cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$25 - 30-days - UNLIMITED Talk Province-wide² + UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging

natyd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just some questions … I cannot figure out my new plan. Any help will be welcome!

I have just bought the plan $25 - 30-days + UNLIMITED Talk Province-wide² + UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging VOICEMAIL & Call Display

1. First question is about UNLIMITED Talk Province-wide²

I'm from Kingston, On, … if I am going to visit my son in Toronto? Are the calls from Toronto to Kingston free? or from any Ontario's town to Kingston free of charge?

2. Second question ib about UNLIMITED International Text and Picture Messaging

I have just checked … I sent an international message, and I received one. There were no charges. However, if I am sending a message locally in Kingston, or anywhere in Canada, will these be charged?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

14 REPLIES 14

horemansus
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Quote"So, for brand comparisions, I would evalulate the other carriers' LTE data+Canada-wide calling plans with Public Mobile's plans that offer the same.

Most of us are looking for a useful and affordable service at a fair price. If 3g speed suffices then the comparison is valid.

Note too, that setting the phone to HSPA will likely give you more speed when you need it. I typically see 10mbits plus against the throttled 3 mbits on LTE. 

@horemansus wrote:

Many 3G plans are now Canada wide, so this issue goes away.. No missed calls.

Expect Canada wide is only on 3G so as to keep Public Mobile a notch lower than the other brands.

In any case, I find 3G speed  (connrcted to the LTE network) is more than sufficient for browsing.

LTE speeds in combination with Canada-wide calling are available for Public Mobile customers.  So, for brand comparisions, I would evalulate the other carriers' LTE data+Canada-wide calling plans with Public Mobile's plans that offer the same.

horemansus

Many 3G plans are now Canada wide, so this issue goes away.. No missed calls.

Expect Canada wide is only on 3G so as to keep Public Mobile a notch lower than the other brands.

In any case, I find 3G speed  (connrcted to the LTE network) is more than sufficient for browsing.

The only thing I think was missed,and maybe it was not....

The OFFICAL STANCE of Public Mobile is that stand in a province connected to a tower that is NOT in your home province will not be received WITHOUT long distance addon minutes.  SOME users have said they do receive calls to their phone while travelling, but PM says it should not happen.  This is also the case for visited province calling you while in visited province.

sms, mms, and data functions are all the time available in areas covered by Public Mobile, in Canada.

horemansus

Yep, better than getting hit with accidental roaming charges for an accidental connect to a US tower near the border!

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@wetcoaster: Thanks a lot for the clarifications and filling in the gaps. 🙂

natyd

I like this, I am passing the US border several times a month, and I was andering if I have to switch off my phone.

Thanks for your answer.

natyd

Thanks for letting me know that "if a service is not included within whatever plan or add-on as purchased, it will simply not work."

@Cheetah24 wrote:

Hi natyd, 

Thanks for choosing PM. To elaborate more on the above answer, 

1) Unlimited province wide means that all calls within the province are free for you. That is as long as you are within Ontario all inbound and outbound calls are free for you. However if you leave your home province roaming charges will apply. 

2) All text and picture messages are free regardless where you send or recieve them. If you send a picture message from Ontario to Alberta, or Ontario to New York; its still free for you. 

Hope this clarifies further. Let us know if you have any questions. 🙂

@Cheetah24

Public Mobile doesn't have roaming charges in the classic sense (ie fees charged to your account as you use minutes outside your province) - this service is entirely prepaid. If you don't have a long distance add-on (or use a VOIP service over WiFi or on prepaid data) your "roaming" calls to numbers outside of the province where you are will simple not connect.

(not able to link to the according article right now, but there is plenty of important information in the Knowledge Base...)

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

A lot has already been covered.  I try to fill in the remaining gaps.  This service is prepaid.  The good thing about that is if a service is not included within whatever plan or add-on as purchased, it will simply not work.  There won't be surprised bill for extra charges.  That said, with respect to the province wide calling feature, it works practically the same when visiting another province.  You can make calls to anywhere within the visited province.  You will also be able to receive calls from anywhere.  The only thing that is not covered is calling back to the home province, because when leaving the home province it no longer becomes the home province as far as calling goes.  There are very affordable calling add-ons with minutes that do not expire.  It is quite simple to convert a province wide calling plan into a Canada wide calling plan with the purchase of a long distance add-on. 

Cheetah24
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi natyd, 

Thanks for choosing PM. To elaborate more on the above answer, 

1) Unlimited province wide means that all calls within the province are free for you. That is as long as you are within Ontario all inbound and outbound calls are free for you. However if you leave your home province roaming charges will apply. 

2) All text and picture messages are free regardless where you send or recieve them. If you send a picture message from Ontario to Alberta, or Ontario to New York; its still free for you. 

Hope this clarifies further. Let us know if you have any questions. 🙂

Korade

Hi natyd,

Regarding your first question, the province-wide talk is by area code. If you are calling an area code located in Ontario, then that falls under the province-wide calling regardless of where you are in Ontario, as Public Mobile does not have calling zones. 

You are not charged for local texting. The wording is a little ambiguous, but I think Public is trying to indicate that the texts are international-reaching. You can use your texts locally, within Canada or internationally freely.

Good luck,

Korade

geogolem
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A little background:

Public Mobile service only works in Canada and the US (with roaming add-on). i.e. your puiblic mobile SIM card wont even connect to anythnig outside of Canada/US and without a US roaming add on purchase it wont even connect to anything in the US.

Hopefully this can answer your questions:

1) Please refer to the following link for more details:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/What-is-Province-wide-calling/td-p/2404

2) Unlimited International messaging means you can send and receive as amny text messages as you want. Public mobile is a prepaid service so you wont be charged for anything. In the worst case you simply wont be able to do something (if its not included in your prepaid service plan). If you are able to make a call or send a text then that is fine; the only issue would be if you were not able to make a call, send a text etc. and you thought it should be included with your service -- then you might need to investigate further.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@natyd 

• 1) All home province is unlimited
  • 2) All world is unlimited

To be able to sent and receive MMS you would have to setup APN on your phone. 

Please, read this: click here

Need Help? Let's chat.