cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 phones. 2 sim cards. 1 phone number

thomasallenlee
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have one number and no interest in having a second one.  However, I use it on 2 different phones.  One of them is an iPhone that I use for work because the app that I use for work performs better than on my Android phone.  I prefer the Android phone for personal use because of it's features, look and feel. The problem is that in order to do this with one phone number means that I am constantly swapping the SIM card.  Is it possible to attach one phone number to two different SIM cards, so that I do not have to be constantly making this switch?  I know that I could just get another number at the fantastic rates offered by Public Mobile, but, really, I just want to use the one number on two phones.  Thank you in advance if someone has a work around, or if this option is something availble and of which I was unaware.

8 REPLIES 8

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi @thomasallenlee

Hope you're doing well! 

Actually, you may select a data plan only if that's all you needed. You may select the "build your own plan" and then choose data only to make the plan you desire to have. 

Hope this helps! 🙂

thomasallenlee

A data only plan would be perfect, and this is a very good suggestion.  I wish data only plans were available from Public Mobile.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@thomasallenlee you might want to look into getting a tablet plan from Fido.  You are only supposed to be able to get them if you already have an active post-paid mobile plan with them, but some have expressed success getting the tablet plan on it's own by going to an independent retailer as opposed to a Fido dealership.  If you are successful, you will get 3GB of data for $15/month (plus an up-front activation + SIM card cost of course).  The plan is data only--technically there is a phone number attached to it but it's not used.  You could put that in your iPhone for your work use and just keep your PM SIM in your Android phone.

OR, as you say, use the hotspot on the Android phone.  If you go this route, you might want to carry around a portable battery pack, since having WiFi hotspot enabled can chew up your battery capacity much more quickly than normal.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

thomasallenlee

My current number is through Public Mobile.  That said, I also have a MagicJack number and the app on my phones.  This might offer a possible solution as well.  One other thing that I could do would be to create a hot spot on my Android (with the Public Mobile SIM installed) and link my iPhone to it.  I really only need the iPhone in order to use the app for work.  This solution does work, but necessitates me carrying both phones on my person all the time. As solutions go, it is a little clunky.  Utilizing 2 SIMS withi a single number would be ideal for me, but since it just won't work, so be it.  Of course, I can just continue to keep swapping out the SIM card.  Thanks for the response.

@thomasallenlee, that sounds like a no go, I agree with GC.

Here's a thought.  Is your number currently with Public Mobile, or is it elsewhere?

I use the Fongo app as a backup contact number for my devices.  Only one device is cellular, but the Fongo app lets me answer any forwarded messages on any of my 'currently on' devices.

In theory, you could port your number to Fongo, and activate two PM SIMs for your iPhone and the Android device.

Unless the SIM card is specifically required for use by the app (I'm assuming it's an iPhone app you're speaking of) this could work for you.

thomasallenlee

Good enough.  I suspected as much, but the question was worth asking.  Thanks.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@thomasallenlee, this isn't possible

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I am almost 100% certain that the answer is NO.

GC

Need Help? Let's chat.