cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Black Friday 5GB Promotion Data expired after 1 year?

jeffohs
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife got the Black Friday 5GB promotion back in 2019, on her 1.5GB plan. In both last and this month (Dec 2020 and Jan 2021), she got notified by sms her data ran out, which she never before. I wonder if that 5GB promotion actually expired exactly 1 year after, instead of staying on for as long as she remains as a customer. Anyone (preferably a staff from Public Mobile) can confirm?

9 REPLIES 9

@popping 

My primary phone plan is the $15/250mb but it has 18gb of data add ons on it. With my new moto g7+ i have noticed a much higher data usage than normal so my data warning went off at 100mb and the limiter stopped my data at 150mb. I reset for 175mb and 200mb. Again I reset at 225mb and 250mb. Again after the warning sounded my data stopped at 250mb. I have reset again for 300mb.

I have not recieved a single text message about my data from pm....I have for my minutes and my texts.

rajm
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey there.

From what I have read, the add-ons do not expire. Whether you buy the or you get them via a promo, they should work the same way.

If you are still certain that your data is missing, I would recommend you to raise a ticket to the mods.

Thanks for posting.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous wrote:

@popping : Yes the limited minute plans get the 10 minutes or texts left. But the data is what all is attached to the account. Perhaps your son also coincidentally went through the other 5gb in that meantime.

His account still has total of 7GB data add-ons left at the beginning of his current billing cycle renewed on Jan 12.   After 14 days into the current cycle, his account still have 4.5GB data add-ons left ATM.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping : Yes the limited minute plans get the 10 minutes or texts left. But the data is what all is attached to the account. Perhaps your son also coincidentally went through the other 5gb in that meantime.

popping

@darlicious wrote:

@popping 

Has the data warning changed? It was my understanding that there is no plan data warning when there is a data add on in one's account. Instead you recieve the warning when you hit 75% and 90% of all data ( plan and add on) in the account. 

Good question. 

I have a $10 plan.  I work from home and I do not use data add-on.  I have total of 1400 minutes add-on on my account.  I received the 75% text warning text on my minutes usage during a 60 minutes phone calls even I have over 1400 minutes add-on.

I changed my son's account to the $15 plan with 250MB data in order to use the free data add-ons from PM.  He confirmed that he received the 75% text warning message 2 days into the $15 plan.  He uses about 5GB data per 30 days cycle = average 171MB data/day.  This is why he received the 75% warning text message on the second day into his 250MB plan.

@popping 

Has the data warning changed? It was my understanding that there is no plan data warning when there is a data add on in one's account. Instead you recieve the warning when you hit 75% and 90% of all data ( plan and add on) in the account. 

The reason that @jeffohs wife never recieved a warning before would be that she would run out of plan data and dip into the bonus add on data(s). Which may or may not have included 2019 and 2020's holiday gifts of 1gb and 2gb (5gb+1gb+2gb=8gb) and the summer 5gb match shaw offer in the west of 5gb(=13gb?) The wife has likely depleted all of the bonus data add ons and as you suggested should check that she is or should be upgraded to the current $35/2.5gb plan or consider the $40/5gb plan for her data needs.

popping

@jeffohs 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/NEW-OFFER-2nd-Month-Free-BLACK-FRIDAY-S...

According to the 2019 announcement, the 5GB is a one time add-on.  The 5GB data is not part of your plan.  Data add-on does not expire.  Unused data will be rolled over to next billing cycle until all 5GB data are used.

The warning text message is for her plan data usage.  PM does not warn you on your data add-on usage.  Check her usage for the last 2 months, she may use more data for the last 2 months.

If she still have the old $35 plan with 1.5GB data, she should schedule plan change on her next renewal date to the new $35 plan with 2.5GB data with autopay enabled.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans/35for1GB-3Gspeed

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeffohs : This kind of add-on stays on the account until used up. Officially, if you changed plans then it would drop.

How these things work is that at each renewal you use the renewed pot of data from the plan. If you use up that data before the next renewal then your phone will use the add-on pot. Then at your renewal it goes back to your plan data and the add-on steps back and waits to be needed again.

It sounds like you've now gone through that pot and would now just have plan data. Perhaps you even used free data gifts that have happened too if you got them.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

The add-on should remain in your account until they are used up.  If you made a plan change then you may lose the add-on.  Check your usage history.

Need Help? Let's chat.