cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$15 plan incmong calls were calculated

Lucyzhou
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

I have $15 plan. According to the plan, the incoming calls and toll-free number are free. However, from my usage history, all these calls were accumulated to 100 minutes.  

How to correct these errors?

Thanks 

14 REPLIES 14

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Hey, I'm a cynic, lol. I don't believe outrageous claims unless I see outrageous evidence. I put little weight on internet hearsay, much weight on hard specs and legal shackles.

The OP post for this thread was the first time I've seriously considered this free-toll-free issue. I probably did dismissively gloss over "many" threads/posts about the topic before.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Korth   I guess you've missed the many threads/posts discussing this over the last year or so that toll free numbers don't use airtime on the limited plans and as mentioned has been tested and confirmed by quite a few of us. 😊

BTW this holds true for discontinued $10 plan which only has 50 mins available in/out.

It makes sense to me that toll free calling shouldn't penalize customers with limited mins since those calls mean long waiting periods, quite often, just to connect to the right person/dept  which is completely out of the customer's control.

However, we also have to always remember, since this policy seems to be "unofficial" rather than standard practice by PM, it's up to customers to keep track of how this type of calling is being treated in their plans as things can and seem to change here without any official notice.

Pound
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My own experience can also warrant that calls to toll-free numbers are not counted toward your plan minutes. 

@Korth 

I am in Saskatchewan (so using SaskTel physical towers), on the $15 plan, and 800 type calls do not consume minutes. Most probably nationwide.

What I noticed from testing is that the minutes will roll up in real time if you refresh the selfserve overview page during a call. Not so during a toll free call. Also interestingly 1 minute will immediately deduct when an outgoing call starts ringing - but if you end the call before the other end answers, the minutes used counter will actually subtract back to the starting amount.

Thinking too much now - another nicety would be if a call queue has a callback option, that would be included as well with the $15 plan.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Korth I can confirm what was stated by @Nezgar . I recently called a Canadian toll free number (on the $15 plan from the Maritimes) and no minutes were used from my 100.

@Nezgar 

That's great news if it's true. Nobody wants to spend 100 minutes waiting on hold, lol.

But is it true in all provinces/territories? Is it true when local towers are Bell/SaskTel equipment? Is it true regardless of where the toll-free number is based or only for certain (Canadian) subsets of the number block?

My plan just renewed a few days ago. But I'll try to put this to the test - try to gobble up remaining minutes on some kind of toll-free call - a day or two before my next renew.

@Korth wrote:

I don't recall any mention of free calling to toll-free numbers in PM's $15 plan "Offer details", in PM's Service Terms, or in PM's Get Help pages. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Officially" you area correct... It's not claimed anywhere on Public Mobile's plan details. However, unofficially, currently calls to toll-free numbers do not consume your minutes on a $15 plan. Confirmed myself, and observed by many others when watching consumed minutes on the overview page of self-serve...

I don't recall any mention of free calling to toll-free numbers in PM's $15 plan "Offer details", in PM's Service Terms, or in PM's Get Help pages. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dialing out to toll-free numbers is always "free" in terms of not having to pay any long-distance charges.

But it's still talk time. Not "free" when it's using limited outgoing minutes.

Talk time is also rounded up to the next full minute. Even when call duration is just seconds.

Sometimes, rarely, strange quirks in the networks (or maybe legacy accounting systems) will bill specific calls by the second instead of by the minute. But don't bank on it.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Lucyzhou 

The "usage history" in self serve always shows ALL calls, whether they use minutes in your plan or not. There is nothing there that indicates if calls used minutes or not.

The only way to confirm for yourself if calls use minutes is to refresh your remaining minutes before and after calls on the overview page.

Keep in mind that calls are always rounded up to the next full minute. A 5 second call uses 1 minute. A 1m10s call uses 2 minutes. Calls to voicemail use minutes.

A $5 500 minute add-on is a great deal as previously mentioned. The minutes never expire until completely consumed.

@Lucyzhou the SIMon link doesn't work.. pm removed it. 

click on the question mark chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen
type "no service"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
*login using your community account

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

@Lucyzhou Try clearing your browsers cache. There is nothing wrong with the link provided by @Triguy . Follow his suggestions and you will be OK.

Lucyzhou

I tried to go to the site you mentioned.  However, it showed: 

Did you mean publicmobile.ca?

The site you just tried to visit looks fake. Attackers sometimes mimic sites by making small, hard-to-see changes to the URL.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Calls are rounded up to the nearest minute and calls to check voicemail from the phone are counted.  You could contact a moderator.

Here’s when and how to contact the Moderator Team:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

You can send them a private message.

Here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Lucyzhou
It clearly states the following:

• this plan includes: -
  • - 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • - 250 MB at 3G speed
  • - Unlimited International Text

However, it still adds the incoming minutes.

Need Help? Let's chat.