you like to Public Mobile.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Numbers are recycled daily and early in the day.  I suggest checking after midnight each day.  Getting a 905 area code number is possible, just takes a bit of work.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Mistakes can happen. I recall installing a PBX for a business that was given 604-439-xxxx in Burnaby BC back in mid 80's. All was good until they discovered that no one outside of BC could call them.

Yep, I've been involved with a company here in Sask that switched their office phone system to a VoIP based system late last year, and encountered 2 SK prefixes that they could not call, and 1 incoming source unable to call them. All had to be worked out by the SIP trunk provider, and their "upstream" providers... Takes weeks each time lol.

Mistakes can happen. I recall installing a PBX for a business that was given the brand new 604-439-xxxx exchange in Burnaby BC's HEmlock exchange back in mid 80's. All was good until they discovered that no one outside of BC could call them. NPA-NNX are all mapped into the phone network toll switches throughout North America so a call to an invalid exchange is blocked at the originating end, not sent to the suspected terminating end only to be blocked. Thus, if the memo isn't sent out properly all other areas don't know of new exchanges.

AE_Collector

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@olegdolzikov wrote:

Just subscribed to Public Mobile and got my 365-area code Public Mobile phone number, however while trying to call this number from my 905-area home phone (I live in Oakville) was prompted to dial 1 first as it would be a long distance call?

According to CNAC, (365) 996-xxxx is the only prefix for Telus (Public mobile parent company) for Oakville. Is that the number prefix you chose? I'm not familiar with the area, and what other rate centres should be considered a local call:

http://cnac.ca/data/COCodeStatus_NPA365.htm

EDIT: Saw after I posted you confirmed the number is 365-996-xxxx. I'd definitely be interested to hear what your land line provider says if you ask them why it's saying long distance from your land line. Otherwise, you can change your number to any area code in Canada (once every 30 days) where Telus offers service with the change number option in self serve. 416 or 647 may or may not be available depending on the city you choose...

olegdolzikov

Next 3 digits are 996 (365-996-xxxx)

olegdolzikov

Can I change my 365 Public Mobile phone number to 416- area number or 647-area? If those area codes are available from Public Mobile.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

what are the next 3 digits of the 365 number.  those are what determine the location/city of a number

if those are for the correct city then you would probably need to contact your landline provider and ask them to investigate. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@olegdolzikov That's unfortunate. I think you'll have to take that up with them as they decide what constitutes LD from your landline.

edit: Of course, calling your Canadian landline through your cell phone from Public Mobile it will not be.

Need Help? Let's chat.